Visually friendly forum

Submitted: Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 20:54
ThreadID: 43084 Views:2834 Replies:13 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Without being rude, and not knocking this forum because it has sensational content and very wise members, but is someone on the case for making it a bit more visually friendly...... possibly categorised in topics and better search facilities.

sorry if this has already been raised or put in the too hard basket for some reason, but it would be great to see a face lift.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kiwicol - Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 21:08

Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 21:08
i think it works fine. Col
AnswerID: 226451

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 21:10

Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 21:10
Categorised topics has been discussed a few times, and the owners, and the majority of posters responding, have chosen to go with the present single forum. David is making constant renovations and improvements to the forum, he does take on board what members say, and the search is better than some other forums (although it does not seem to be as effective as it used to be - but maybe i am missing something in its use). I'm sure if you have good ideas, and email them direct to the David and team, they will be considered for the future.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 226452

Reply By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 21:18

Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 21:18
I find the term "Wise member" to be most offensive and I don't even live near Campbell town or even in a hole area....

Grrr!!!
AnswerID: 226456

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 04:32

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 04:32
Eh?
(btw, as an update on the Faik Cob, it's looking more betterer the more I play with it. Change branches to charcoal, then adjust heat as required.)
Signed, "Poodle posting Rodeo driver". [an damn proud of it].
FollowupID: 487330

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 14:04

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 14:04
Crazy I agree I thought he was talking about Lucy and nearly cut my hand on a broken bottle that I dropped in sheer horror
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 487385

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 21:33

Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 21:33
We like it just the way it is thanks . One look and you can see all the new posts .
AnswerID: 226459

Follow Up By: RosscoH - Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 21:44

Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 21:44
I agree, the best forum to read, change it to like the others and you have lost me.
FollowupID: 487280

Follow Up By: madfisher - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 18:14

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 18:14
Ditto for me to, best by far
but that might be because of the characters that make this forum
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 487416

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 21:52

Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 21:52
Ihave been on a lot of other sites with forums and Ithink David and crew have produced as good as I have seen---I have no complaints.
AnswerID: 226468

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 22:05

Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 22:05
And it he keeps on making it better - added features over the past 12 months or so including thread watch and many other little features, banner adverts of trader features, size and fit to screen (accommodating those using the old 600 x 800 format). The colour even changed a few weeks back. Also so many other useful areas such as treks, fuel prices, road conditions and camping tips. Michelle's diaries are worth reading too - we got a lot from them before our trips across the Nullabor and to Tasmania. Top forum - it is my favourite (a bit part thanks to the company here).
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 487290

Reply By: Sads - Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 22:17

Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 22:17
what were the arguments against categories?

ie. 12 volt accessories/electrics, 4WD Vehicles/motors, 4WD accessories, DIY/home mods, Destinations, GPS & Navigation, Camp kitchen, current affair/general discussion ..................
I am sure people could come up with more suitable/refined categories than me.

not trying to annoy anyone with change, but just putting the argument out there. (i can sense the abuse already)

My biggest argument for would be saving double ups on postings, and great for scrolling old posts when you can't monitor them everyday like some. I could think of a few more benefits too, but happy to hear arguments against.

I don't know if many of you participate in other forums, but most are easy to monitor new posts with categories/ sub categories. if that is what you like.

The turnover of posts on the site is huge in a 10 minute period.
I know the transition would be tough, but i imagine member rates are growing exponentially and one day something will have to be done.

and i actually find google more friendly for searching the site than the sites search engine. i just type in "exploroz" and key words i am searching.

i sound like i am complaining but i am not. Along with other things i do rate the way the current search function highlights your search words.

PS I will still love this site if it stays the same, and reckon the admin/moderators are doing a super job. i hate people like me.
AnswerID: 226478

Follow Up By: Footloose - Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 22:26

Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 22:26
Suggestions are fine, they make us keep thinking rather than just accepting .
In this case, it seems that many here are happy with the way things are.
It's a brave man that tries to change that :))
Keep thinking and suggesting. Things don't get better by themselves.
FollowupID: 487294

Follow Up By: disco1942 - Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 23:55

Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 23:55
Have a look at Site Link - note the number of posts in the wrong category (there are similar ones on fridges currently going in bot General & CaravanMods.) "General" is supposed to be for discussions on vehicles of all types and any general chit chat in "Fireside Chat" but this is rarely used - most go straight to General and just post away.

If this forum gets categorised who are going to be the "category police?" The same thing will go on here.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 487317

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 07:09

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 07:09
PeterD,

I tend to agree with you regarding the misposting problem evident in the other forums. Probably means more work for the Moderators. I'm sure they'd be happy about that :))))))))))))))
FollowupID: 487331

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 11:19

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 11:19
One of the strongest arguments, for me anyway, against categorising posts is that I often come on here just to browse and see what poeple are up to.

