Recovery Hooks

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 14:24
ThreadID: 4242 Views:5184 Replies:6 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
I am wanting to fit recovery hooks to the front and rear of a 75 series Troopcarrier, before heading to Cape York in June. However, it is difficult to find a position on the chasis to attach them. Has anyone sucessfully done this, and should they be bolted or will welding them on (which seems my only option) suffice. Alternativly, if I were to attach a hook to the the place the towball usually fits could I use this as a snatch strap point.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 14:53

Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 14:53
If you have the Hayman Reece type towbar... remove the tongue and thread snatch strap through bar. Otherwise a sling over chassis rails provides a good spread of force. cheers RoyceRoyce www.funshow.com.au
AnswerID: 16968

Follow Up By: plexus - Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 15:43

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 15:43
Just be aware that if you use this as a snatch point, bending the pin is a common occurrance; consequently you can have a hard time getting the pin out. I use two hooks on the back of my 60 series and a bridle chain when doing snatches - recommend you find a way of attaching the hooks if you can on the back of yours.
FollowupID: 10637

Reply By: Kev. - Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 15:21

Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 15:21
I dont belive you should "sling over a chassis rail".

Theres no exuse for not fitting a decent recovery hook if you plan to go out bush !

Michael, im sure you can fitt a rec/hooks to the 75 series as i have fitted them to my 80 series chassis and my old Hilux .
The chassis front and rear has threaded holes ready for such use except the hooks you buy in the 4wd shops have the two bolt holes too close together.
What i did was to visit the local 4wd shops and ask for second hand ones that have been removed from customer cars to fit bull bars ect, i bought 4 hooks to suit the Cruiser for $5 each ($30 each new).

Im not sure about welding them on ,some one else my enlighten us on that one ! but i know most trailer tow recivers are ment to be bolted and welded.
AnswerID: 16974

Follow Up By: Kev. - Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 15:23

Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 15:23
Opps !

I ment bolted and NOT welded !
FollowupID: 10585

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 17:54

Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 17:54
Kev ,you would find that welding recovery hooks and /or trailer recievers is a strict no no,,against ADR and just plain not stong enough for the loads encounterd,,,weld either and your insurance cover just flew out the window.
FollowupID: 10590

Follow Up By: plexus - Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 15:46

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 15:46
Agreed: never, EVER weld recovery points to a vehicle - the tensile strength just doesn't come anywhere near high-tensile bolts. Besides, hooks have been known to bleep ter or bend - if it's welded on, what do you do?

And of course make sure the hook is rated. Regarding the second-hand hooks, are they rated? If you can't see the numbers, spend the 30 bucks. Cheaper thah having an (unrated) projectile heading towards your nose.
FollowupID: 10638

Reply By: LkPatrol - Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 17:22

Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 17:22
Michael.

On my GQ the ends of the chassis rails are easily visible - I imagine the troopy would be simiar in this respect. If you look underneath the front you will see there are usually some factory mounting holes for recovery hooks just behind where the the bullbar is mounted.
On the patrol there is already a substantial hook fitted on the drivers side - I picked up a second hook for the other side from a 4x4 wreckers for $3, and fitted it using high tensile bolts & washers. The holes didn't quite line up, but it was easy enough to use one, line up the hook, then drill another hole in the right spot - Total cost, about $7.
You could do the same at the rear, but I didn't bother with rear recovery points, just rely on the Hayman Reese towbar to spread the load.

Cheers, Les
AnswerID: 16982

Reply By: Member - Topcat - Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 21:20

Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 21:20
Hi Michael, on the 75 series Landcruisers at the front end of each chassis rail you should find a towing eye welded to the rail to which you can fit a 'D' shackle.
On the rear chassis crossrail, (on the Troopy series) at the central position, there are 4 pre-tapped 10mm holes to which a pad eye can be bolted to using high tensile bolts and a 'D' shackle can be fitted to this for recovery purposes.
You will find using 'D' shackles to connect your recovery gear to is safer then using towing hooks, especially if the tension suddenly comes off the recovery gear. Have Wheels Will Travel
AnswerID: 16999

Follow Up By: bruce.h - Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 20:50

