Garmin 12, Natmap and Oziexplorer Software

Submitted: Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 15:48
ThreadID: 4143 Views:2737 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi to however is reading this,

I'm a first time user of the GPS 12,Natmap and Oziexplorer software and need a little bit of a hand. I'm about to go across the Simpson and thought I should download waypoints/trek details into my GPS. I just need a little bit of a hand in getting started.

My questions is (for anybody that has done this) is where do I start. Should I be downloading routes(how?)/waypoints(how?) or should I be connecting the laptop to the GPS for the trip (is this possible?).

For anybody that has had experience I would appreciate your feedback. Can you please aim your response at a computer literate, software illterate user.

Thanks in advance. Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter- Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 16:51

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 16:51
AndrewI dont know about the laptop side of things as this something in the future for me . When I am planning a trip using the Natmap raster 250k I take the bearings off the map .
1..once start location map is showing put the Blue cross over that point, on the left of the screen you can choose lat / long or grid ,I use Grid (UTM Grid referance ) as I find it easy and simlpe to put into my GPS.
2.. Drag the map across to you next referance point and record the readings again
3.. once you have a list of referances and put them into your GPS as way points you can set them up as a route .
4..the other alternative is to simply press GO TO on you GPS and let it take you from one point to the next. Hope this is clear I am sure others will have details on laptops for you .Born to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 16508

Follow Up By: Member - Peter- Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 16:57

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 16:57
Just a follow up to my reply if you keep the map enlarged using the mag glass once you put the cross over the road/town or whatever point you choose as away point it will be quite acurate .I have planed a few trips using this method and always got home again Born to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
FollowupID: 10166

Follow Up By: Member - Peter- Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 17:55

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 17:55
sorry about all hte follow ups my computer is playing silly buggers , I was going to add that I always carry a full set of paper maps and a good compass ,GPS are great but dont rely on them alone Born to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
FollowupID: 10170

Reply By: Member - Jim - Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 22:35

Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 22:35
Andrew,

Once you have the Natmap maps loaded and calibrated correctly in OziExplorer, here's a way of doing things:

1. Click on 4th icon from left in toolbar of Ozi ("Position and set waypoints on map"). Then with your mouse and the left button, click over the map on everything / anything you want to make a waypoint - this will initially just label all waypoints in numerical order (leave it that way for now). When you have finished,

2. Go to the menu across the top and click on view / lists / waypoint list. this opens up the list of all the waypoints you have just clicked on in step 1. You can now double-click each waypoint if you want to and change the name, symbol etc and add a description. When you have your finished list you can,

3. Within the waypoint list box, click on second from the right icon ('select all") follwed by the sixth from the right icon ("send selected waypoints to GPS") and, provided you have your GPS correctly connected to your computer, there you go.

All of the above can be done in other slightly different ways depending on whether you are a mouse or menu person, but it all achieves the same thing.

Go to menu, view / route editor to follow the same procedure to add your already saved waypoints into a route. Again, if you want you can send this route to your GPS also.

Lastly, two small bits of advice. Always save your work, ie waypoint lists and routes etc, in Ozi periodically in case you have a bad case of brain fade and press the wrong buttons after all your careful work; and connect up Ozi, the maps, and your GPS and PC and just play with all the menus and icons etc and see what they all do.

Hope some of this helps,

Jim
AnswerID: 16541

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 02:26

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 02:26
Andrew, yes the GPS plugs into the laptop. The Oziexplorer software enables the laptop to communicate with the GPS, and displays position, routes, waypoints etc on your Natmap maps as you drive along. It's brilliant. For support go to www.oziexplorer.com There is a Yahoo group that also provides helpful support. You will need to buy a Garmin cable to plug the GPS into your serial port (plus a USB to serial adaptor if you don't have a serial port).
AnswerID: 16553

Reply By: Member - Andrew - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 08:01

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 08:01
Thanks to al of you all good advice indeed.

I have had a bit of a play and got some waypoints in the GPS(wow!!). There is a feature that makes a track when I download this to the GPS 12 it is not easily traceable. I suppose that the route system is better to use than then track system, would this be true to say ?

Thanks also for the advice on the support group

Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 16559

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 09:25

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 09:25
Andrew, the "route" and "track" functions are very different. The route functions allows you to combine/link a number of known (created or already saved) into a route which you can then follow using the various GPS navigation functions.

The "track" function records a path you are travelling (leaving a "bread crumb" trail) so you can find your way back to any point on that path (especially back to base/start). Once you have travelled the track, you can save it in the GPS (and download it to the PC via OziExplorer) and then use the navigate functions to "track-back", or use it later as a "route" to travel the same path another time, or using OziExplorer, just have fun checking out where actually went, on a map..
FollowupID: 11013

Reply By: Member - Peter (WA) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 09:30

Saturday, Apr 05, 2003 at 09:30
Andrew I have a Garmin GPS 12 (not the XL) and will soon be adding it to a lop top as you have done can you please tell me the model etc of the data cable you use .Also at Oziexplorer what area did you go into to do the down load? thanks for any info Im new at this laptop stuffBorn to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard

Peter York 4x4

AnswerID: 16916

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 09:27

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 09:27
Peter, are you wanting to download OziExplorer itself, or the .map files to use with a particular series of digital maps. Also, for the cable, check out www.gpsoz.com.auBe good, or be quick.
Rohan
FollowupID: 11014

Sponsored Links