Meridian mount for dashboard

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 11:38
ThreadID: 4133 Views:1871 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Magellan Meridian and a swivel mount for the dashboard. I am not fussed on cutting or drilling the dashboard so am after advice on how to successfully mount it in my 100 series. I have used velcro for now but that will not stand up to corrugations for very long...any ideas?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 12:57

Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 12:57
I had the same problem with my 100 series and didnt want to drill holes. I took someones advice from this ng and purchased a dashboard mat (needed it anyway) and have put the velcro (just the hook side) under the unit and it naturally 'imbeds' itself into the dash mat. I am using the windscreen mount for the external areial and run the cable up under the dash mat. This does 2 things 1) hides the cable and 2) by altering the tension on the cable (I have a bit id sticky backed velcro wrapped around the end of the cable, which allows me to move the cable in or out) this allows the 'angle' of the screen to be changed. You will find at night with the light on you will get a reflection in the windscreen, especially if you mount the unit (as I have done) right at the apex of the dash in front of where the driver seat is. I am talking about a Garmin GPS V here. I have also mounted an e-map on the other side so my passenger (navigator) can check locales. If you think it will help I can e-mail you a couple of pics which shows what I have done.

I have done 2 'off roads' with some pretty bad corrugations and all has remanined in place.
AnswerID: 16442

Reply By: BajaTaco - Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 16:23

Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 16:23
Hi Drew

I also use the swivel mount with my Meridian, and it works really well. Unfortunately, it would not fit on my dashboard without the top interfering with the windscreen (too tall). I drive a Toyota Tacoma and the dash is somewhat shallow. So, I fashioned a sheet metal "shelf" that is fastened to the dash and accomodates the swivel mount and a clinometer (see the photo)... I used some tapping screws to fasten it. I still need to add a brace to the underside to eliminate vibrations for the corrugated roads, but it's much better than the suction-cup mounts. The swivel mount is great in the center of the dash, because the co-pilot can easily rotate the GPS for viewing or data entry.

http://www.bajataco.com/cockpit/dash-view01.jpg
AnswerID: 16452

Follow Up By: Drew - Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 16:37

Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 16:37
Thanks bajataco

I thought something like this might be an idea so will see where I might be able to fasten a plate in a similar way. The photo is very helpful.
FollowupID: 10124

Follow Up By: BajaTaco - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 02:04

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 02:04
Drew, if you need any further photos or info regarding the mount, you can email me through my website - www.bajataco.com - there is a link to my email at the bottom of the home page. Good luck
FollowupID: 10136

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 10:50

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 10:50
Drew, I glued the swivel base (of the 315) to the dash (of the LX470) with contact adhesive. It has been mechanically very stable, and when I recently pulled it off I can just see faintly where the glue was on the dash.
AnswerID: 16484

Reply By: Member - David now Outnabout - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 17:08

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 17:08
Drew,
Not sure if this is any help. I hade similar problems when trying to mount my Garmin Etrex Vista. Got a mount but didn't want to drill it on top of the dash. Didn't mind screwing into the console but the reception was not good plus it meant taking your eyes off the road to look down.

I then did the velcro bit to the dash mat. Was excellent until i left the blacktop and went where 4WD are meant to go. Anyone driving on corrogations will understand how violent the vibration is on the dashboard. It is a wonder anything in that area stays together. Then one day I thought while driving on corrogations I can still see reasonably well out the windscreen mounted rear vision mirror. I investigated a bit further and found a suction cup windscreen mount from Johnny Appleseed httpp:// www.ja-gps.com.au. Result ........unbelievable. I attach it when I go away and can take it all off easily and leave it at home when I don't need it. I can put right in front of my eyes or wherever I want it. Not sure if one is available for your unit but it definately is worth it.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 16509

Sponsored Links