what do i buy

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 17:30
ThreadID: 4316 Views:1424 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on my situation i want to buy my first 4wd i have a budget of $15000 and want it for camping day to day and a bit of off road use i was told the patrol GQ was a goodn and have been looking at the hiluxs can anyone suggest anything else or give a bit of info on the two above. CHEERS COREY
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 18:32

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 18:32
Hi Corey
GQ the way to go diesel not petrol (but i'm biased) . Motor bullet proof should be able to get one in your budget . check out trading post .com.au or drive .com.au to see what you can get for your dollars.
lol & see you in the bushWish i was still here / Gulf in July
AnswerID: 17241

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 19:23

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 19:23
Correct me if i am wrong but get the 4.2litre because the gearboxes are smaller in the 3 litres.._____________________________________________

Countin the days till July 5th. *Cape York Trip*

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 22:49

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 22:49
Well GQ Petrols are eXtREMEly Thirsty..

Go Diesel, unless your rich.. GQ are very Bullet Proof.. $15k should get you a good one too

Luxs are also a good thing, steer clear of the 2.8 diesel gutless as they come. Thats according to mate that just did a V6 Comm conversion! $15000 WILL get you somethign good, maybe not the latest, but good.

Search the archives for what to look out for, its been done before.. EG rusty rear windows on GQ etc.
AnswerID: 17256

Reply By: colin - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 23:34

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 23:34
GQ 4.2 diesal better if turboed good honest reliable vehicle and reasonably priced. Hilux are good vehicles under powered and very harsh to ride in, but will go any where.Col
AnswerID: 17263

Reply By: tristjo - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 15:16

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 15:16
I agree with the others, a GQ is the way to go. My brother has a GQ Patrol with the RB30 petrol motor. It's a little underpowered, but returns suprisingly reasonable fuel figures, ie: around 17ltrs in pure around town, 15ltrs highway and light offroad, and he has got it to around 11ltrs on the highway, which i reckon is pretty reasonable. Offroad it chews a bit though, because of the lack of low down grunt, thus needing alot of revs to counteract, but it still gets him everywhere. This motor loves to rev, and really has some balls when you get her over 4500rpm, almost like a turbo kicking in, but at that stage, fuel doesn't last long. Good luck with your purchase, but if you buy a Nissan, you won't need it!

GO THE DATTO!!!!!
Tristjo
AnswerID: 17309

Reply By: bruce.h - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 17:37

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 17:37
Corey
i have a hilux 75 serius trayback landcriuser & gq patrol wagon all three are top vehicleshilux was good when it was me & the occasional girl freind camped in the back many times even spent a whole 5 weeks living in & out if it when got married moved onto the 75 ,its amazing how a wedding ring forces a woman to want more space & luxeries but by far for 2 people it was the best car i have had for camping heeps of room to slepp in eat cook & live out of with out having to un pack then comes kids & all hell breaks loose gone are the 2 seater options gone are personal luxeries in is the back seat cot nappies ect out of the frdge goes the beer in goes baby formular & food,but allthre have been excelent cars but if its your first 4x4 & its just 2 of you i highly rcomend a tray back ute either landcruiser or nissan diesel is better lot more reliable but a dambed side more expensive to repair when it does go wrong, down side of a ute is that unless you get aduel cab you cant take freind sout with you hope this helps
Regarsd bruce
AnswerID: 17315

Reply By: corey - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 18:28

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 18:28
well it seems the GQ diesel might be the answer to my question the more people i ask the more im convinced. one more question befor i flip through the trading post and buy the first one i see can any one fill me in on some of the more common problems i may need to look out for in the patrol GQ any ideas would be greatly appreciated and thanks for all the previous advice on this subject CHEERS again COREY.
AnswerID: 17396

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 07:53

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 07:53
try same question as another posting Corey as many may have moved on from this thread and may not revisit.
FollowupID: 10938

Sponsored Links