<span class="highlight">Globalstar</span> Sattelite Phones,

Submitted: Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 14:37
ThreadID: 42152 Views:3420 Replies:11 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Borrowed from Yahoo Groups Codan Forum,

satellite-troubles-could-cause-service-shutdown

GlobalStar: Satellite Troubles Could Cause Service Shutdown
Posted by Eric Savitz
One thing you really want to have as a satellite communications company is a nice collection of well-functioning satellites. Without them, to state the incredibly obvious, you own a nice collection of space junk.

And that is the problem that now faces GlobalStar (GSAT), the satellite communications provider.

Last night, the company filed an incredible 8-K document with the SEC. In a section labeled "Satellite Constellation Operations," the company made some disturbing disclosures. Globalstar has previously said that a number of its satellite have suffered from degradation of performance of power amplifiers to the S-band antenna which provides the downlink to subscriber phones or data terminals. The result can be reduced quality and call duration. If the S-band antenna stops working, then you can't have a two-way conversation using the specific satellite. GlobalStar conjectures that the amplifier problem might relate to irradiation in orbit, but it isn't entirely sure.

The company says it has managed the issue in various ways, including placing spare satellite already in orbit into service and moving its satellites to different orbits. Previously, the company has said that with the addition of eight spare satellites planned for launch in 2007, two-say service would be viable until a set of next-generation satellites were placed into service in 2009.

And now, the punch line:

Based on data recently collected from satellite operations, the Company has concluded that the degradation of the amplifiers is now occurring at a rate that is faster than previously experienced and faster than the Company had previously anticipated. In response, the Company, in consultation with outside experts, has implemented innovative methods, and plans to continue to implement additional
corrective measures, to attempt to ameliorate this problem, including modifying the configuration of its constellation as described above, and thereby extend the life of the two-way communication capacity of the constellation. Nonetheless, to date the Company has been unable to correct the amplifier problem and may be unable to do so.

So you can see where this is going, right?

Based on its most recent analysis, the Company now believes that, if the degradation of the S-band antenna amplifiers continues at the current rate or further accelerates, and if the Company is unsuccessful in developing additional technical solutions, the quality of two-way communications services will decline, and by some
time in 2008 substantially all of the Company's currently in-orbit satellites will cease to be able to support two-way communications services. As the number of in-orbit satellites with properly functioning S-band antenna decreases, despite a successful launch and optimized placement in orbit of the eight spare satellites in mid-2007, increasingly larger coverage gaps will recur over areas
in which the Company currently provides two-way communication services. Subscriber service will continue to be available, but at certain times in any given location it will take substantially longer to establish calls and the average duration of calls may be impacted adversely.

GlobalStar says it is "exploring the feasibility of accelerating procurement and launch of its second-generation satellite constellation, to attempt to reduce the effects of this problem upon its customers and operations." It says the company "will be able to
forecast the duration of service coverage at any particular location in its service area and intends to make this information available without charge to its service providers, including its wholly owned operating subsidiaries, so that they may work with their subscribers to reduce the impact of the degradation in service quality in their respective service areas."

GlobalStar says it is "also reviewing its business plan in light of these developments."

But the bottom line is this: GlobalStar customers who use them for two-way communications better start looking for alternatives.

This morning, GlobalStar investors are looking for alternatives: the company's shares have tumbled $4, or 28%, to $10.48.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 14:54

Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 14:54
Yes - this is very interesting.

I am not paying anything for my service at the moment because it became so intermittent and poor almost anywhere I went. Couldn't get reliable service basically.

It took quite a few calls to G* for any acknowledgement of the problem. Eventually they agreed to put everything on hold until the situation improved ... allegedly it will improve in about April ... but on the basis of this release, maybe not!

