Electric Trailer Brakes

Submitted: Friday, Jan 05, 2007 at 21:20
ThreadID: 40911 Views:2110 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have 10" electric drum brakes on the camper trailer, problem is, the rh drum brakes more than the left. I have adjusted the brakes by a method that was on the camper trailer site. ( adjust until wheel locks and back off 8 clicks) Any tips would be great.

Cheers Andrew

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Charlie M (SA) - Friday, Jan 05, 2007 at 21:56

Friday, Jan 05, 2007 at 21:56
Hi
drewab
Is the power wire equal lenght to each drum from main feed line. Have you checked voltage output at each drum. Other possability is grease or oil on hub face.
Are they new or secondhand for you, may have worn shoe on one side
Cheers
Charlie
AnswerID: 213531

Follow Up By: drewab - Saturday, Jan 06, 2007 at 10:02

Saturday, Jan 06, 2007 at 10:02
Charlie,
The trailer is only 12 months old ( I bought it new) It has the controller on the draw bar rather than in the car, might have to change this. Drums and shoes are clean and in good nic. Will check power wire length and voltage output today.

Cheers Andrew
FollowupID: 473921

Reply By: Gerhardp1 - Friday, Jan 05, 2007 at 22:28

Friday, Jan 05, 2007 at 22:28
as above, plus
are the magnets the same
are the magnet faces on the drums or the magnets worn unevenly
is there grease on the drum or magnet face
is one drum worn down to the studs and the other not quite
are the wheel bearings the same "tightness" on both sides
are the lining materials the same both sides
is there any rust inside causing the linkages to seize
a rusty bearing one side

AnswerID: 213541

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Friday, Jan 05, 2007 at 22:55

Friday, Jan 05, 2007 at 22:55
Hi Drew

How do you know it is breaking more on one side ?

I'm wondering if your trailer is balanced and tread is equal and the same type on both wheels.

I have seen that many trailer builders use second hand just legal tyres on there 'new' trailers and if yours is loaded more on one side or the tread is not the same it could skid.

The above is something to look at if all wiring, magnets, shoes and drums are in a serviceable condition.

Does one drum get hotter than the other ? Feel the rim after a 10 min test drive, this will tell you if it is a brake / electric fault or a load / tyre fault.

Regards

Derek.

AnswerID: 213546

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 06, 2007 at 06:13

Saturday, Jan 06, 2007 at 06:13
Drewab
Not had that problem,,

But I was told, that with electric breaks,,the shoes should be adjusted right up, almost to the piont of being on, and use the controller to back things off...
Apparently that way, any chance of mechanical mis-match ( inballance ) will be offset ...
I put a post on this forum, not so long ago,, No 40396,, and had a heap of help

Hope that makes sence,, I'm just up

Cheers Bucky
AnswerID: 213567

Reply By: Bilbo - Saturday, Jan 06, 2007 at 13:44

Saturday, Jan 06, 2007 at 13:44
,,,,,,,,,,,all of the above - plus, Check the Tyre Pressures.

Simple stuff first,,,,,,,,

Bilbo
AnswerID: 213636

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Saturday, Jan 06, 2007 at 18:18

Saturday, Jan 06, 2007 at 18:18
Electric supply and clearance adjustment being equal, you probably have an uneven wear pattern from one side to 'tuther - they can get 'grabby', depending on how they wear - off with the hubs and have a look at the magnets, shoes an drums - one side may have rougher contact surfaces than the other side.
AnswerID: 213679

Reply By: drewab - Saturday, Jan 06, 2007 at 21:50

Saturday, Jan 06, 2007 at 21:50
Gents,
Thanks for the replies, I have just replaced the bearings.The shoes are a little worn, magnets look good as well. The trailer is only 12 months old. I put the multi on the wires behind the backing plate today got .61v on the left and .58v on the right ( rh is the side getting warm ) when the brake pedal is applied. I have no idea what is supposed to be there. I have the controller on the draw bar not in the car, may have to change this. All help is appreciated.

Drew
AnswerID: 213721

Reply By: kiwicol - Monday, Jan 08, 2007 at 20:23

Monday, Jan 08, 2007 at 20:23
some of the probs with electric brakes are with the cross in the magnets this gets flogged out to different tolerences on either side and is not able to be adjusted out. i have since got rid of this system and now use the mechanical over ride system which was also installed from new and now do not have any probs this is on the track shack campers. Col
AnswerID: 214099

Sponsored Links