Cooper tyres

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 20:37
ThreadID: 4319 Views:1966 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I am thinking of replacing the existing tyres on my Hilux SR5 (255/70/r15) with a set of Coopers Discoverey AT (265/70/r15). Any advice would be appreciated .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 21:32

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 21:32
Hi peter,

We're running Cooper AT Discoverers on our GU (265/75/R16) and are very happy with them. Time spent on/off road is about 85/15 so the tread pattern is aggressive enough without being too much so. We have found performance on and off the road very good, smooth and very little road noise. We're running about 40psi on road and between 32-35 off road when on dirt/gravel.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &

Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 17250

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 10:11

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 10:11
Melissa, I like the new rig photo. Where was it taken?Be good, or be quick.

Rohan
FollowupID: 10795

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 15:28

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 15:28
Hi Rohan,

Pic taken at a place called Wilbinga between Yanchep and Moore River. Popular location just north of Perth. Good 4WD, bush camping and fishing. I've just uploaded a picture of our camp into My Rigs, Photo #2 if you want to have a look. Million dollar campsite...beautiful!

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &

Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 10824

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 22:52

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 22:52
Check the archives, there's been discussion on this before.
4X4 Monthly mag did a bit on this a few months back. I think the Coops and BFG both rated pretty much at the top out of 15? brands.
Main differences across all tyres depended on where you wanted to use them, dirt, tar sand etc.
Check the back issues of 4X4, it's not a bad article.Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 17257

Reply By: colin - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 23:26

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2003 at 23:26
Hi Pete, run coopers on my GQ and did a 13000k trip through the desert with 7 other vehicles all towing camper trailers the coopers where the pick of the tyres from all the other vehicles, i had no punctures and at the end of the trip the tread looked like they had never been off the bitumen compared to alll the other brands. I run mine at 32 psi on and of the tar fully loaded and unloaded and have had no adverse wear or pnctures, yhey also give a soft ride and dont make to much noise .Col
AnswerID: 17262

Follow Up By: Member - DickyBeach - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 03:18

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 03:18
Colin,
As there are half a dozen different Cooper tyres would you please advise which pattern you used?
With thanks,
DickyBeach
FollowupID: 10789

Follow Up By: colin - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 12:16

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 12:16
Hi Dicky, am running the all terrain s/t. I bought mine in brissy and paid $219, but a mate has just fitted the same and paid $209. Col
FollowupID: 10810

Reply By: Member - Sam - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 09:49

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 09:49
Peter, I have been running a set of Cooper ST's on my Hilux for the past year and a bit and have been extremely impressed with their performance, both on and off road. Went for a run around Innaminka, Flinders last year and not one puncture. I can't speak highly enough of them.
AnswerID: 17273

Reply By: relax (Fraser Coast QLD) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 10:15

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 10:15
Peter
You've asked the question I have meaning to ask this forum for some time now. In the next 10 to 15000 km, I'll be needing to replace the Goodrich HT (Factory supplied) tyres on my GU patrol. I read the article in the 4wd monthly and the Coopers come up trumps, but they only tested the STs(road handling only got 2 stars) not the AT that I thought might suit my needs. Another tyre that was right up there was the Pro-Comp all terrian, so now I'm confused. A visit to my tyre dealer to ask about the Cooper Ats had the salesperson trying to sell me the ST (Sure Trac) tyres saying they were manufactured for Aussie conditions and etc etc etc. At the end of the day, I'm not sure I need such an agressive tread patten as they will probably spend 75% of their lifes on the black top and so road noise will need to be minimal. When I do travel off road, I would like a tyre that will perform well especially in the sand (Fraser Island and Rainbow Beach are less than a hour away from my place) as well as the bush tracks.
So I to welcome any info, any of you out there have on these brands of tyres and how you find them. Strangely enough, it appears that most 4wders up here all seem to like the BFG A/Ts but I'm not keen on them because of road noise.
Relax.
AnswerID: 17278

Follow Up By: Member - Sam - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 11:51

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 11:51
Relax, although the more agressive tread pattern on the ST's does give off some noise, I was surprised at how little extra noise was generated compared to the Firestone slicks (that were on the Hilux when i purhased) i was running before i changed over. Mind you, tyre noise is almost nullified by the diesel engine.
FollowupID: 10808

