Fridge

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 10:19
ThreadID: 4163 Views:1787 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
This is possibly a silly question, but we have an Engel Traveller fridge running constantly in the back of our Surf, is it wise to run it this way, or should we turn it off between usage?

I would have thought that turning it off and on would do more harm than leaving it running constantly. We have a dual battery system that is running in parrallel at the moment, but are planning to split them (as soon as I can decide on a good system), so power isnt a problem, merely concern about ensuring long life.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Voxson - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 10:43

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 10:43
On my engel instructions it states that the unit should be left on as much as possible..
It even mentions to leave it on as a bar fridge whilst at home..._____________________________________________
Countin the days till July 5th. *Cape York Trip*

Reply By: Member - Willem- Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 23:08

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2003 at 23:08
My first Engel was the 15 litre with a plastic body. I had it 17 years (it never needed repairs or a service) before I gave it to a friend in good working condition. The body was smashed though. In the days before we had dual batteries we turned the fridge off at night when camping so as not to drain the battery. Once home again the fridge would be left in storage till the next trip which could be months. I do not think that turning the fridge off would harm it in any way. I now have a 32 litre Engel and it works well on the same principle. Even with a dual battery system I still tend to turn it off at night as we sleep in the back of the vehicle and the humming keeps me awake.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 16664

Reply By: maverick - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 09:49

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 09:49
any/all fridges and /or freezers are more efficient if they remain operating all the time. having said that it just doesn't matter. the only drawback being a longer time to cool down the contents making the compressor work a bit longer. like everybody else i had an engel for years and even a roll over hasn't stopped my newer one from going. for some reason they still seem to be the benchmark of fridges.
AnswerID: 16761

Sponsored Links