GU RD2.8T Engine Noise

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 00:58
ThreadID: 4325 Views:1696 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have just had my 4WD into Nissan dealer for 100,000 km service with timing belt and driving belts changed, together with p/steering fluid changed.

Since getting it back there is a very annoying squeal/ sqeak at and just above idle, most notable with radio off and windows up. Noise goes away by ~ 900 rpm. Needless to say have been back to the dealer who has not found anything and been unhelpful really in finding the fault (they seem to accept that noises happen). This in itself is annoying as everything was perfect before the service. I have re-checked all drive belt tensions (OK). I was wondering if it may be timing belt tension (unsure if this engine uses an auto tensioner) or perhaps p/steering filter blocked (but that should have been changed).

Has anyone experienced similar symptoms? Any advice greatly appreciated as the noise is one of those that gets right under the skin.

Regards, Hugh
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willem- Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 10:20

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 10:20
Sometimes when the belts are changed the replacement ones emit a squeaking noise. Pour water on the belt whilst the engine is idling to find out if that is the cause. Maybe the belts just need better seating and running in. It may also be that the new belts are from a different manufacturer. Just some thoughts.Cheers, Willem

Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 17280

Reply By: GUPatrol - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 10:48

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 10:48
Hugh,

Get a second opinion. If they changed the Power steering fluid and they didn't know how to do it, you are in for trouble...
When power steering fluid is changed, you need to make sure it is bled properly of any air...
If you take it to get a second opinion they will be able to tell you what the noise is, if it is the power steering, then it is likelly to have air in it or they run it without enough oil while doing it and they damaged it, they get damaged quickly.... (I hope that is not the case with yours).
Drive belts are usually noisy as they dry up, new ones should be quiet but do the test as previously stated with a pray of water to determine the exact cause.
Will
AnswerID: 17285

Reply By: Joe - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 10:49

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 10:49
I had a similar problem on my Pajero. Belts changed and then a sqeak! It turned out to be one of the tensioner pullies had a bearing that was failing.

The explanation was that the new belt put much more side strain on the tensioner (the old one must have been VERY loose) and the failing bearing was then shown up.

Good luck.

Joe

AnswerID: 17286

Reply By: Hugh - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 01:05

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 01:05
Thanks everyone for your advice. Some guys at work suspect the p/steering also, so I'll be getting a second opinion on that.

Regards,
Hugh
AnswerID: 17350

Sponsored Links