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 20:50
gday top cat

the loop at the front of 75 is no way strong enough to be used for a snatch recovery i have seen heeps of these pulled off ,as to using a d shackle they should aslo be avoided where posible as all you are adding is aleathal weapon if some thing gives way tow hooks bolted to the chassis with high tensil bolts is the only way to go
Regards Bruce
FollowupID: 10655

Follow Up By: Member - Topcat - Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 22:03

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 22:03
Bruce, you may be right in some cases, but I have used these front points with a snatch recovery strap connected to both by means of chains many times & have had no problems. Perhaps if only one side was connected up this would reduce the pulling torque by half thus causing the connections to break off; besides when I use a snatch strap I don't go start off like a bat out hell to pull a person out of a bog like some people I've seen do!!! Have Wheels Will Travel
FollowupID: 10660

Reply By: Truckster - Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 21:23

Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 21:23
If you have a Hayman Reece towbar (CHECK ITS MOUNTED WITH HI TENSILE BOLTS, LOTS ARENT!), you have a recovery point. You can actually buy a tounge with a hook on the end of it for $50.

Front.. Most vehicles have a position you can mount hooks to the chassis.

If in doubt, goto your local Toyota Land cruiser Club meeting, and see what others have done. If your in Sydney, I can say safely there will be 50+ Troopys there.. There was when we went.
AnswerID: 17000

Follow Up By: plexus - Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 15:49

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 15:49
Yes we're having a TLLC meeting tonight - there are always plenty of troopies to look at.
FollowupID: 10640

Reply By: chopper - Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 22:57

Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 22:57
MOunting to the front is easy, there are already holes there, they may be obscured by your bullbar though, have agood loook.

I went looking for a place to mount a rear hook and could not find one that woiuld not cause the strap to rub against the tow bar.

i use the Hayman Reese towing pin myself, although i have heard mixed reports about this.
AnswerID: 17014

Follow Up By: Bob - Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 01:24

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 01:24
Hi

I have a 75 series Tropy and it already has "recovery loops" attached at the front of each chassis rails. Are these true recovery points or just shipping tie-downs? Any comments welcome.

I have a Kaymar rear step/bar with twin wheel carriers. It has a Haymwn-Reese style towing attachment and also has two recovery/towing brackets on the step/bar. Haven't had to use them in earnest yet.

I have heard that it is unwise to simply attach a snatch strap or tow line to teh pin that goews through the hitch, as the load may bend the pin and then you will never get it out! The use of the special towing, rocvoery hitch as mentioned above would be preferable, I would think.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 10607

Follow Up By: Truckster - Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 11:36

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 11:36
Bob you have nothing to worry about with the pin... Ive snatched people out probably over 75 times over the last 2 yrs, and never bent one yet.

Dont know anyone personally thats bent one either, the only thing I have had is had some piece of bleep steal my pin and tounge once. Dont ever leave it on the car now.
FollowupID: 10623

Follow Up By: Kev. - Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 13:09

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 13:09
Bob, no they arnt true recovery hooks and would not use them.

You may get away with it most of the time but just not worth the risk, i have seen a pic of someone breaking one when snaching.

My "loops" where only bolted on so i removed them and fitted the tow hooks.
FollowupID: 10628

Follow Up By: bruce.h - Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 20:57

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 20:57
gday guys
have to agree the loops are definatly not for recovery ihave seen them come off first hand 7 its not a preety site,truckster you may well have safetly used your hayman recce hitch but are you aware that hayman recce have in writing stated that the hitch is in no way suitable for this type of recovery & if something went wrong you would be open to a law suit from injured or dameged parties ,it still supprises me after all thes years that people stiil think that there is a safer aternative than recovery hooks maybe it isnt till you see it first hand the damage one of thes way ward straps can do that you err on the sidfe of caution
Regards bruce
FollowupID: 10656

Follow Up By: Truckster - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 00:40

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 00:40
You had better inform the 4wd association of Vic and NSW, as thats what they teach in driver training thru clubs, is suitable for snatching a 4wd...

Wife did her driver training the other week, so its fresh in her mind, and the booklet they gave out, and the NSW patrol club one that Ian O gave me when I did mine thru them.
FollowupID: 10668

Follow Up By: bruce.h - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 10:38

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 10:38
truckster
that supprises me as as far as i was aware allstates had been notified & recieved the copy of the letter so iwill look into it
Regards bruce
FollowupID: 10738

Sponsored Links