GQ Snorkel noise , Exhaust noise

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 08, 2003 at 23:46
ThreadID: 4304 Views:2433 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Am considering fitting a snorkel to my 1990 GQ 4.2 diesel. It has a Safari turbo/intercooler system and the pre cleaner has been removed. Just wondering what effect they have regarding intake noise as it seems Hiluxes seem to suffer greatly? I Dont mind a slight increase but not something that drives me crazy on a long trip. Also wondering if having a resonator fitted to the exhaust system will reduce exhaust noise/resonance in the vehicle (has a 3" system)? Seems to become noticeable around 100kph. If so, should it be fitted at the front or rear of the exhaust system?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Goodsy - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 01:19

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 01:19
You won't have a problem with the snorkel. Did you have the exhaust fitted. If so whats in it. Only had one resonator in the hilux, was a bit noisey but put up with it for the power gain.
AnswerID: 17196

Reply By: Tony - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 07:04

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 07:04
G'day nugget, you will find the Safari snorkel ok on a 4.2, I have the same set up on my 4.2 patrol (turbo/intercooler) but still have the pre cleaner in place.

As for exhaust you are better off replaceing the muffler than adding a resonator, any exhaust place worth their salt will select the right one as long as you tell them what "you" want.
AnswerID: 17197

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 11:06

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 11:06
The only time I notice the snorkel noise on mine is when the windows are open, then its loud.... but on hwy trips that shouldnt matter.

for the Zaust, yea a resonator would work, a Zaust place would give best options on muffler or resonator...

Removing precleaner, GOOD MOVE! piped it from the guard into the airbox makes HEAPS of difference to air flow..

The pipe out of the bottom of the Precleaner when you look at it is only 1inchx3inch sort of square, not 3in round like the piping!!! The precleaner boxes are also prone to vibrating and cracking, you can only see when you remove them(10 min job off and back on).... Worth checking anyway.
AnswerID: 17210

Sponsored Links