<span class="highlight">Globalstar</span> Satelite Phone Coverage

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 at 10:32
ThreadID: 43191 Views:3051 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings all,
In May 2006 we purchased a Glabalstar dual mode satellite/CDMA phone, primarily for the lifesaving ability of the satellite coverage.

Satellite coverage was fine up until about July 2006. Since then it has been very poor. Recently, on a beach, with a full hemisphere of sky visible, there was no satellite coverage for an hour. When coverage became available it lasted for about 12 minutes, then nothing.

Would be interested in hearing the experience of others with their Globalstar sat phone coverage.

We have been offered $50 rebate for the eight months of sub-standard coverage. Has anybody else managed to get anthing out of Globalstar as compensation for a srevice they are not providing?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 at 11:23

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 at 11:23
Gday Turbo Troopie

I haven't hit them up for a subsity yet......I still have reasonable coveage (testing at home), but will give it a better test when I go fishing on Thursday....

I will be writing to them soon, suggesting that the $35.00 per month access fee should be scrapped until the access is available. I'm still not sure what they will do when the CDMA switch gets turned off - they will then not be providing the service that they promised.

Maybe the telecomunications ombudsman (?) should step in here, but they probably have as much clout as the fair trading mob!

I'll reply thursday.....maybe if we get a group together and jump up and down a lot we may get somewhere.........LOL......well sort of......sarcastically

Cheers Andrew
AnswerID: 227105

Reply By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 at 11:34

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 at 11:34
I have got G* to refund everything for 6 months and put things on hold at no charge until they fix the problems ... I might need to ask for my money back on the dud phone though.

You might also look at posts 40888 42886 and 42768 ...

Basically it is not working at all the way it is promised and the way it should. I note that G* don't seem to be advertising here anymore which seems sensible on their part, and probably ExplorOz's too.

Put the pressure on them hard. Bargain really hard. They don't have a leg to stand on legally or morally.

Cheers
Andrew.
AnswerID: 227106

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 at 13:19

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 at 13:19
Andrew their add is still here. It is moved throughout the site from what I can see.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 487935

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 at 11:47

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 at 11:47
As Andrew suggests, do an archive search on Global$hit and have a read heaps of info on here.

Your phone is very useful to chock your car with to stop it rolling away, as for making calls well good luck.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 227107

Reply By: Member -Signman - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 at 12:08

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 at 12:08
I reckon when 'Footloose' reads this- he'll give you his impression !!!
AnswerID: 227108

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 at 12:44

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 at 12:44
Naaah, nobody would want to read my rant. Besides, you guys are doing a good and truthful recap of their lack of *service* as a provider.
All I can say is that their office is on the Gold Coast......but so am I. But unlike them, I know what the words "truth" and "service" actually mean.
FollowupID: 487922

Reply By: CLC50 - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 at 12:14

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 at 12:14
Letter I sent To Global Star 10 days ago Still waiting for a Reply

Colin Cleary
PO Box 873
Buddina.
Queensland.
Phone No. 0429172156
Global Star Australia Pty Ltd
Locked Bag 100.
Southport.
Queensland.4215
Attention
Mr. Peter Bolger
Managing Director,

Dear Sir.
I am in receipt of your Letter Dated 19 February,2007.
Please Cancel my Contract as your phone service is unsatisfactory & cancel all bills outstanding as well as monies I Paid to purchase phone & return monies owed to government as they subsides this purchase.
As I purchased this Phone System to Communicate with my home bass in remote Areas & it does not work, as I am 70 years old & travel in remote areas I need a service which works for business & health reasons. Including Satellite & CDMA (CDMA has external Ariel on vehicle). If you get the service up & running right I will consider returning
When I purchased the Phone your Company advised me I would get 100% coverage Satellite & service on CDMA for a least 4 Years.
The Problems I have.
1. Last weekend on Tewantan Beach 40Klm from the nearest Phone, right on the water front Camping, I had to stand in the sea to get some communication on CDMA only to have it drop out after a very limit conversation, Switch to Satellite & the same thing happen, some times taking 30min to find service & only to drop out in 10 to 30seconds, this continued for the whole time there. Sometimes having to make 3 or 4 calls to get answers & pass on messages I was still alive & Ok.
2. I had the same problem in the Simpson Desert & the sky was clear day & night all stars no cloud. The Satellite just dropped out when it felt like it. I broke down in the desert 390 Klms (Bad Fuel ) from the nearest to Town & I spent a lot of time contacting Birdsville & the RACQ to get me out of there & this put my Life in danger as it was very hot, I was pick up by others & left vehicle in desert.
3. Same problem to the top of Queensland the Cape
4. Same in Ayres Rock Area once out of town Centre
5. Same in Darwin Area once out of town Centre
6. Same in Alice Springs Area once out of town Centre
7. Same in Bingara NSW area.
8. Same in Dubbo NSW area & many other areas
9. When the office or wife phones me the answer they get this is not a listed number, & this is very important as she is the same age as my self & needs to contact me. Can’t even leave a message.
10. Also please note I am a member of Explore OZ Member 2482 & I read there forum regally & they have 367,943 member ready last month, Last week 90,634. There Member have plenty to say about Global Star & I also posted your letter in reference to the letter sent to me, I also a member of Caloundra 4WD Club, Member of 4WD Monthly News Letter, & have my own Forum clc.iforumer.com/index...mforum=clc
11. Please give this letter your urgent responds.
Regards

Colin Cleary
AnswerID: 227109

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 at 12:53

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 at 12:53
Good luck :)
FollowupID: 487926

Reply By: CLC50 - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 at 13:15

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 at 13:15
I think I need a B****dy lot of luck ,but I will get together a class action against them ,if the responds is not good enough.There is a lot of people complaining
AnswerID: 227117

Sponsored Links