Submitted: Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 10:02
ThreadID: 4103 Views:3452 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

Planning a Easter trip to Robe and are intending to do the beach run from
Robe to Beachport.

I have brought a map of the area and it seems in some places along the beach
the scrub comes right down to the water. Is it possible to get right a long
the beach from Robe to Beachport or do you have to go inland at some places?

Also we will be taking 2 -3 fourby's but we won't have a winch. Is this
likely to be a major problem? The plan was to use the 'left-over' vehicles
for recoveries.

As we are planning to spend a few days playing in this area (fishing :) are
there other good 4WD treks nearby to explore - we will be having about 10
days in the area.

Finally any other advice or personal experience greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advanced,
Shaun
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stevo - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 11:18

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 11:18
Rhubarb
the trip can be done in its entirety without driving on the beach ie. via the many tracks behind the frontal dunes. It is not possible to drive the entire trip on the beach due to several rocky headlands However a combination of beach driving and the above makes it more challenging. Be wary of the short beaches that slope steeply to the water. This is generally an indication of deep sand. Should not need a winch but snatch straps an absolute necessity & air jack could be useful. Depending on the condition of the sand ie cold & moist or hot & dry we run tyre pressures between 12 & 15 psi.
Given 10 days I strongly recommend the run from Carpenters Rocks through Canundra National Park, Oil rig Square, Millicent Buggy Club area, Southend, Rivoli Bay Beach, Beachport, Robe, Long Beach to Cape Jaffa (depending on how much seaweed on the beach at the moment), back on the blacktop to The Granites via Kingston, on to the beach at the Granites and along to Tea Tree Crossing on the Coorong. Great Salmon fishing along this beach. Depeding on the conditions this section can get difficult the further north you go however you have the option of pulling out at wreck crossing or 28 mile crossing. Dune flags are an absolute neccesity as every man and his dog will be on the beach at Easter !!
Enjoy !!
AnswerID: 16321

Follow Up By: Rhubarb - Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 10:53

Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 10:53
Stevo Thanks very much for the reply! Most informative. The extra travel info is much appreciated!
FollowupID: 10109

Reply By: Rick - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 19:12

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 19:12
Shaun

The initial reply you got was accurate. Why not do a search...there have been heaps of replies to this question.

Visist 4wd _out_of_adelaide..its a yahoo group with varios notes on trips...i filed one on there A while back.
What vehicles will you be in? I will be cruisin' Robe area myself at Easter

Im' in a pewter GU patrol with black roof rack & ARB roo bar & the essential EXPLOROZ sticker.

Enjoy

Rick
AnswerID: 16347

Sponsored Links