More power please from 4 Runner, 2.4 petrol please

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 09:51
ThreadID: 4064 Views:2801 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Toyota 4 Runner, 1993 Model, 22r Petrol Engine. I live on the Gold Coast and am planning a trip to the big red rock via Coober Pedy, Old Ghan Route and back along the Plenty H’way. If all goes well a trip to the Cape will be next. I have a 93 Toyota 4 Runner, 2.4 petrol and it seems a bit sluggish. ( no surprise’s there ) It gets 7 to 8 k’s a litre, marginally more power and economy after fitting extractors and a free flow exhaust. Next is a snorkel and foam filter but I’m not expecting any power/economy increase. Short of changing the car what can I do for better power/mileage and will the car make it to the rock and back, and then to the cape and back ?
I’d be interested to hear from others with the similar engine.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 10:04

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 10:04
There are no cheap ways to make more neddies... And usually more neddies means more fuel...

You could get the motor worked, head done, bigger valves, and rebuilt, but being 93 mod it *shouldnt* need it, depending on klms and its history.

Your options are Differnet motor (Lots and lots of $$), Turbo/Intercooler Both are about $5-8k depending on what you want), or superchargers ($5-6k) really..

Colin has a Supercharger on his GQ and really says good things about it. I only thought of them on street machines, but they do have their place here.

Turbos are COMMON, as are intercoolers for their ease of application and fitting. We did on on a mates car in 1/2 a day and that included replacing exhaust studs..
AnswerID: 16136

Follow Up By: Dazza - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 12:47

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 12:47
Cheers mate. With all the planned mod's, at the end of the day it was still going to be a 2.4 petrol. I'm biting the bullet on the mods i've done already, selling the 4Runner and am on the hunt for a early 90's GQ 4.2 diesel. Yep thats right, i'm changing camps. The standard straight 6 engine in Patrol runs at 150 % my current fuel consumption and even runs under water.
FollowupID: 10235

Reply By: Member - Peter- Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 10:27

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 10:27
Hi I have a 4 Runner 1993 3lt v6 petrol I am getting 7.2 km to lt off road and around 8.1 km to the lt on the black top ,I may be wrong but for a smaller engine I asummed you would be getting better fuel consumption maybe something to look at .I have taken mine all over the place and if well maintaned nothing will stop a 4 Runner except maybe a semi.Watch you weight that you carry and keep tyre pressures correct it is supprising how much drag low pressures will efect your performance.Peter York 4x4 .(see add ons and photo soon my rig Western Australia )
AnswerID: 16143

Follow Up By: Dazza - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 12:53

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 12:53
Thanks for the reply. I knew the gas guzzling 4 pot was bad ( last tank 6.6k's/l on tar ). Refer the above follow up. Cheers.
FollowupID: 10236

Reply By: Kev. - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 18:44

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 18:44
To complement the extractors you can instal a Weber 3236 carbi.
I did this to my old 2.2L and made an improvement but wont help the fuel economy though.

Also if running big tyres you could change the diff ratios but this is not a cheap option.
AnswerID: 16187

Sponsored Links