High Country with a camper Trailer??

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 21:14
ThreadID: 43302 Views:4729 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi There,

We're planning a jaunt in the Vic high country at Easter. Starting a Benambra, heading to Tom Groggin via Buenba Flat and Mt Pinnibar, then back to Benambra via Davies Plain track, McCarthys, Limestone Creek etc. The question is should we bring the Kimberley Kamper or tent it? Towing vehicle is a DiscovertyTD5
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member- Rox (WA) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 21:24

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 21:24
Patrick W, we did it in 2005 but I don't recomend it. We even had a boat on top. We were traveling round Oz. Unless you have a dif lock it would be too much trouble.

Billygoats, Butchers country Tks took us 2x as long as others but we had fun.
Rox
AnswerID: 227730

Reply By: Peter 2 - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 21:30

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 21:30
having towed a very light (less than 500kgs) camper round those tracks with a cruiser I'd be very wary, the slightest moisture and you'd be in trouble. Meeting anyone coming the other way could be problem in lots of spots too.
If travelling by yourself I'd say take the tent, with a group you'd have someone else to help.
AnswerID: 227734

Reply By: Teabag (Queanbeyan) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 21:41

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 21:41
Mate,

I have a Kimberley Kamper and I wouldn't take mine on those tracks (not because it couldn't handle it, but because of the very steep climbs), Mt Pinninbar etc will be be near on impossible with moisture. Plus the KK not being the lightest camper your poor vehicle would be working very, very hard on those hill/mountains...I would go the tent as the others have already stated...........
AnswerID: 227740

Reply By: Redback - Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 22:21

Thursday, Mar 15, 2007 at 22:21
Mate, Davies High Plain tr will be no prob, Mt Pinnabar also if coming from Corryong, i haven't done Mt Pinnabar from Tom Groggan so can't comment, but i don't see a problem if you know what your doing, have also done Tom Groggan Tk to Buenba Flat with no problems in fact i think it's pretty easy.

But as others have said differant story when wet.

I have a 2001 Disco 2 and offroad camper so i know, as long as it's dry you'll have no problems.

They are great tracks and Pinnabar is beautiful

Baz.
AnswerID: 227745

Follow Up By: Member - Patrick W (VIC) - Monday, Mar 19, 2007 at 17:27

Monday, Mar 19, 2007 at 17:27
Thanks Baz, and great photos. Cheers.
FollowupID: 489136

Reply By: pt_nomad - Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 05:50

Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 05:50
Hi Patrick,
I dont tow a trailer.
I would not recomend the climb from tom groggin to Pinnibar withg a trailer. I'd rekon it could be done but not without a fair ammount of pucker power and definatly have a winch on hand. going from Pinnibar to TG would be easier.
Getting from Benambra to TG can also be completed on the Tom groggin track and the Davies high plain track. I know the davies track is fine for towing and have assessed the Tom groggin track as similar. Using thse two tracks, you can do the trip as a loop without back tracking.
If your camped at Tom groggin, Mt. Pinnibar is a very enjoyable day trip.
At TG, it costs money to camp on the NSW side, the Vic side at dogmans hut is free. But its a smaller area and can fill up.
Other camping options are at Davies plain hut or Charlies creek.
I'd keep off the Pinibar track if it gets wet - >10-15mm.
The hema high country map is worth getting - acutally its a must have.
Enjoy
Paul.
AnswerID: 227780

Reply By: Crackles - Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 10:27

Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 10:27
Pat Camper trailers in the Vic High can be dangerous to tow in the wet & it's more than possible to rain if not snow on any day of the year up there. The steepness of the hills too may test your vehicle & your nerves. But don't let this stop you taking the Camper trailer as there some excellent spots to base camp out of from which you can do day loops. Saves setting up camp every night too.
Cheers Craig...........
AnswerID: 227812

Reply By: Member - Des - Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 14:35

Friday, Mar 16, 2007 at 14:35
The steepest bits on the circuit you describe are Tom Groggin to Mt Pinnibar and Davies Plain to McCarthys. I wouldn't fancy going down either with a trailer, even in the dry.

As others have said, if you take the trailer, base camp and day trips is the best idea. Best camp sites are Davies Hut, Charlies Ck, Limestone Ck or Tom Groggin on the NSW side. Personally I don't think much of the camping area at Tom Groggin on the Vic side. As for McCarthy's (The Poplars), it might have been appealing once, but since the 2003 fires it's not great.

We camped at Charlie's Ck and did trips to Davies Plain/Tom Groggin/Pinnibar/Anderson and McCarthys/Limestone/Native Dog. Mt Hope Rd and Buckwong track provide the quickest access in and out. There are lots of other possibilities too, like Mt Misery Trail, Native Cat, etc.

All of those sites will be very busy at Easter. If you want to avoid the crowds, one possibility is just past Buckwong Ck on Buckwong Tk. No facilities, but a lovely site, and would be an ideal base for going to all the places you mention as day trips. Buckwong Tk is easy going to there, so no problems with trailer.
AnswerID: 227850

Follow Up By: Member - Patrick W (VIC) - Monday, Mar 19, 2007 at 17:26

Monday, Mar 19, 2007 at 17:26
Thanks Des, and all others who have responded. Just finding some time to read all these responses.This site really is a fantastic source of information. Cheers.
FollowupID: 489135

Sponsored Links