Toyota 2H motor Vaccum pump???

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 17:00
ThreadID: 4122 Views:1617 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Does anybody have a Auto with a 2H motor preferably '86 and after?
Id like to know length of vanes in vaccum pump as i seem to run out of vaccum when braking around town. Does anybody else have this problem?
Mine are 23mm long but some models have 40mm vanes.
The 40mm vanes should give more vaccum overall than the 23mm ones??
Everything has been checked now and only thing i can think of is a bigger pump.
Any opinions?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric - Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 23:03

Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 23:03
Surfer.
The safety margin on the vaccum pump capacity is 10/1, you must have a major air leak or excesive pedal travel to be having this problem,if the system is not leaking you will get at least 2 brake aplications after the vehicle has been standing over night. can you borrow a vaccum gauge and measure the system pressure? my check list would be, delaminating hoses, check valve leaking or in the wrong way, lubrication hose leaking, brake adjustment, air cleaner on booster blocked. Eric.
AnswerID: 16415

Follow Up By: surfer - Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 01:08

Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 01:08
Gday Eric

I havent had a gauge to check with but ill try and get one to check with soon.
However ive checked all the hoses and the brakes are not in need of adjustment, pump is in good condition, check valve is fine and cant be put in backwards as far a s i can tell, lubrication is ok and not leaking , and all the checks for booster are ok.
Also previous owner had all the brake system overhauled except the pump and the booster was second hand and tested to be good.
So basically im bleepin confused.
The ones with the 40mm vanes should give me a lot more vaccum for backup ?? is this correct?
FollowupID: 10099

Reply By: Member - David- Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 14:58

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 14:58
Check the vacuum tank underneath the car - its under the driver on an HJ47 - there may be a little rust pinhole in it. If so, you can buy another tank for upwards of $100, or do what we did and make a patch with a bit of galvanised iron sheet glued on with silicone sealant. It's lasted without problems for 4 years so far.
AnswerID: 16502

Follow Up By: surfer - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 22:15

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 22:15
My vaccum tank is on the firewall.
Are there any good sugestions on how to find the leak?
If thre is one then more than likely is the tank i guess.
Ill take it off tom and check it out.
FollowupID: 10195

Follow Up By: Member - David- Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 10:46

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 10:46
It may be as easy as spotting a rust blister on the tank, or you could try pressurising it and dunking it in a bucket of water - same as looking for a leak in a tyre. Good luck, I hope it solves the problem for you.
FollowupID: 10214

Sponsored Links