Follow Up By: Member - diamond(bendigo) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 18:45

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 18:45
we use our gq maybe 15% of road and the rest on road we fitted st/s.no problems yet done nearly 40000ks i wasnt to sure about the st/s because of the aggresive pattern but the guys assured me they not real noisy if they were he would swap with h/t i pulled nearly new duellers of cor they were not a predictable tyre to drive on seemed to be a little floaty ive been in tyre buisness 15odd years so did a bit of research on coopers asking customers about them and now i wouldnt use anything elselooking foward to easter at jamieson
FollowupID: 10830

Follow Up By: colin - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 22:55

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 22:55
Hi Relax, have moved north from Brissy, and did most of my 4wding on the beach while there i was running Bridgestone desert duellers which i got over 120,000 ks from and couldnt be happier with, they were great in the sand and ran well on the black stuff, i also ran them on my camper for a desert trip with no probs, i have gone to cooper A/T for the terrain in FNQ, but still running the same bridgys on the camper. If living in brissy would go the Bridgys again. The only criteria is make sure they are aussy made and not jap, as all the jap Bridgys on the desert trip punctured and they were all new tyres, only months old, small sliver of stone through the tread and blew the inner case right out beyond repair. My point of veiw is doesnt matter what the tread pattern is, if its not made in Aussy or Usa its crap and will not go the hard yards. Col
FollowupID: 10871

Follow Up By: Member - diamond(bendigo) - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 20:36

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 20:36
hi colin not sure what the roads are like in fnq but in in central vic.i work for bridgestone tyre dealer and would disagree with aussies making better tyres usa made yes but australia cant make a tyre sorry and it wont be to long before there is none made here.japaneese bstone used to give good milage but not now and aussie ones have never really been good. i know im going to cop i got 100000ks from mine but you wont get it now.ive seen hilux with jap made duellers from new do 120000ks replaced with same tyre got 40000.thing is new cars always get A grade tyres.with the hope when they wear out you will bye them again.never works.i fitted brand new duellers and pulled them of after 12000ks they come out with 12 mm tread depth and had worn 4 mm off.doing a 30000ks rotation in the morning ill let you know how many mm left remembering coopers start out with 15 mm.looking foward to easter at jamieson
FollowupID: 10919

Follow Up By: colin - Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 13:28

Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 13:28
Hi Diamond, i put the aussy and american made tyre on the same par its not milage that i look at its weather a certain tyre can handle our out back conditions, and from experince the jap made tyre cant handle it ie small puncture which completly explodes the inside of the case beyond repair. Found this out on a central QLD desert trip with 7 vehicles all with campers and the only tyres which didnt puncture where the coopers and the aussy made bridgstone. I hope bridgestone keep making tyres in oz as i feel they up there with the best .Cheers Col
FollowupID: 10978

Reply By: Trentski - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 11:08

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 11:08
Peter,
I am also looking at changing the dueler HT on my hilux with something that actually grips on wet bitumen. How has your research gone with the Cooper AT?

Does anyone know how the AT Duelers compare? wet weather grip and road noise being my two main concerns.

I believe it is hard to find a 15 inch tyre with the 112 load rating that the OME tyres have.

Trentski
AnswerID: 17569

Follow Up By: Peter A - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 15:25

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 15:25
Trentski

First I would like to thank everybody for their advice regarding the Cooper tyres. I decided to go with the Cooper A/T 265/70/15 after a lot of positive feedback. Ive only had them for 4 days and are very happy with the low noise level, probably a little help from the diesel engine. As for grip in the wet, I'm still waiting for rain. Trentski Im not sure what load rating the Coopers have but Im sure the dealers can help.

Peter
FollowupID: 11044

Reply By: Trentski - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 16:04

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 16:04
Peter

Did you trade in your bridgestones? What sort of deal did you get on the coopers?

I have the V6 hilux and it is whisper quiet after spending a few years in the diesel versions and I am loving being able to hear myself think (doesn't happen often so I like to keep a watch out for it).

You can email at trentski23@yahoo.com if you don't want the riff raff on this site knowing the finer details, I can keep a secret.

the AT 265/70/15 are the only ones in the cooper range that will fit (although they are 10 mm wider) and have a 112 load rating from what I can tell.

Trentski
AnswerID: 17591

Sponsored Links