Hand held <span class="highlight">GPS</span>

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 22:32
ThreadID: 42604 Views:2287 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at purchasing a handheld GPS and do not want to get stung. Any recommendations? Any particular problems with any?? Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 23:14

Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 23:14
You'll need to post more info. What are your requirements ? Which ones are you looking at ? Where are you looking eg Ebay or a shop or the Net ?
AnswerID: 223455

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Jackie - Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 23:25

Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 at 23:25
Maybe you could have a look at our GPS article for some assistance which has just recently been updated Site Link or maybe view the GPS products we have at the Adventure Shop Site Link. I have just put a couple of new Bluetooth GPS units on the site today which are highly recommended by our supplier. They are very new so I am still to learn a bit more about them technically but if you would like further information just let me know.
Hope it may be of some assistance to you.
Thanks
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 223457

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Feb 23, 2007 at 03:30

Friday, Feb 23, 2007 at 03:30
Either the Magellan, or Garmin brands of handheld GPS units will give you reliable service. Choosing between the two brands is kinda like Toyota vs Patrol.

It probably depends on what your budget is, as to how many features you will get.

As Jackie has pointed out, the article on ExplorOz will give you valuable input.

Also, GPSOZ is a great site to obtain information before you choose which brand/model will do what you want it for.

The thing I like about GPSOZ, is that they sell both brands, so you will get a less biased viewpoint than some other sites.

Also consider:-
How you will mount it in your vehicle?
How will you power it to save the internal battery?
There are accessories to allow you to achieve this, whatever you choose.

Is a handheld GPS unit what you really need, or would you be better investing in a Personal Digital Assistant based solution with an installed GPS receiver and running something like OziExplorer for moving map capability for country travelling and an additional advantage of running voice prompted turn-by-turn navigation software in metropolitan areas. (like a smart street directory)
This can also be a handheld solution for "stand-alone" use, or installed in the vehicle (in a cradle) while travelling.

Sorry if I've complicated your choice, but hopefully it will help you choose the right solution for what you want to achieve, both now and the future.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 223469

Reply By: Shawn - Friday, Feb 23, 2007 at 08:48

Friday, Feb 23, 2007 at 08:48
People will recommend usually what they have, personally I would recommend the Explorist XL, good bit of kit.
But you need to do your own research to find the type, functions and size you want for the tasks you will want to use it for.
Here is a good place to start: Prestige Communications
To check to see if your getting ripped off try here: Static ICE
AnswerID: 223489

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Friday, Feb 23, 2007 at 09:09

Friday, Feb 23, 2007 at 09:09
Depends what you want to use it for? Turn by Turn directions ? or loading your own maps? We need more info.

I have 3 GPS's that I use. Garmin Etrex Legend for walking in the bush and stuff like that. Then I have a Navman for turn by turn directions and then I have a GPS mouse that plugs into my car PC and I use that off road with Oziexplorer and other map programs
AnswerID: 223493

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Saturday, Feb 24, 2007 at 10:20

Saturday, Feb 24, 2007 at 10:20
Proco2007

Consider a PDA GPS. I have purchased a HP IPAQ travel companion and with it I have TomTom for street navigation. I also have OziEzplorer CE loaded for off road or walking. It will also connect to my laptop on which I have oziexplorer and will run moving map on my laptop.

There are a lot of options out there so take your time and do some research. What I chose is what I considered suited me. What you require may be entirely different.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 223705

Reply By: kismet 283 - Monday, Mar 19, 2007 at 05:49

Monday, Mar 19, 2007 at 05:49
dont look at 4x4 or camping shops, go to ebay and save 50% or more. I got two garmin etrex,s new one for $157 another for $143 in shops

they were over $300 Ianc
AnswerID: 228238

Sponsored Links