'Rambo' butane stoves

Submitted: Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 11:31
ThreadID: 4105 Views:4486 Replies:9 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone use these stoves. They come in a carry case and use the butane cartridges. I currently use 2 x cast iron rings which are quite bulky. Is the flame on the stove hot enough for a wok?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: paul - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 11:52

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 11:52
I did a long post on these things a few weeks ago - i do a lot of wok cooking at home, real wok cooking - don't use the oil till point of burning, small amounts of food to ensure the wok sides singe the food on the upswing etc etc etc, my wok cooker puts out 18megajoules - i wish it was 25.

The butane stoves would be okay for small amount of food in a small wok, i forget the rating but would guess on full it would be about 10 - 11 Megajoules. Best thing is to go in and test it. I was in a BBQ's Galore last saturday and they had one set up - i turned it on and sure enough it was connected. If it is not connected then when they are not looking whack in a butane bottle - there is an opening in the rim of the butane bottle that slots under the extension above the where the butane lip goes into the stove connection that is really obvious. Close it and turn it on (mine is two steps i believe the Rambo is one step). If they aren't looking it should take you about 10 seconds to get flame.

They are incredibly light and portable and I get the butane containers at 4 x $7.50 down the road. The three ringed flat burner you have would give out more heat but i guess they are just obviously bigger. The butane stove by the way does have the inner and outer ring flames desirable for wok cooking so with a small wok on the butane knob both the bottom and the sides should receive heat. At medium setting they go for a few hours.

But really, take you wok in and put it on top and see how it goes.

For reference i got my two units for $23 each. Same output as the Rambo and also gass association approved.
AnswerID: 16325

Reply By: Member - David now Outnabout - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 12:29

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 12:29
Hi rodeoowner,
Have a look in the archives post 3401 16 feb for some info.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 16330

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 12:56

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 12:56
Rodeoowner,

I use a large circular cast iron cooking plate on mine and it works beautifully, can get too hot if not monitored. A small wok would certainly work. Each can lasts approx 90 minutes. More compact, lighter and easier to transport than gas stoves. Also means no LPG carried in vehicle on trips. You can also buy dual burners, but I haven't tried them. Easier to carry two butane stoves possibly.Just Do It!
AnswerID: 16332

Reply By: Member - Peter- Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 13:45

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 13:45
I have one and I find it great bottle lasts about 2 hours , you can get two accesory plates for them the one that is SUPPOST to be smoke free (you add water in the bottom ) was no good it smoked and things kept rolling of due to shape of plate . The second BBQ plate you can get is great it has slots in the base that fit on the ring and is quite stable , it also has a screw plug in the centre that you can close for boiling and open for frying it has a fat run off port underneath I think I paid around $50 for the plate it is also non stick so we have done away with a fry pan , Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 16336

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 15:45

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 15:45
I have two of these stoves, one a Travel Master the other a Golden Bell you pay anything from $30 to$50 and the butane cyclinders from $2 to $3. Dont take the two burner stove and large cyclinder away anymore. You'll find them at Crazy Clarks places will that and most camp shops. Bunnings hardware in Qld sell the cyclinders also. Gooe luck Bruce.
AnswerID: 16342

Reply By: Mark from Getaway Portable Refrigerator Hire - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 17:47

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 17:47
These things must be good as I believe that there has not been one bad word about them on this or previous threads. It off to Crazy Clarks.
AnswerID: 16346

Reply By: rodeoowner - Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 18:48

Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 18:48
Thanks for all of the replies. Can anyone tell me the MJ rating of the burner??
AnswerID: 16454

Reply By: Mark from Getaway Portable Refrigerator Hire - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 10:22

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 10:22
rodeoowner, I purchased one of these stoves on Saturday from K Mart (Gasmaster or something like that) and it stated that the output was 7,500. which I believe is not a great deal but it is only a small unit and extremely handy. Regards
AnswerID: 16481

Reply By: Member - Peter (WA) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 12:04

Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 12:04
I have just finishedmounting my burner using a camera tripod it works great easy to assemble will now stand on any ground at any heightBorn to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard

Peter York 4x4

AnswerID: 16921

Sponsored Links