natmap raster explore oz

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 20:22
ThreadID: 4050 Views:2698 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
david/michelle
are these maps compatible with all gps and laptops i am currently trying to set up a laptop with the information needed for bush travel.also can any readers recomend a reasonable price gps (i know you get what you pay for ,so not cheap and nasty)that will connect to laptop and the maps etc that can be purchased i have a gme uhf radio and i am happy with that but what are there gps`s like
steve/gob89 nissan looking foward to august and more travelling
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 20:36

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 20:36
GOB,

NatMap raster maps work on all PC Windows platforms. You can obtain (for free) the goereferencing data from the OziExplorer web site. This means that you can use them perfectly in OziExplorer. Your laptop will not talk to any GPS without some form of software. Magellan for instance have a program (called MapSend) that can talk to the GPS and upload/download data. Garmin have the same thing called MapSource. These products can interface your GPS and laptop and allow you to upload and download certain maps into mapping GPS units. You cannot with any brand of GPS at the moment load the Natmap products directly to a mapping GPS. You will soon be able to load HEMA maps onto the Magellan units. Confused - I think I am just writing this.

Anyway OziExplorer is a program that will allow you to interface your laptop to the GPS and gives you basically open slather on your choice of maps. You can even easily scan and georeference your paper maps for use in OziExplorer. All this is great however it only works when the laptop is running.

Have a look in On the Road - Navigation. We have a GPS tutorial and some features on products there. Also note that in a day or two we will have the full Magellan range available in the Adventure Shop right here on this site. We are working on the Member Money and shipping awards at the moment so there may even be incentive to get one using your membership benifits.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 16094

Follow Up By: rors101 - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 08:19

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 08:19
The 2 cd Natmap Raster 250k sofware wont run on my old windows 95 Pentium 1 60 laptop - However, they work fine if viewed with OziExporer (The 95 P1 is slow to load maps but works well and great for off road as it is now only worth $200 max)
FollowupID: 9880

Follow Up By: Scott - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 21:51

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 21:51
There is no geo referencing software on the OziExplorer website.
The maps on the Natmap 250k are already geo referenced.
You can get a serial full GPS from Johnny Appleseed for use with your laptop for $220. http://www.ja-gps.com.au/gps-haicom-203.html
I use OziExplorer in our bus with a Toshiba daylight screen laptop. Can switch it over to the overhead TV screens in the bus and the travellers love it.
FollowupID: 9934

Reply By: diamond - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 21:20

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 21:20
do a search above and type in magellan there was a fair bit the other day about bying there from usa about half the price of bying in australia
AnswerID: 16103

Sponsored Links