wanting to buy a <span class="highlight">gps</span>

Submitted: Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 23:32
ThreadID: 43091 Views:2271 Replies:8 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I am heading to the pilbara and just wondering what type of gps and programme for one would suit this area if any one can help it would be greatly appreciated ta Kaz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pprass - Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 23:39

Friday, Mar 09, 2007 at 23:39
Kaz - how much do you want to spend? Do you have any particular brand preference?

I use Magellan - eXplorist 600 & 500, which are colour mapping capable GPSr's. When going through the deserts, I load the Hema Great Desert Maps onto the GPS. This is a specific Magellan product which can only be loaded onto Magelan GPSr's.
Peter
AnswerID: 226498

Reply By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 07:24

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 07:24
Kazz44

I use Garmins and have a good run with them , at the moment I have a Nuvi 660 and a Quest.The Nuvi 660 is a good one if you add Points of Interest , as in Caravan Parks and many other subjects, as well as Tracks4Australia Topo maps, you will all this info on my Website
members.westnet.com.au/dtilley/maps.htm

www.ja-gps.com.au/garmin_quest_1.html

www.ja-gps.com.au/garmin_nuvi660.aspx
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 226509

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 08:14

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 08:14
I realise it has a little less memory and you would have to load Australian maps into it but A$500 difference...?!!!

www.ja-gps.com.au/garmin_quest_1.html

Site Link

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 487342

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 19:32

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 19:32
Mike
Sometimes you people truly amaze me, Are you telling me that you would rather buy a unit from USA on Ebay , Risk loosing your money and or not get the item , and or it's been damaged, A unit that will have all points , ie car repair, Govt buildings and 1000s of others with American sites and also with an American Base Map, and won't have any warranty ,C'Mon ....gimme a break , show some intelligence,

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 487433

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 19:37

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 19:37
Be amazed Doug; 'cause the answer is yes.

Done it before - saved thousands of dollars and never had a problem.

>show some intelligence

Ah... I do me best mate :)

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 487437

Follow Up By: Mad Dog - Vic - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 20:21

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 20:21
yep I've purchased electronic gear from the states without a problem and never a breakdown. Electronics is very reliable these days, I'm willing to take the gamble. It can takes months to get the gear repaired anyway because no one in Oz understands it and there are no parts. Would you like to extend the warranty for another $50 sir, no way babe I'm lucky Ray :)
FollowupID: 487445

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 21:18

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 21:18
Mike
So you might buy stuff from overseas and get away with it, all good and well , right now we are talking GPS, not radio or antenna , you still seem to miss the point I made [ A unit that will have all points , ie car repair, Govt buildings and 1000s of others with American sites and also with an American Base Map ] Why would you want that, I have used the Car Repairer section in Atherton to find a mechanic , it had the phone number in the GPS , called him up , made the booking from Tolga , got the job done,That is just one of many benifits of having the Australian unit, Maybe you don't use that provision , I don't know but a US or UK unit for me would be useless...totally
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 487460

Follow Up By: Mad Dog - Vic - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 21:48

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 21:48
I can give you thousands of ph # for no charge Doug, all free info in this country.
FollowupID: 487466

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 21:50

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 21:50
MAD DOG

........ WELL NAMED
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 487468

Follow Up By: Mad Dog - Vic - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 21:53

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 21:53
lol, you have me dumfounded Doug, is there some problem
FollowupID: 487469

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 22:58

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 22:58
Mad Dog
The point I am trying to get over to you is why on earth would you want to own a GPS full of American points of interest , but I guess you got some piece of crap that has no points so you have no idea what I'm typing about,
As Dr Pimm would say "Oh what's the use"
Good Morning Boys....ding...ding...ding.....................
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 487485

Follow Up By: Mad Dog - Vic - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 23:35

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 23:35
oh ding ding ding you need a gps to locate the supermarket do you and then the taxi phone number is another problem, sheesh doug you dissapoint me how sad, enouigh said
FollowupID: 487488

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 08:26

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 08:26
Kaz,

Just about any 4wd or boating shop should have a display of GPS. I would say that all the GPS that are out know are very good and have come a long way since they first come out.