Cheers
Andrew.
AnswerID: 220822

Reply By: Mike Harding - Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 15:43

Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 15:43
If their microwave amps. are being degraded by cosmic radiation (the atmosphere shields us from much of it but electronics which go into orbit need to be "hardened" or otherwise protected) they are not going to recover and I cannot imagine any solution which does not require replacement of a part so, I suspect, the only solution will be satellite replacement - oh dear.... :(

HF radio? Your time has come again.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 220827

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 21:36

Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 21:36
Mike,
This is truly a hard one to fix.
Let's say we can easily schedule and pay for the space walk, the actual parts become a major problem!
Like for like and we postpone the inevitable.
New amplifiers must have the same or lower power requirements, they must be resistant to the current problem (the current fault hasn't even been roughly diagnosed), they must have the same mass, the same centre of gravity and a whole host of things that affect the satellite!!
Then we've got to produce enough spares and space walks while we've still got a business!!
Some days I'm glad I just do tech support for software and micro-processor based control systems!!

Geoff
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 481572

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Feb 10, 2007 at 16:59

Saturday, Feb 10, 2007 at 16:59
Hi Geoff

Yep this is one of the big problems with designing electronics which go into space vehicles; one has to foresee _everything_ which may go wrong and many of those possibilities cannot be simulated on earth.

Military battlefield electronics are similar in that if they fail and people die it's not much good saying "Sorry" afterwards. It does highlight the enormous complexity of many of these systems though. Then again; try as we might we are not perfect. I'm currently involved with some Australian Standards stuff relating to life critical products and have just discovered a product by a major international manufacturer will fail under (I would have thought predictable) certain circumstances. We have created such a complex world that we should not be surprised when thing go wrong.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 481657

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Saturday, Feb 10, 2007 at 18:27

Saturday, Feb 10, 2007 at 18:27
Mike,

Your comment,,,"We have created such a complex world that we should not be surprised when thing go wrong.,,,,,,"

I think that could easily be applied to these high-tech Euro diesels as well. It's just something else to go wrong.

The KISS principle is an outstanding philosophy. As is HF radio and a 6.5 litre "no electronics" diesel ;)

I knew something smelled fishy when I was looking at buying a sat phone last year and my mate had one north of Meekatharra that couldn't hold a call for longer than 20 seconds!!

I binned the sat phone idea and stayed with my HF radio and VKS 737.

Bilbo
FollowupID: 481663

Reply By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 16:21

Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 16:21
Rather entertaining that G* are advertising on this page ... perhaps Dave needs to think about how he feels about advertising a product that the vendor knows doesn't do what it is intended to ...
AnswerID: 220831

Reply By: Member - Kim and Doug (QLD) - Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 16:22

Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 16:22
we have just cancelled our service with globalstar for just this very reason very very very very poor sat reception even on top of bluerag ridge vic on a clear day.
i rang the next day and left them a message about their poor service on their answering machine this was in jan 2005 never even had a response back.

Had very poor reception this year up high in guy fawkes national park on a clear night ended up using a public phone in glenn innes the next day.
all this for $35 per month plus call costs tell them they are dreaming if they think i am using them again
AnswerID: 220834

Reply By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 16:33

Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 16:33
I don't have a problem with Sat phones , it's a good idea technology, what I don't agree with is the fact they are still advertising the dual system Sat / CDMA and to buy one of those now or even 10 months ago would be a waste of money and investment,because CDMA is closing so most of the phones potential will be lost, Yep I know something new will pop up but I'm talking CDMA right now, maybe a Sat / 3G will be up and running in the future,,now after all that I still don't have a Sat phone .

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 220839

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 16:51

Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 16:51
Hi Doug,
Just something to be aware of, the Motorola Iridiums have an optional GSM kit available for them.
What this does is allow the phone to make calls on the GSM or the Iridium network. In the phone configuration you can set the following,

1. Satellite Only
2. GSM first then Satellite
3. Satellite then GSM

The phone will scan the available networks and then make the call on the first choice if available otherwise it switches to the backup network.

The GSM phones will still make calls on the 3G network, they just don't have all the HSDPA features.

Geoff
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 481488

Reply By: Pomgonewalkabout - Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 17:06

Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 17:06
I've still got my $350 Sat phone that I purchased from Ebay. A westinghouse and it costs me $35 a month with Optus.

