GU petrol gas or 4.2l TD

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 13:28
ThreadID: 4070 Views:1677 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I am in the market for a second hand GU and i am trying to decide between a petrol gas or turbo diesel 4.2L.
The diesel are hard to find and big $$ could somebody please enlighten me if the petrol gas would have around the same running costs fuel wise as the diesel.
For around 30k i can pick up a good petrol but a diesel would be a least 8k more is it really worth the extra 8k i intend to keep the vechile for some time 7yrs or so.
I test drove a 100 ser RV model with a non turbo 1hz motor it went like a slug on a salt bed and handled like a whale is this the norm or did i just test drive a lemon?

Thanks

Simon

Thanks

Simon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Will - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 13:42

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 13:42
Simon,
I drive a GU 4.2TD Since new, it is excellent and has not had any trouble in 135000kms.
I also drove the 4.5 100 series and I also think I would not own one.
I also drove the 4.5 Petrol patrol and I would not swap it for mine.
If you do bush driving (ie long trips into the bush) you can't beat the diesels.
Also if you are planning to keep it for a long time, they reckon the 4.2L diesel goes to 600000kms and more, you will hardly get that out of the petrol model, but the petrol could be cheaper to service...
Good luck, I hope it helps...
Will
AnswerID: 16170

Reply By: Phil P - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 15:20

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 15:20
After owning 2 vehicles in the past that were fitted with LPG, I would never have an LPG vehicle again. No major problems just small tunning issues that drove me crazy. Sometimes the car would run perfect on Gas but then not properly on Petrol or vice versa. The litres of gas used for the klm's you get is less than with petrol (not as fuel efficient). Go with the Turbo Diesel even though you will pay more for it now, you will get more for it when you eventually sell the car anyway.

AnswerID: 16178

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 17:45

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 17:45
There is a reason Diesels are more expensive.. they ARE that much better...

Running costs, depends who you talk to, if its fullmoon, high tide etc, some say Diesels are cheaper, others like their LPG, which you have to remember isnt available everywhere.. and is a pain in the arse if you run out and dont have petrol backup... :(

Always test drive more than 1 of each model from different places, then you can make up your own mind.

YMMV..
AnswerID: 16182

Reply By: bozo - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 17:48

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 17:48
I agree with Phil about the tuning issues, however I think that late model fuel injected engines with modern ignition systems would probably be better than my carby GQ at handling an lpg conversion and I would probably have another one. One big issue with gas powered cars is range and availability away from the main highway so if you are planning any remote area trips the diesel might be worth the extra money
AnswerID: 16184

Follow Up By: New Jack - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 21:35

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 21:35
Hi Simon.
I've never owned a diesel unit but have travelled up through NT on fishing trip 10000 kms in one (fantasic place, with fantastic people) diesel was available anywere you went, Aboriginal settlements, missions etc. Last Lpg I remember was in Kathrine (I may be wrong) 3 years ago.
On the other hand I have had LPG vehicles for 8 years the benifits around the black top can not discarded. Oil that looks like new at 10000kms (still change it ) plugs last forever, engine life extended.resale value

Efficiency is better than petrol for given energy component of lpg,(energy available , diesel is higher still) sure your burn a little more, but it burns so much cleaner (less deposits etc) LPG will run higher compression (good if engine has head shaved or block decked, rebuild)
Never had anyone say they got a bad batch of LPG!!

How much outback driving will you do? A petrol subtank or original tank is still a must. Horses for courses!! Getting a full tank for $40- $45 is a little easier to part with.
LPG is good thing (my view)

Cheers

New Jack

New Jack
FollowupID: 9931

Follow Up By: Truckster - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 00:27

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 00:27
New Jack, theres a reason for Diesel being avail everywhere.. It doesnt put off fumes to smell....
FollowupID: 10014

Reply By: Stevo - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 09:37

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 09:37
Simon, had both gassed and diesel 4x4's along with many friends. The unanamous decision .......... you can stick gassed vehicles where the sun doesn't shine !! Providing you purchase a turbo charged diesel you will not regret it.
AnswerID: 16224

Sponsored Links