Cable route in 120 Prado

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 25, 2007 at 01:50
ThreadID: 42667 Views:10453 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I'll be picking up my new Turbo Diesel Prado this week and the first job to get done before the long weekend is cabling up the second battery to run the fridge in the back. Does anyone out there have experience in routing cables from the engine bay to the rear of a 120 Prado? What is the best route to take?

Cheers,
Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 25, 2007 at 08:22

Sunday, Feb 25, 2007 at 08:22
I did this about 1 month ago.

I went through the large 2" firewall grommet on the drivers side, and then pulled the kick panel out and ran the single (8mm) cable under the trim through to the back and terminated it at an anderson plug, and then an 8mm wire was used as an earth straight back to the metal frame of the car.

Easy peezy.
AnswerID: 223809

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Sunday, Feb 25, 2007 at 09:20

Sunday, Feb 25, 2007 at 09:20
Look on the firewall for a large grommet and go through there. To make it easy to get through the grommet use a tube ( an old piece of car antenna or some copper pipe etc) and poke through first. Then just slide the wire through and remove the pipe. May need to attach a feeder wire(small wire) to pull through first.

I prefer for fridges etc to run the earth back to the battery that way there are less chances of problems, especially with a fridge. Use large cable to stop voltage drop.

As par as the routing goes, remove the kick panels and door scuff plates you can then run it under the carpet to where ever you want it. All the trim panels in the Prado are easy to remove and are just clipped on.
AnswerID: 223814

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Sunday, Feb 25, 2007 at 09:23

Sunday, Feb 25, 2007 at 09:23
Hi Leachy

The two above replies are spot on. Just tie a knot in any seatbelts before removing the bottom bolt to prevent it retracting and getting stuck.

Regards

Derek.
AnswerID: 223817

Reply By: Member - Garth J (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 25, 2007 at 12:14

Sunday, Feb 25, 2007 at 12:14
Leachy,

On my Prado 120 I ran the cables through the firewall on the left hand side. There's a spare grommet there.

Remove the panel under the glove box. 2 screws.

Remove the left inside foot panel. one big rubber knob.

Remove the scuff panels along each of the two doors. Under here is where all the other cables are routed. Also the foot panel at the rear door. 2 plugs then screws.

You can remove the rubber trim of the arch and use something to get the cable to the storage box in the rear. About 700mm length not far. Protect the cable through here with split tubing. Lots of sharp edges where panels are joined.

In the rear on the left is the storage panel with the cover on. You can remove the bottom of the storage section if you wish. I mounted a fusebox in there and mounted the outlet on the cover. Gives me some versatility for further outlets or whatever. Plus you can replace the cover with another down the track if need be.

Use twin cable and run earth back to battery. This is best practice. C/B in engine bay for supply.

Removing the covers is not a big job. Just sounds like it.

PS The fridge slide needs to be on the left if drawers are fitted. This is because of the curvature of the rear door.

Cheers
Garth
AnswerID: 223836

Reply By: leachy_9 - Sunday, Feb 25, 2007 at 13:50

Sunday, Feb 25, 2007 at 13:50
Cheers guys....
AnswerID: 223853

Sponsored Links