Off Road Trailer on Gibb River Road

Submitted: Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 22:20
ThreadID: 4155 Views:2813 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Early June I intend to travel the Gibb River Road (1st time) with fully loaded Jackaroo and off-road trailer. Part of a 3 month trip we are travelling fairly heavily. My question is, Is there any roads in the Kimberly we should avoid? Later we hope to go to the Bungle Bungles. Same question?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 02:00

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 02:00
Doug, there are some rough bits up on the Mitchell Plateau (esp the road into the Mitchell Falls) and the road into Purnululu Nat Park but nothing that will stop a Jackaroo with OR trailer. Just take it slowly.
AnswerID: 16549

Reply By: Drew - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 08:12

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 08:12
Hi Doug

I am doing the same trip at the same time in a similar setup (Landcruiser 100 and Trak Shak). If you get stuck I might be there to pull you out anyway and I am sure the same applies....See you on the road - (FLY80X)
AnswerID: 16560

Reply By: Chip (Allyn) - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 09:26

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 09:26
Did the same last year and can only concur with comments about Mitchell Plateau & Bungles.
Nothing that will stop you enjoying yourself at all. Make sure you have a spare for the trailer also and give the trailer suspension a thorough going over every now and then (especially upon return).Chip
AnswerID: 16570

Reply By: Greg - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 11:59

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 11:59
Doug there are off road trailers and trailers that are that by name only. Any badly corrugated road will quickly wreck all but the toughest trailers. If yours is one of the better ones then no problems. It is always a good idea to carry a spare spring, shocker, wheel bearing and shackle bolts if applicable. Speed is usually the biggest problem where any sort of damage is done. Don't blame the trailer, tyres or anything else but yourself. Also the more weight the slower you go and don't try and drive at speed to ride the corrugations as many of the experts suggest you must do. This only works in very specific situations and is not a good idea when towing.
AnswerID: 16593

Reply By: Doug - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 23:04

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 23:04
Thanks for the info, my family and I are certainly looking forawrd to the trip. Slow and steady will be our method.
AnswerID: 16663

Follow Up By: Coops - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 08:46

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 08:46
Gibb River Road is nowhere near as difficult as urban myth makes it out to be and you will enjoy it immensely with proper planning.

Wish I was going again !
FollowupID: 10308

Reply By: Member - Stewart - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 21:17

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 21:17
Hi Doug. We did the Gibb, and Kalumbaru last Christmas in my Jackaroo TD Auto. A few comments you might be interested in. (We didn't tow a trailer). We came across a couple from Brissy on our way to the Kimberley (on the Gulf Track), with a hired "off road camper". They lost a wheel (cotter pin came out and wheel nut came off). This caused them no end of trouble, so I would suggest you take the spares described above, as well as a spare wheel (stub axle) nut and cotter pin. Stop regularly and do a walk around of the vehicle and trailer (it is good to stretch your legs and gives a good break from the corrugations).The Gibb can change character from week to week. We found it very good. The Kalumbaru Rd was ok on the way north, but coming south it was a shocker. When we were there it was taking people three hours to drive the last 13km in to Mitchell Falls so we gave that a miss. Drive very carefully on the corrugations and slow down well before any corners. The rear end of the vehicle tends to want to overtake the front end if you are going too fast over corrugations on a corner. (The staff at Drysdale River Station said that only three weeks into the tourist season, there were six roll-overs already, one while I was there). I camped at Honeymoon Bay, north of Kalumbaru (permit required), and this was a magic spot. The King Edward river was also great (some good aboriginal artwork there). If you feel the urge, the scenic flight from Drysdale River Station, over the Prince Regent River, Bonaparte Archepelego, Mitchell Falls and return is fantastic.

As the others above have stated, slow and steady is the way to go. I'm sure you will have a great time. For your info we did 21,500km in 3 months, including the Strzelecki, Birdsville, Oodnadatta and Gulf Tracks, Gibb River and Kalumbaru Roads, Tanami Track, Chambers Pillar (worst road of the trip) and the Simpson Desert. Let me know if I can give you any more help. (Wish I was going again, Love the Cooper Creek area.)
AnswerID: 16823

Reply By: Member - Kevin (NSW/ACT) - Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 14:31

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 14:31
Doug,

Did the GRR, Kalumburu, Bungles, and Tanami in 2000 with my Discovery 300Tdi and Trak Shak off road camping trailer. Did a shock absorber on the trailer between Drysdale Station and King Edward River (it was 6 years old). Didn't have a spare so had to wait 4 days at King Edward River until one was flown in to Drysdale from Kununurra. No other problems and found no roads in the area we couldn't/wouldn't go on - but they do change from season to season.

Take care and have a good range of spares and all should go well for your trip.

Kevin - sitting here, thinking of there

------------------------------------------

2002 GU Patrol ST 4.2TD

2000 15' Supreme Getaway
AnswerID: 17050

Sponsored Links