Mazda B2500 Turbo Air filter

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 10:55
ThreadID: 4066 Views:2157 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everybody !!
I have a 2000 model Mazda b2500 diesel turbo intercooled and I keep finding dust on the *CLEAN AIR* side of the air filter.
Anybody know of a fix ?
I heard in country areas of replacing the air box ?
tnx in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: crfan - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 11:20

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 11:20
Try putting grease on the sealing parts of the air filter.
If it is going through the filter try a Finer filter.
AnswerID: 16150

Reply By: crfan - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 11:24

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 11:24
Try putting grease around the sealing areas...
Works on motor bikes.Or buy a finner filter .
AnswerID: 16152

Reply By: mr fixit - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 13:51

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 13:51
The first thing I tried was the grease on the sealing rubbers.
The dust passes through the element.
Anybody know about the replacement air box from Mazda ?
AnswerID: 16172

Reply By: colin - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 17:25

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 17:25
go the finer filter helps with power and fuel economy as well and is reusable for the life of the vehicle. Col
AnswerID: 16180

Follow Up By: Scott - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 22:13

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 22:13
Finer filters are the ultimate crap, messy, sticky. If you are using a genuine air filter element or a Ryco element there is no reason why you should see dust on the other side of the air filter element. I would suggest there may be a design flaw in the air filter element housing as that is one of the few things they have changed in the later model.
FollowupID: 9939

Follow Up By: colin - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 11:17

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 11:17
Scott they may be messy and sticky but thats why and how they work and are more effective and cost efficient than a paper filter this is a proven fact. As a paper filter picks up the dust it becomes a barrier for the engine to breathe afiner filter stays efficient untill all the oil in the filter is used up, once cleaned the filter can be used many times over, also its easier to carry a spare outer band for the finer than carry a paper filter without it getting damaged for a long desert trip. Motor cycle dirt racing have been using oil foam filters for many years as they have proven to be the best form of filter. Col
FollowupID: 9956

Reply By: mr fixit - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 09:38

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 09:38
COLIN SAID. . . Finer filters are the ultimate crap, messy, sticky. If you are using a genuine air filter element or a Ryco element there is no reason why you should see dust on the other side of the air filter element. I would suggest there may be a design flaw in the air filter element housing as that is one of the few things they have changed in the later model.
.................................................................................................

Spot on colin !! They have a problem with a badly designed air box that is to small. Some dealers in country areas are replacing the box under warranty ...about $800 parts. I am interested to see if anybody has had the thing changed under warranty
If a paper element wont stop dust. . . .wait for it. . .. there is no way a bit of pourous oiley sponge will do the same job.
Finer filters are for saving money . . . but when you spend $40k $50k on a vehicle the cost of a $25 filer should not come into the isue.
Now haveing said that, I dont want to spend $800 on parts to replace parts that were badly designed.

Wow this should get the aftermarket buyers going.
Looking forward to repys
AnswerID: 16309

Follow Up By: colin - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 11:36

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 11:36
Hi mr fixit you have me confused with scott i am all for finer filters as they have proven their worth to me many times over. I think most people are miss quided about foam filters. A oil filter will still breath efficently when fully clogged a paper filter will block the flow of air to the point of loss of power and higher fuel usage. I have two foam filters on my patrol and have never had to clean or replace the main filter as the pre filter is so effective which i couldnt say about the two genuine paper filters i used to use. They may be messy but i will swear by them . Col
FollowupID: 10031

Sponsored Links