TomTom <span class="highlight">GPS</span>

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 16:44
ThreadID: 43291 Views:2582 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I recently bought a tomtom one which is a great unit. About to go bush and planning my trip on the laptop to send to points to the gps. If off road the gps will not accept them. Can I get a map via oziexplorer to upload and use to better effect in tom tom one? Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 17:43

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 17:43
If the TomTom One doesn't use Windows Mobile operating system OziExplorer will not run on it.

Maybe you could load NatMap series of digital maps, or Hema Desert Tracks to be used by TomTom, but you wold need to reference the TomTom Web site to see if it can be done.

The more common solution is a PDA which can run both Voice turn-by-turn software and OziExplorer/NatMap Premium when you are away from the built-up areas.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 227678

Follow Up By: acumming - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 20:16

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 20:16
Sand Man,
Thanks and that was what I was afraid of. I do have a i-mate pda so perhaps there is a solution using that with software and an GPS receiver. Any suggestions?
FollowupID: 488451

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 20:41

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 20:41
Yes, the iMate runs Windows Mobile operating system and therefore you can run OziExplorer CE on it. Include the 250k maps from the NatMap Premium DVDs (usually stored on a CF card to save space).

You can download the software from the OziExplorer site and trial it before you buy.

You can then also install Navigator 6 (the same turn-by turn software that runs on TomTom) for city navigation if you want to.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 488462

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 19:15

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 19:15
Your TomTom One is a fantastic point to point navigator, using GPS technology but its not a GPS like other GPS's. You wont be able to set waypoints and if you venture offroad then it will forever be looking to get back onto a road. It wont accept any offroad type OziExplorer maps thats why it wont accept wapoints as its designed to go from where u are to an address.

you'll need a GPS (bluetooth or normal with NMEA output) and your laptop or a PDA for a more portable solution.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 227699

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 00:11

Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 00:11
acumming

No you cannot.

I have a PDA GPS that came with TomTom loaded. I have loaded ozi-ce and maps for off road use.

You cannot do that with a Tom Tom.

My suggestion would be to purchase a GPS mouse to use with the laptop and load oziexplorer and maps on the laptop.

You can then use moving map on the laptop for offroad and Tom Tom on the blacktop.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 227774

Sponsored Links