Pajero Exceed

Submitted: Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 21:10
ThreadID: 4275 Views:3359 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at getting a Pajero Exceed after driving a Nissan for 4 years. Time for a change. Looking at the diesel automatic. Anyone have any comments on the Exceed.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Froilan - Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 21:29

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 21:29
hello twandy

i have the 2002 exceed petrol model so it does not have all the traction control features of the 2003 model. however still very capable and if driven sensibly will go to any terrain. did the tracks at yalwal (nowra) and went through with no problems. climbed the tallest dunes (alone) in stockton and not get bogged once. water crossings, just below the bonnet (as i do not have a snorkel), no problems.

have recently installed tough dogs suspension and springs to give me more ground clearance and better ride. also fitted yoko geolandar at+II (all terrain). heaps better grip than the standard h/t tyres. highly recommend a/t tyres specially if doing some 'more serious' terrain. the h/t tyres does not have the grip necessary once things get a bit slippery.

drinks petrol like it's running out of fashion, but diesel should be ok specially if towing.

has all the creature comforts including sunroof, cd stacker, etc., so i can't complain.
AnswerID: 17072

Follow Up By: Dean - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 13:18

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 13:18
Frolian,

Just a question regarding the GO11 AT+11, how do you find them on the road (noise), wear rate and what size did you fit,

Dean
FollowupID: 10683

Follow Up By: Lyds - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 21:36

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 21:36
I have Cooper STs, noisy buggers compared to the Yok's.
Cheers,

Stuart

- To err is human, to moo bovine -
FollowupID: 10713

Follow Up By: twandy - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 11:14

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 11:14
Hi Froilan, Information helpful and helps confirm my choice. Am doing a test drive on Sat. The suspension and springs will be something to look at but more importantly at the moment are the tyres. The only time I ever panicked was sliding down a hill in the wet. Can still feel the goosebumps. Can't drink as much petrol as the Nissan. Heard the purrrr of the diesel and it made my heart flutter. One of my previous 4x4 was diesel - loved it. Only towing occasional trailer. But no tape deck - very annoying. I don't have luxuries only necessities - leather seats, sunroof, cd player etc. It is called roughing it!

OF COURSE I DON'T LOOK BUSY...I DID IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!
FollowupID: 10744

Follow Up By: Froilan - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 19:18

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 19:18
twandy
road noise is not that bad. ridden on other 4wd shod with bfg at's and dueler at's and noise of the yoko is a lot less.

i've only done 6k's (60% on and 40% off) so still looks new.

fitted 265/75r16, allowed by 70mm height increase with the new tough dogs.
FollowupID: 10764

Reply By: Lyds - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 21:33

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 21:33
twandy,

I have an NM Exceed. I can tell you that I have never met an NM owner who hasn't been happy with the ride - smoothe, responsive, less roll than a Prado, etc. It also handles well offroad (mostly).

The main problems with the NM (for me, may not be problems for you):
- small fuel capacity; if you want additional fuel the rear A/C unit in the Exceed limits this to an additional 55L only.
- fewer accessories/options than other 4WDs
- plastic bumpers and design etc makes sand driving risky (see #4198); common for other NM owners too (Froilan??)
- low roof weight limit (something like only 65kgs)
- the rear seat bay makes it difficult for storage units (drawers); it is a great storage area though
- no snorkel
- lift is limited to about 50mm
- 6 stacker CD in Exceed leaves less room for comms gear
- seats have little space underneath; motorised driver seat leaves none.
- little room in leg spaces for things like fire extinguishers

As I'm trying to set this sucker up for a big trip with the Mrs and 2 kids, I finding these out as I go. Live and learn eh?

AnswerID: 17171

Follow Up By: twandy - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 10:55

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 10:55
Thank you Lyds. The information is greatly appreciated. I have had several landcruisers, a disco and now a patrol and I have always liked having a good roof rack, but having seen the sunroof, well, I can use a trailer a little more often. Where did you put the fire extinguisher? I have kept mine in the glove box in the past. Also annoyed that there is no tape deck. I might enjoy cds but I also need a tape deck. I go to the high country every couple of weeks and quite like the idea of not having to fill up until I get back to Melbourne which I could do in the cruiser but not the current 4x4. If you have any other good ideas, would appreciate them. Am looking forward to taking the exceed out for a test drive on saturday.
FollowupID: 10741

Follow Up By: Lyds - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 11:50

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 11:50
The fire extinguisher is behind the cargo barrier. I can reach it from within the cabin if need be.

Another thing is the engine bay is quite packed. To put in the 2nd battery needed quite a bit of maneuvering. As there was then no room for a compressor, this went under the passenger seat - unfortunately it has since sheered through the bolts and I need to get it remounted.

I am now going through the joys of setting up a storage system, and what to do about water. I'll be wiser by the weekend.

Cheers,

Stuart

FollowupID: 10749

Reply By: brett - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 15:46

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 15:46
If you get the diesel there's plenty of room for a battery and compressor, nothing to move, 2nd battery tray bolts straight in. Just installed mine in a few minutes.
AnswerID: 17231

Reply By: twandy - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 20:43

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 20:43
I noticed that the front was quite tight but it looked as though there just may have been enough room for another battery. Good place for the extinguisher. As to water. There was a system set up by Frank Murphy where he carried water (not sure where) but with a pipe going along side the car finishing with a tap. Quite ingenious. Noticed your fog lights appear adequate but the new ones on the exceed seem small, very small. Also I have always had an electric winch (got a lot of use too) but am now going for a hand winch. Notice you don't have one on your car. Are you also looking for space for that too. Sounds like your car is going to be very interesting.
AnswerID: 17247

Follow Up By: Lyds - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 21:46

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 21:46
No electric winch for me; just a hand winch.

The bulllbar is alloy which has already taken a beating - lower corner, drivers side.

The std high beam was a bit light on (pun intended), so added some IPFs which work a treat.

The 3rd seat bay is a great spot for all that recovery gear.

Cheers,
Stuart
FollowupID: 10960

Reply By: twandy - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 20:00

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 20:00
Well took the Exceed for a test run and it appears to be a good 4x4. Was happy with performance. Then took the new Patrol. Happy with that also. Looks like the exceed is a car with modifications for off road and the patrol is a 4x4 with on road modifications. Both took hills well and freeways (my current Patrol still has the shakes after 90) not so the newie. The exceed is very tight under the bonnet especially for the extra battery but patrol seems ok. Both being diesel looks like the exceed may be a lot better. The exceed has all the frills (sunroof, leather seats etc.) and the patrol will have to have cruise control fitted. The patrol feels roomier which is what I am use to having. Both sit well on the road. Decisons, decisions. Will also have a good look at tyres, battery fitting etc. as previous contributors have suggested.
AnswerID: 17481

Follow Up By: Froilan - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 23:17

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 23:17
twandy

a quick report on on-road performance of my yoko at+II. just came back from a trip to surfers paradise and did the theme park thing with the kids. total trip was 1900kms approx. on the syd to surf.par. leg, it rained, more like bucketted, from kempsey to tweed heads! the tires stuck to the road like glue, and we managed to maintain reasonable speed even in the wet. tried both 4wd and 2wd in the wet and the tyres just stuck to the tarmac. very impressed indeed, with the on-road attributes, and as said before, very impressive off-road as well.
FollowupID: 10962

Sponsored Links