I have just read a post about long range tanks, not because I am looking for one but because I saw it and thought I wonder what they are talking about.

I mostly respond to posts about travel destinations and routes. I would rarely go looking for information on places that I have been but often offer adivce on such. While most of the advice I give is probably not worth reading those seeking this information would probably not get it if posts were categorised. I am sure others work in a similar way and that means I would miss out on there advice too.

My 2c
Duncs
FollowupID: 487363

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 14:55

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 14:55
Agree Duncs. I don't look for a particular topic. Happy with the variety and tend to learn a lot more that way.
FollowupID: 487390

Follow Up By: Bware (Tweed Valley) - Sunday, Mar 11, 2007 at 02:46

Sunday, Mar 11, 2007 at 02:46
Hi Sads,

You need to synthesize all these replies and follow-ups to get the big picture; the format of this site is what makes it what it is.

"Not trying to annoy anyone with change" - Look at it this way, Exploroz IS the change; the change away from the normal format. I think Royce's reply further down the page says it well.

In regards to double-ups on postings; yep, this happens, but if it's within a day or two, someone usually points it out in the nicest possible way ;-)))). A week or more and you may get more information from someone who has been away. These dynamics are part of the fun of frequenting this site.

And fun it is; because we're not all divided up into separate categories....
FollowupID: 487498

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 23:03

Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 23:03
This website has come along way since its inception & is improving every day. When you consider the number of hits it gets on a daly basis & the number of forum comments in the archives I reckon David has done a splendid job in getting it this far considering he has a lot of other IT jobs going as well. By all means, keep the suggestions coming. You can only improve by listenening to advise & sometimes adhearing to it.
AnswerID: 226492

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 23:20

Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 23:20
Once when i suggested groups, most members who responded preferred it how it is, however David developed the post watch shortly after that, for flagging a few posts for reference. Great idea, and would be better still if we could flag more posts - only can do a small number.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 226495

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 11:09

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 11:09
Sads,

IMO the uniqueness of this forum is what sets it apart from all others.

Maybe I'm biased because I am familiar with the way it works, but I wouldn't want to see it changed appreciably.

David seems to always be working on new additions and enhancements, but the operational format of the forum hasn't changed much since I have been a regular.

Like it better than any others I have seen.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 226535

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Nullagine) - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 11:12

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 11:12
Like it the way it is...... except the search. the old one worked well you could choose btween recent or archived or both, poster etc. i have not successfully been able to find anything i have looked for with the new search
AnswerID: 226536

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 12:38

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 12:38
I agree Davoe - I am not finding the search as successful as before - we have more options on how to search, with exact and like etc, but i can't be doing it right. Thread watch helps, but i have to keep chucking some old posts that would be a good reference to make room for more. I should be making a list of post numbers somewhere - but no doubt I'd loose that too!

Enjoy the sun while it shines.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 487374

Follow Up By: Dave198 - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 19:11

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 19:11
I must admit that I have had trouble searching for a few different things lately.

I seemed to get a lot of posts that were irrelevemt to my search topic.

I thought that I still must have a bit to learn to search this site properly.

Glad it isn't just me.

I will take my dunces cap off sand put it back in the corner.

Apart from that I reckon it's a top site.

Just anotherfault with the site though, as soon as you log on, the clock starts marching at double time.

Dave
FollowupID: 487427

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 11:24

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 11:24
If it ain't broke - don't try to fix it. It is okay as it is. If you want specific topics do a search.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 226538

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 14:05

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 14:05
Familiarity probably contributes are fair bit of comfort for we regulars - and I think newcomers should hand around for awhile - first impressions are not much use - I'm sure I could get used to some of those other forums, even though their rationale for topic, post and response display seems really strange and tiresome. Its a great site - I've learned a lot here and made a few contributions - as for the layout and content .... I find it easy to use - and I reckon David's rate of facelifting is about right.

AnswerID: 226559

Reply By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Mar 11, 2007 at 00:29

Sunday, Mar 11, 2007 at 00:29
You're not being rude. Advice is always worth hearing. Sadly, you haven't visited for long enough. This IS THE BEST SET OUT FORUM YOU WILL FIND... before long you realize that a quick scroll down the recent entries and you can find whatever you want and whoever you want. ... It's not about topics. It's a real community, chatting and sharing. No changes needed.... I promise... stay a while, get used to it and then go back and try other formats. They will annoy the heck out of you.
AnswerID: 226675

Sponsored Links