12 volt DC battery charger

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 02, 2003 at 19:56
ThreadID: 4190 Views:1816 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
On page 233 of the 4wd monthly(no52) there is an ad for a 12 volt DC battery charger from Christie Engineering. It is a 50cc Honda coupled to a Bosch 55amp alternator. I have scamed a loan of one of these for the easter break from a Brisbane distributor to trial it and would like to know if anyone has one, and can you give me any stats on it like how long to bring a flat battery back to life,size of the battery etc. Has anyone compared this to buying a small generator with a three stage charger for running a campertrailer? My feeling is that I can run this while I'm in camp to keep the battery topped up as it can run at 55 amps and then lock it away until the battery runs down again.It apparently has a three stage charger built into the alternator that senses the condition of your battery. Any info would be of assistance to help me make an informed decision
Regard's

Firey (Qld)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - NOBBY - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 08:16

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 08:16
Firey.. I have one of the Christie Gen Sets. Mine is the 100amp model and I find it terrific for charging the Batteries.Yesterday I had to use it on the wifes car as her battery was completely dead( left the lights on all day- don't ask) and I had the battery back to fully charged with one tank on fuel. It only charges on demand and you can see from the LED readout how much is going in. Have a talk to Springers at Bald Hills who are the agents. As to buying a Honda Gen set, I did the sums and reckon that for my purpose the Christie Set was better ( horses for courses though). My only purpose was to charge batteries. A Honda would have taken 10 hours (off memory) to do the same job that my set now does in one hour. They are not all that noisy, although the smaller set (55amp) is a lot noiser that the 100amp set. The price was not much more either. Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 16756

Follow Up By: firey - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 13:03

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 13:03
Thanks Nobby, I didnt no there was a 100 amp model and it is Springers that I have been talking to and your info is basically what I have been told so far..
Regard's
Firey
FollowupID: 10387

Sponsored Links