They certainly have come down in size. I remember the first one that I saw, it was in a brief case and took 5 min to set up and another 10 min to lock onto the satellites.

They all have good moving maps in them and are getting easy to use. Personally I would avoid using a laptop to run the maps as the laptop takes up a lot of room in the cabin of the vehicle and can also be affected by dust and vibration.

Garmin or the Magellan range would have to be the most popular units used by outback travellers today and are both very good.

Wayne
AnswerID: 226513

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 10:10

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 10:10
Kaz

Good question.

I would just like to point out that I have come across a lot of people when out and about who ste the following:

I've got a GPS and its the 'best you can get' however I have no idea how to work it or what all the button things do.

So the first thing you have to consider is - do you know how to operate a GPS for your purposes which usually are a individual preferance.

If yes - find a retailer where you can try out different brands and models and identify the one that suits your purposes. It is important not to be 'blinded by science, colour scheme, weight or size here. Its the one that suits your needs.

Then - fit the budget or make it stretch. (LOL)

Note: If you aren't to sure how to work the sucker, then they are or become an expensive lump in the glove box.

If you have a laptop then a GPS mouse (cable, blue tooth etc ) coupled with Oziexplorer may suit you better. Just a thought.

Regards

Ken Robinson

AnswerID: 226523

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 10:59

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 10:59
Kazz44

It is a matter of your personal needs. When I was looking I narrowed my final choice to the Garmin Quest or a PDA GPS. In the end I went with the PDA GPS.

Hema have a good map of the mid west of WA. Also Hema Desert Maps. Natmap is another essential map to have.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 226530

Reply By: Tony Middleditch - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 11:04

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 11:04
Hi Kazz
Try obtaining a book called GPS Vehicle Navigation in Australia by Robert Pepper
www.gpsvehiclenavigation.com
A new edition is said to be out early this year.
I use an older garmin GPS11+ with a remote antenna and sometimes connect it up to the laptop. I use Oziexplorer to set up way points and routes etc. This requires the use of third party maps.
I also use a PDA with a windscreen mount that combines a compact flash GPS and power connector. This is used with Ozie CE as a moving map. Thus far it has proved to be excellent. I have however modified the windscreen suction mount.
I have found that moving map GPS units which can't run third party maps to be of limited use when off the main roads, tracks.
Maps such as those from "Rooftop", Hema, Vic deserts plus the Natmap raster are very good.
Note, running two GPS units can put you in two different places at the same time!!
Hope that this helps, Tony
AnswerID: 226532

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 14:03

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 14:03
You can get the book from the EO shop, take a look here. The book is currently being reprinted and you can get your name on one when they hit the shelves by emailing and asking the delightful Jackie here mailto:jackie@exploroz.com
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 487383

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 11:27

Saturday, Mar 10, 2007 at 11:27
Kazz,

As others have said, the choice will largely depend on what uses you wish to obtain from GPS technology.

Stand-alone use in and out of the vehicle?
Moving map capability?

Have a look at the article unders Topics - Navigation selectable from the folders across the top of the screen. This will give you a starting point.

We would all kind of recommend to you, the product we use ourselves.
Both the Magellan and Garmin products have "proprietary" solution specific to their own brand and both are probably comparable to each other.

A PDA, or Laptop solution with a GPS receiver may give more flexibility if you wish to end up with both a moving map capability and a "turn-by-turn" voice navigation facility in the metropolitan areas.

After you get some ideas, then feel free to ask for specifics. You will be inundated by well meaning folks with input based on their own experience and experimentation.

Good luck in your quest!
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 226540

Reply By: Kazz44 - Sunday, Mar 11, 2007 at 00:32

Sunday, Mar 11, 2007 at 00:32
Thanks Guys , you have been a great help, and with ebay I don,t use it any way thanks. I am still not sure which way to go price is no concern and I have never used a gps before, but I have plenty of time to learn before we leave, i will check out all your recomendations. Thanks again Kazz
AnswerID: 226676

Sponsored Links