Bush/ Grandma Remedies

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 08:11
ThreadID: 41251 Views:3972 Replies:9 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Morning Folks,

Just reading the Snake thread below, and I thought I would ask the question:

Are any of you willing to share any of your remedies for ailments that have been passed down, or just learnt through the years? I don't mean for serious injuries like snake bites or broken limbs, just non-serious things.

I am thinking along the lines of cutting an onion, and placing it on a bee sting as mentioned below.

My all time favourite is glycerine - a little bit rubbed on a bump seems to not only take the swelling down, but also stop a bruise forming. My grandma has always sworn by it.

Anyone have any others?

Cheers,

Chump
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Barry M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 08:35

Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 08:35
Hi Chump, our long used remedy for minor wounds, scratches & misdemeanors
is good old metho. Sure it stings a bit, but stops infection,promotes fast healing
etc. Cheapest & best tinea cure I know of too. A must in our first aid kit when
touring in the 4by. The best window cleaner as well, a bit on a damp cloth then
follow up with newspaper. That was to allay the offtopic police. Our kids got so used to it that the cry of 'Metho Mum" was usually the first indication of another
skin loss. Has been used internally I believe but Bundy tastes heaps better.
....oldbaz.

AnswerID: 215586

Reply By: Carl & Kaz - Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 08:59

Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 08:59
Windex will fix everything!!!
AnswerID: 215590

Follow Up By: chumpion - Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 09:02

Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 09:02
everything?
FollowupID: 475887

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 10:07

Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 10:07
Leg Cramps...... Place 6 red wine corks in calico bag and place next to leg. Cramps cease within 30 seconds.

Sore throat....Gargle mixture of cold tea and vinegar...then eat dollop of honey

Use clove to numb pain for toothache

Use toothpaste to clean scratches on windscreen

Eucaplytus oil is good for multitude of things i.e. Antiseptic on wound or scratch remover on car duco.

Got more stored in the brain somewhere...lol

Cheers
AnswerID: 215603

Follow Up By: Member - Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 10:48

Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 10:48
Willem,

I agree with your 'old grannies' cure-alls - but can you shed some light on the cramps and 6 corks???

I tried it but after drinking six bottles of red I couldn't remeber what the corks were for.....
FollowupID: 475901

Follow Up By: chumpion - Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 11:27

Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 11:27
That cork remedy probably has more to do with actually walking round, finding 6 corks, putting them in a bag (and subsequently loosening the cramp) , than actually waiting for it to do something.

Although, don't some people call a cramp a "cork in the leg"?

Mabey it really does work...

Cheers,

Chris
FollowupID: 475911

Follow Up By: NUTS! - Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 12:11

Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 12:11
I think the theory behind this one is misdirection....cramps usually end within 30-60 seconds anyway.....but this gives you something else to think about while this time passes.....LOL

Cheers
NUTS!
FollowupID: 475914

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 21:22

Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 21:22
Being an asthmatic I take Ventolin at regular intervals and I have found that if in a day I do 'overdose' on it I could experience horrific and extremely painful leg cramps at night. I was talking to an octogenarian one day and this lady suggested the CORK remedy. So I tried it out and it works for me, inasmuch as the start of a cramp immediately goes away without me ending up on the floor screaming my head off and waiting for it to pass. ....and it does not always pass immediately without the cork remedy. It could be psycoschematic though...who knows?

We all have different physiological make-up and it is easy to dismiss it by saying that the cramp usually goes away after 60 seconds anyway. If you would like to offer a medical opinion on it we would all love to learn something new.

I Googled it and found many others stating the same fact.

If you drink the 6 bottles to gain the corks then you probably wont know if you have cramps or not......LOLOL

Cheers
FollowupID: 476036

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 21:55

Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 21:55
Willem, as a constant sufferer of leg cramps due to poor circulation, the 6 corks in a calico bag interests me. If you consume enough red wine it can improve blood circulation slightly I'm led to believe. So perhaps one has to consume the six bottles in order to use the corks ?
BTW normal ink a hol actually thins the blood vessels. That's why you get hang over headaches.
FollowupID: 476052

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 22:09

Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 22:09
Footy

Go to the rear of your local pub and rummage through the wheeliebins and you should find 6 corks without having to imbibe the contents of the bottles....lol

I seldom over indulge but if I do then I get up during the night and drink at least 2 litres of water and rehydrate my body as alcohol dehydrates the body by thinning the blood vessels. I NEVER get a hangover. Sometimes I forget my name tho.................lol
FollowupID: 476057

Reply By: Member - Toytruck (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 10:13

Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 10:13
crunching up some bracken fern and putting the juice on most stings, especially bee and wasp stings is a good one. Used it many time:-)

Toytruck
AnswerID: 215605

Reply By: handy - Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 10:57

Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 10:57
mix sugar and soap[ sunlight ] together, put on boil or splinter and cover with bandaid. makes a good drawing ointment.
AnswerID: 215612

