is there a transmission/transfer case breather on the FJ60 series LandCruiser?

Submitted: Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 15:36
ThreadID: 4264 Views:5488 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can anybody tell me, categorically, if (and if so, where exactly) a 1986
FJ62 LandCruiser with the 5-speed box has a breather for the transmission and/or transfer case? I can't see/feel anything along the top of the transmission, and I'd like to know for sure before I expend the time and effort to drop the rear cross member to attach an extender hose, assuming there is anything to attach said hose TO.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bruce.h - Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 20:27

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 20:27
plexus yes there is a breatherit is located as far as i remember on top of the transmision & the transfer case, many 6o drivers used link the two of them together to help with the oil preasure build up in the transfer case not quite sure on the details of this but i believe that oil used to be able to flow into the transfer case but not back into the transmission hence the transmision was vunerable to damage if not watched closely at least as well as i can remember
Regards bruce
AnswerID: 17067

Reply By: Member - Topcat - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 08:39

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 08:39
Hi Plexus, if your problem is transmission oil carry over from the transfercase to the gearbox via the 5th gear splined shaft in the transfercase, then the problem is solved by connecting a hose to the filler plug on the gearbox to the filler plug on the transfercase.
This was a problem with mining companies using Toyota Landcruisers as their service vehicles in the early 1980's & this method was used to solve the problem.
You could buy adaptor kits from some 4WD shops to set this up. They had filler plugs fitted with hose connections & a short length of hose to connect the two together. Any excess oil carry over to the gearbox would drain back to the transfercase. Hope this helps solve your problem.
AnswerID: 17099

Follow Up By: plexus - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 09:51

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 09:51
No, I'm aware of the carryover problem but that's not it - I want to extend the breathers as every time I do a deep water crossing, it contaminates the oil.
FollowupID: 10674

Reply By: Bob - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 13:36

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 13:36
Plexus, the breather is just to front of T/case, right up on top. Can be difficult to find, as you've found out, and has a little cap on it like the diff breathers. If you have a small mirror, it might make it easier to find.

Wouldn't have a clue what thread is used to seat the breather, may be just clamp hose onto the breather, with cap removed first. Hooroo...
AnswerID: 17120

Sponsored Links