Landcruiser 80 series sub fuel tank

Submitted: Monday, Mar 31, 2003 at 23:56
ThreadID: 4156 Views:14461 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
A mate of mine has just purchased an 80 series Landcruiser Advantage (1995) and it has a sub fuel tank. We have tried to fillthis tank but cannot do so, there is definately something happening when pull the plug out to change the filling tank but the obviously there is some sort of blockage, or something we are missing. And yes we flick the lever inside the car first.

Would anyoneknow anything about this.. and if so I would appreciate your comments.

Andi from Victoria
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 00:53

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 00:53
Andi,
So when you go to fill the sub tank (with the lever pulled outwards) the bowser keeps shutting off?
You should here a distinct light thump when pulling the lever out which is the flap/valve switching position for transfer of fuel to the sub tank. If you pull the lever 'fully' outwards and it comes out easy or with no noise there must be a problem with the mechanism.
I've never come across the problem but try "80 series owners online" which is a pretty good website for solving problems etc.
All the bestLove the bush.
Chris
AnswerID: 16546

Reply By: tour boy - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 06:53

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 06:53
Quick question. Is the tank full and the wire come off the gauge?
AnswerID: 16555

Reply By: Kev. - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 09:29

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 09:29
When he does get it working i would check the filters after using the sub-tank.
This may have not worked for years and could have stale fuel or rust ect.

If its a diesel you could have other problems like alge or water from condensation.

BTW- if you want to check if the tank is full and the gauge reading wrong just jump under and tap on the tank.

Kev.
AnswerID: 16571

Reply By: Andi - Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 12:04

Friday, Apr 04, 2003 at 12:04
Thanks guys for help we found part of switching value mechansim to open the sub fuel tank for filling was bent. We used a bit of WD-40 and brute strength to strighten the rod and fixed it.

He will run it around at easter using the fuel out of the sub tank and then we will change the fuel filters as suggested in case the tank hasn't
been used for a while.

Once again thanks for you help and suggestions!
AnswerID: 16866

Sponsored Links