Barmah state park or forrest

Hi guys looking for a nice seclued spot to camp over easter along the murray river nothing flash just bush camping away from the crowds does anyone have any secret spots hidden away around the barmah area? thanks
Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 14:51

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 14:51
Hi Ian , If you find a "nice secluded spot" at easter dont tell anyone, i can never find one!!!!!! Michael
AnswerID: 16340

Reply By: Ray M (Vic) - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 22:01

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 22:01
Ian, lots of info here.

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm?park=43

AnswerID: 16354

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 23:52

Friday, Mar 28, 2003 at 23:52
sorry to tell you but many people have the same idea (me included ) my old mand lives up there and it is chocka nearly every where u look maybe gunbower island if you are early or between murrabit and Barmah but i suugest getting there thursday lunch time or have someone set up a tent site for you till you get there .
hope you have some luck the cod are biting along with yellas on grubs and yabbies
cheers1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
AnswerID: 16367

Reply By: Member - John- Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 01:16

Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 01:16
Dream on Ian !!

Try arriving 2 days before Easter and you may have some chance, but try to find a spot the that leaves little room for a bunch of hoons to come in later and camp along side you.

We camped last Easter about 6km east of Echuca at a nice spot a few hundred meters west of where the Goulburn River enters. the advnace party (me) got set up before Thurs lunchtime and our friends dribbled in through the late evening. We did OK and had no problems.

Great camping along the Murray and one of the best long weegend getaways.

JohnS
AnswerID: 16371

Follow Up By: bruce - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 14:22

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 14:22
John..can you tell me how to get to the spot 6kms east of Echuca..we are heading up there mid May and intend going to the Barmah forest but we are prepared to try anywhere that sounds good and we can get in with the Falcon and 17ft poptop...bruce350@dodo.com.au...cheers
FollowupID: 10158

Follow Up By: Member - John- Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 16:19

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 16:19
Bruce,

I haven't got a map with me (my Vic maps are in a box somewhere), but if you gaze upon a map of the area you will see a long north -south road crossing the Echuca to all points east main road about 6km east of Echuca. If you follow the north south road to where it intersects the river that is the area you are looking for. Its a few hundred metres west of the Goulburn River junction.
You can't get your boat in there or launch it. Put your boat in at the main boat ramp just east of Echuca and engage propellor and head upstream to the camp spot.

You could then get in with the Falcon to the camping area if conditions are dry and then not to all spots due to holes and ditches to cross. You will find about 3 dry toilets in the area ... then you know you are in the right place.

Sorry, but I have completely forgotten the name of the place. Have a gaze upon the map and I think you will work it out.

FollowupID: 10162

Reply By: Ian - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 07:15

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 07:15
thanks everyone,,will be leaving a few days early so hopefully we will find that spot !!!
Ian
AnswerID: 16465

Follow Up By: desert - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 12:15

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 12:15
Ian, head out to Echuca East and get on to the Stewarts Bridge road, it's well sign posted or ask a local. Cross over the bridge. Head in along this road and you will start to see signs/markers like "CFA 12kms", these are reference points of the distance from the bridge. After about 10 to 12 kms you would have reached the river and from here you can start looking for a nice spot. Near the old charcoal burners is a good spot for the boat, no snags and easy access to the water. If you do not have any luck here, then you are only about 20mins from Barmah and you can then head up along the Sandridge track into the Barmah forest. The sandridge will take you north to the river and anywhere from "Big Woodcutter" to Sapling Landing are great but popular spots. At the moment, most of the inland tracks in the forest are flooded and it's impossible to get anywhere, so stick to the river-side track and get in early. Unfortunatly, it's a popular area for hoons, especially a long weekend.
FollowupID: 10227

Follow Up By: Ian - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 19:55

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 19:55
thanks desert
we arent taking a boat so hopefully we can find somewhere we still have good access to the river but not so good for boats .
your directions sound like a good starting spot
thanks ian
FollowupID: 10263

Follow Up By: bruce - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 11:10

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 11:10
Thank you Desert for posting that info..we do travel with a boat on top of the Falcon and easy access to the river is one of our priorities...hopefully by mid May the tracks will be accessable and the hoons gone....cheers
FollowupID: 10311

Sponsored Links