uhf aerials

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 00:06
ThreadID: 4158 Views:1760 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a GME 4400 uhf radio, I am going to buy a 6.5db ground independent aerial.........Question, which is the best brand to buy?, I was told Polar is a good one.......regards Mike.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wayne - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 02:19

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 02:19
I am no expert on radios but I have the electrophone 6.5db ground independant on my TX4400. I figure if they build a great radio, I might as well trust their aerial too %
%:-)
%
AnswerID: 16551

Reply By: Member - Wayne - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 02:20

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 02:20
I am no expert on radios but I have the electrophone 6.5db ground independant on my TX4400. I figure if they build a great radio, I might as well trust their aerial too.
cheers
wayne %
%:-)
%
AnswerID: 16552

Reply By: Jarrod - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 12:43

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 12:43
G'day Mike,

Two brands to recommend in the type of antenna you have decided on. Polar, as you have suggested is an excellent antenna, We use them on nearly all of our work cars ( marked police vehicles!!) as is RFI or RF industries. ( I think this one is available thru Dick smith) well used to be anyway. Was about $80, My advice would be to also buy a base mounting spring.
When you say Ground independant I assume you mean the 200mm (or so) "chrome tube" that a normal 5/8ths co -linear ( stainless steel or fibreglass antenna, about 500mm overall length, with a coil just under 1/2 way up) type setup ?? - these are an excellent choice, when mounted on a bullbar. Both the above antennae are very rugged, and only use quality components. I've had the RFI version, and it's been on my last 4 cars !! never had a problem with it. Ive got the Stainless antenna on mine, with the spring, has bounced straight back following a roo strike at 80Kph. ( can't say the same for the TJM bar) 100 series now has ARB!!! If youre' going to terminate the co-ax yourself, pay particular attention to the instructions, with regard to lengths of braid, inner insulation/conductor etc. If youve not done this before, I would strongly reccommend you buy the antenna with the co-ax already fitted. Remember, when fitting, heaps of silicone around the bottom of the antenna, where the coax runs up inside the shaft of the chrome tube. - I've had a few apart, and found that water had "wicked" up into the internals, causing corrosion and internal problems. Not good for comms at all, and cable ties to keep the co-ax from slapping around or rubbing through any barwork or body metal.

Hope this helps,

Jarrod.
AnswerID: 16595

Follow Up By: nbi - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 15:40

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 15:40
G'day Jarrod,
Just read your reply about the aerials, just out of interest was the TJM bullbar an alloy or steel bar? The T15 (?) winch bar or something else, I only ask because I'm trying to decide which bar to go with. I'm planning side-rails and step as well and also hoping to fit water tanks under, which may be a problem with the side-rail/step setup. Thanks Neil.
FollowupID: 10245

Reply By: Bob - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:05

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 20:05
Mike,

Polar are pretty hard to beat, for their size. You can always unscrew the whip, and put on a 6" unity gain, for clearance etc. Hooroo...
AnswerID: 16635

Sponsored Links