Which GPS ?

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 10:50
ThreadID: 4065 Views:2475 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

I am in the market for a GPS unit for around $1000 what are people using? and how do you find the units was hoping to get one that can do street level mapping.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 11:13

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 11:13
LOL..

Magellan Merdian Platinum from USA for 1/2 the cost here($1000here)...

but anyway search the archives, theres been several threads in recent times on this!
AnswerID: 16149

Reply By: Member - Moggs - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 11:57

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 11:57
Hi Simon, have a look at the Emap packages available from Johnny Appleseed in Brisbane. I spent $1,099 on the Ozi-Tourer Package and got an Emap, 32mb data card (enough to cover half of Australia), 12 volt cable, PC cable, Swivel/tilt vehicle Mount and Metroguide Australia CD. I reckon it was good value and am extremely pleased with it - Metroguide gives you street level mapping. If you get this setup there is nothing else you need, unless of course you get the bug and buy Oziexplorer, Rastor CD's etc etc etc ....
AnswerID: 16161

Reply By: Member - Des - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 14:29

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 14:29
See this post, and also the previous posts I referred to there.

For a grand, you could get a Magellan Meridian Gold (including data/power cable) from the USA, including postage and GST and customs duty, if applied + mounting bracket + 128Mb SD card + MapSend CDs for several States + Hema Desert Maps, and maybe still have some change.

You get much more for your money importing a Magellan than buying a corresponding Garmin in Australia. The Garmin eMap with 64mb memory, mounting bracket, data/power cable and Garmin's Metroguide Australia CD costs $1210 at Johnny Appleseed, and that is about as good a price as you would get in Australia.

Importing an eMap from the US is not really an option, because only Garmin can change the basemaps and they charge heaps to do so.

For comparisons between mapping GPS units:
- see Mehaffey and Yeazel's GPS information site
- search the archives in this forum
- search the archives at the Overlander forum
- sign up to relevant Yahoo groups and search their archives. In particular, see the FAQs in the Files section of the Magellan Meridian group; it has lots of useful info, including all about changing basemaps on a Meridian Gold/Platinum/Marine (the same applies to SporTrak Pro).
AnswerID: 16175

Follow Up By: Member - Des - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 14:36

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 14:36
We are still having problems with hyperlinks in this forum. Here are the urls of sites I mentioned:
Previous post: http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/View.asp?ForumQID=3794
Johnny Appleseed:http://www.ja-gps.com.au/catalog.html#anchor1847198
Mehaffey & Yeazel:http://gpsinformation.net
Overlander forum:http://forums.overlander.com.au
Magellan Meridian Yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Magellan_Meridian

FollowupID: 9904

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 15:16

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 15:16
There are no problems it you do not put the quotes around the href.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
FollowupID: 9905

Follow Up By: Member - Des - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 15:34

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 15:34
How is this link to earlier post on GPS (without quotes around href target)?

Hey, it works! Many thanks David.

(My HTML editor automatically generates quotes around the HRef target, and I thought it was mandatory. I have now learned something new about HTML.)
FollowupID: 9907

Follow Up By: Member - Des - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 15:41

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 15:41
By the way, David, did you ever get a reply from Magellan about the issues raised in that post?

FollowupID: 9908

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 15:50

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 15:50
Des,

The HTML standard does want the quotes around the href tags however in order to allow quotes in the data such as "This one" I have to convert them to something other than quotes or else the database updates are not happy. I am still working on a formal link posting method however at present we are working on some business challenges that have come up based on the usage of the site. We are 10 times the data throughput than 12 months ago and the costs are starting to have a very serious impact on our future plans for this great resource (Pity). We actually expected much better support from the industry at this stage however it appears that not even having 120000 sessions per month is enough to have them even bother to list for free little own $160 to advertise with logo on trek notes etc etc.

Magellan - sent me the policy document which I posted and I have not seem anything else yet. Did you see the policy document and the thread that this started.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
FollowupID: 9909

Follow Up By: Member - Des - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 16:13

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 16:13
David,
I guess you mean this thread? No, I had missed it. There is a lot I could say about Magellan's response, but I think I have hijacked Simon's thread enough!
Some link posting facility would be nice, but I understand that there are other priorities. 4WD industry doesn't know what it is missing here if take-up of ads is low!
Cheers,
Des
FollowupID: 9910

Reply By: Benna - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 21:40

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 21:40
Hi
This is what ive found from about two months investigation on the net.\

magellan platium, with all the extras from the U.S.(latest and greatest GPS)
Than go to the forum/ user group in yahoo, called magellan, they tell you how to easily change the U.S base map to an Aussie base map. They even give you the ozzie base map, Actually they give and tell you everything you need to know. There are also a lot of Aussies on the site, so they can help you out if you are fubar.

Ben
AnswerID: 16196

Sponsored Links