Okay the two boxes are the size of a shoebox but it works okay (at the moment)

Interesting when CDMA shuts down will the CDMA / Sat phones be obsolete?

cheers
AnswerID: 220845

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 17:15

Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 17:15
The CDMA component certainly will be.

And if Globalstar continues down this path then the satellite component will too.

Geoff
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 481496

Follow Up By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 22:43

Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 22:43
Optus sat phones are a different constellation of satellites and a different setup to G* though.
FollowupID: 481589

Reply By: Footloose - Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 19:46

Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 19:46
I'm glad Geoff posted this, I thought about posting it and then said hmm..lets see...you've previously shown that you've had problems with their lack of service...they are an EO advertiser....people are sure to slam me as they know I have affiliations with HF....etc etc
If I still had a Globalstar or was thinking of getting one, I think that this post might scare me off.
And the post came from a very reliable source that can be verified.
AnswerID: 220870

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (SA) - Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 20:18

Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 20:18
This must be why about 6 wks ago alot of Globalstar sat phones started appearing on Ebay, each week the are getting cheaper to buy and more listings.

Go Optus Mobilesat, great coverage anywhere.

Regards Richard
AnswerID: 220879

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 21:23

Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 21:23
Hi Richard,
Do Optus have their own satellite's or do they re-sell air time on someone else's?

Geoff
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 481563

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Saturday, Feb 10, 2007 at 16:46

Saturday, Feb 10, 2007 at 16:46
. . . and this might also explain why there's not a single Iridium-compatible Satphone (Motorola 9500 or 9505) for sale in Australia on eBay at the moment !
FollowupID: 481656

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 20:38

Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 20:38
Keep in mind that the Iridium network uses totally different satellites, so are not affected by this problem.

If you use a Telstra GSM SIM card with International Roaming then you don't need to pay ANY monthly fees. Just put the SIM card into the Motorola 9500/9505 and the call costs appear on your next GSM bill.

You do pay more per call and you pay for incoming calls, but it's a great option for a "just in case" Satellite Service.
AnswerID: 220889

Follow Up By: Austravel - Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 15:00

Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 15:00
Hi Mike,

Is this the same for the new 3g phone sim card, it can be used in the sat phone?
FollowupID: 482896

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (SA) - Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 22:14

Friday, Feb 09, 2007 at 22:14
Optus uses one satellite, the Optus C1 positioned over Gaum in the North pacific Ocean (36000K away).

Optus is classed as the best in satellite comms.

Being geo stationary (not moving) you have no drop out calls, better coverage and a more constant signal plus it is alot cheaper for calls on the $35.00 plan

We were going to get an Iridium phone but after doing alot of research we went for the Optus S2 system, there are many benifits with the Optus system and the S2 over the others.

Regards Richard
AnswerID: 220909

Reply By: Member - Neil M (SA) - Monday, Feb 12, 2007 at 17:02

Monday, Feb 12, 2007 at 17:02
Pretty disturbing news. However, I've had no problems with my Globalstar reception or with their service - last trip was on the Birdsville track, K1 line, Hay River, eastern Madigan line, Simpson Desert, Cordillo Downs road and the Strezlecki track July 2006. I used it every afternoon for a message sched check without a problem - I only want to be available on my terms while I'm in the middle of no where. I don't use it with an in car installation. I guess it would be pretty telling if the cover there has since changed.
AnswerID: 221254

Follow Up By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 20:48

Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 20:48
I can say that very similar locales - much of it the same as you in September 2006 the situation was entirely the opposite.

Some potential cover, but pick up the phone to make a call and you get disconnected almost instantly, if you could make the outward call at all ... and the situation has been getting worse, in my experience over the last 12 months.

G* started saying that the issue didn't exist - user error, basically. Then that it might be my phone, and to take it to a dealer (who just verified that it wasn't the phone and they were getting lots of these issues), then (by now months later) that there were some coverage difficulties, but no more than 15 min wait to connect, and eventually that the problems were much more extreme than all that, and now, clearly acknowledging that the problems are catastrophic.

Like you I don't have an in-car installation, but let me recommend that you don't rely on it like you used to.
FollowupID: 482987

Sponsored Links