Reply By: porl - Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 11:54

Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 11:54
Let your dog lick your open wound, their saliva contains a natural antiseptic. This is apparently why man's best friend actually tries to lick your wounds, not cause they like the taste of the blood, but they are trying to help you. Though perhaps not after they have been chomping though some other dog's no. 2.
AnswerID: 215624

Follow Up By: NUTS! - Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 12:13

Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 12:13
I heard something on Triple J (Dr Carl) about this....human saliva contains very little antiseptic, as apposed to dogs/cats, however they only work on themselves....ie dog cant lick cats (or humans) wounds.....
FollowupID: 475916

Reply By: NUTS! - Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 12:19

Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 12:19
What about TeaTree Oil for open cuts/grazes/wounds.....I thought everyone knew about this one!
Native remedy used by Aboriginals for who knows how long, also redily available in raw form in the Ozy bush. We use the oil at home for all cuts/grazes etc and always carry it with us!

Cheers
NUTS!
AnswerID: 215631

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 12:58

Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 12:58
We all know WD40 fixes everything, apparantly it is also used for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch. Great for those Brisbanites ;-)

Andrew
AnswerID: 215636

Reply By: GU - Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 15:04

Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 15:04
Terrific replies. We always carry a tin of Rawleigh's Antiseptic salve (yellow tin)
and Tea Tree oil (100% pure such as from Thursday Plantation, Ballina NSW).

The Rawleigh's we love especially after witnessing the unfortunate scalding of a baby many years ago (our son) when he grabbed a cup of tea from my wife's hand. It was way too hot to drink and he plashed his face with it. He of course started screaming in agony and his face immediately blistered. We smeared the Rawleigh's liberally on his face and the following occurred :

1. Within 60 seconds he ceased crying.
2. Within 2 to 3 minutes he seemed no longer concerned with the scalding and was
looking to continue playing.
3. Within 5 to 10 minutes there was no obvious blistering on his face nor was there any reddening of the skin at all. No scarring or marks of any kind.

We always knew it was good from our use of it in the past but even this surprised us. The baby, now 35 y.o. stills remembers the incident very clearly and he also
now keeps a tin handy.

Rawleigh's (no I don't sell it) will also destroy the worst case of tinea overnight. I know that from experience. Any scratches or cuts, just smear it on and the pain
should disappear.

Sore throats? Gargle a small amount of water (say 1/3rd cup) with a couple of drops of tea tree oil and the sore throat should not only disappear but will probably be a long time before you get another one (personal experience).

Lemon juice also as an antiseptic. I read in a magazine that Lemon juice will kill golden staph in Hospitals on contact.

Honey also for cuts and abrassions if you have run out of Rawleighs.

Cheers .......Wayne (GU)

AnswerID: 215664

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 18:23

Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 18:23
Hi GU, have never heard of Rawleigh's, sounds good, what is it? and where do you get it from?

For burns we use Thalgo Plasma gel, fantastic stuff, does the same for burns as you said the Rawleighs does but that is the only use I have found for it.

Cheers

D&B

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 475992

Follow Up By: GU - Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 20:34

Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 20:34
Hello Dunworkin.

Do a Google on Rawleigh's Antiseptic salve and you should find many sites that sell
the product. I know there is a WA distributor.

I have also seen it for sale on E-Bay. I can't ever remember seeing it for sale in a shop (Vic). A tin of Rawleighs will set you back around the $30 to $40 mark but will
last for years unless you haven't done workin (get it?).

Make sure you get the gold (yellow?) tin.

I would look it up for you but I don't know how to show the link on the forum.

If you have no luck put in a new thread and I will respond.

Cheers and good luck.. Wayne (GU)
FollowupID: 476018

Follow Up By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 21:06

Tuesday, Jan 16, 2007 at 21:06
ALCOHOL.... works every time - drink liberal amounts - kills pain for hours....

Grrr!!!
FollowupID: 476033

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 17, 2007 at 00:06

Wednesday, Jan 17, 2007 at 00:06
Thanks for that Wayne, I have got into the Aus website and have tried to send off for info but the emails keep coming back as 'Failure'. Will keep trying, if all else fails will call the phone number.
Cheers

D&B

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 476113

Follow Up By: GU - Wednesday, Jan 17, 2007 at 15:47

Wednesday, Jan 17, 2007 at 15:47
Dunworkin.
If you have no luck with the phone number don't hesitate to create a new thread
"4WD first aid kit supplies"? and I'll track down a can for you and send it over.

Cheers...Wayne GU
FollowupID: 476213

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 17, 2007 at 23:30

Wednesday, Jan 17, 2007 at 23:30
Thanks for that Wayne, if I have no joy with the phone will get back to you.

Cheers

D&B

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 476353

Sponsored Links