Chambers pillar - Rainbow valley

Submitted: Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 08:49
ThreadID: 4256 Views:2021 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know details of the road between Chambers Pillar & Rainbow Valley. I've heard of people going this way but can't find a map showing this route. Thanks.Back to the desert this Easter, can't wait!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mike - Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 09:14

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 09:14
Paul,
I have done Rainbow Valley to railway line, down line to Stock Route and then overto Maryvale 18 months ago. I believe track from Rainbow Valley to rail line has now been closed by owners and only route avaiable is down highway to stock route, and then head east. Is this what you had in mind?
MikeToo little time in the bush!
AnswerID: 17022

Reply By: Mike - Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 10:34

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 10:34
In August, we went down the Hwy and across the stock route. Most of the S/R was some of the best maintained dirt roads I've driven. Also picked up plenty of fifewood under the railway bridge. In contrast,the track into Chambers Pillar was one of the worst roads we travelled, but worth every corrugation.

Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 17029

Reply By: GOB - Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 17:38

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 17:38
we were up there last august ,the track along the fence is closed to commoners but the bloke who does the 4x4 tours inthe occa has a key and permission to do the fence run i believe there is a back way in to rainbow valley from the maryvale rd ??? but finding it and following we were led to believe that it was just as quick to go out to hwy and along depends on which way your going .the corrugations were horrendous we lost our gas tank so make sure everything is tight and well tied down we stayed overnight saw sunset and sunrise at chambers pillar and loved every minute out there but there is basicly only one way in and out .
the only problem will be if it rains so check your weather before heading in there
we are very envious if you are going up soon but we will go back in the next couple of years
enjoy the peace and quiet out there

steve89 nissan looking foward to august and more travelling
AnswerID: 17061

Reply By: Ronnie - Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 21:16

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 21:16
Paul
Check out the trek notes on Chambers Pillar,used these last August,no worries.don't know if it has been closed since then though.
Regards
Ronnie
AnswerID: 17070

Reply By: Ronnie - Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 21:16

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 21:16
Paul
Check out the trek notes on Chambers Pillar,used these last August,no worries.don't know if it has been closed since then though.
Regards
Ronnie
AnswerID: 17071

Reply By: lindsay - Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 22:01

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 22:01
Went from Rainbow Valley to the Pillar as you want to couple of years ago. Asked in Alice Touristy places. They said no way all the gates are locked and you can't go. Went to Nat. Parks mob they said ring Orange Creek station. i did that and got permission no gates. Save some Ks.
Last year tried to go opposite way from the pillar there is a sign there just north of the range and it said no entry. Even saw the Occa going over the hill. We then went via the stock route and up the rail line to get in the back way to the valley and could not find the track and it was only a couple of years ago. So from my observations i don't think it is possible.
AnswerID: 17078

Reply By: Member - Russell - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 21:22

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 21:22
We went into Rainbow valley in Aug 01 from Stuart Hwy, but couldn't see a way to get directly across to Chambers Pillar, so went back to Alice and back down on the Finke road. Road in from Maryvale to CP is a bit of a shocker, but you need to go for the views at dusk/dawn.Russell S

Prado RV6
AnswerID: 17334

Sponsored Links