Mercedes ML270CDi 4WD issues

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 17:00
ThreadID: 4332 Views:11750 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Appreciate any feedback from ML270CDi 4WD owners regarding two points :-

1) A noticeable lag in the engine picking up revs to accelerate from idle or slow speeds. I have nearly been cleaned up a couple of times whilst attempting to accelerate during overtaking / at intersections. These vehicles have "fly by wire" throttles and I suspect the problem is there but Meredes says it's "normal".

2) A noise sounding like a loose muffler baffle rattle during acceleration. Again, Mercedes says this is "normal"
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 23:11

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 23:11
John s .
Whould I be right in asumming this is your first turbo diesel? The effect you describe is called turbo lag and the rattling niose is the combustion in the cylinders. Driving a diesel requires a change of technique, once mastered becomes a real joy. If you want to experiance real turbo lag test drive a mazda bravo, you then will realise the270 is the finest motor money can buy. Eric.
AnswerID: 17342

Follow Up By: Tony - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 07:32

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 07:32
I don't know what turbo you have driven lately but my 4.2 is not lacking in the response department.
FollowupID: 10879

Follow Up By: John S - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 10:52

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 10:52
Hi Eric,

I have had a couple of other diesels before but this is the first turbo diesel I have owned. I am familiar with turbo lag but the problem I described is when you flatten the accelerator from idle or low speed there is a definite lag before engine revs increase at all. It's not a turbo lag issue.

Also, I am very familiar with diesel engine combustion rattle noise. The problem I referred to seems to be coming from the exhaust system. MB says it's from the turbo and amplified by the exhaust system and that it's "normal"

Thanks for you response though - appreciated
FollowupID: 10884

Reply By: colin - Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 23:19

Thursday, Apr 10, 2003 at 23:19
welcome to the world of turbo diesals. Col
AnswerID: 17346

Reply By: herkman - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 06:33

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 06:33
As a person who operated and owned a 2002 ML270, and ran over 40,000 kms in thirteen months, I would like to offer the following comments.

1. The ML270 does not normally suffer from turbo lag, and should accelerate briskly to what ever speed you require. I doubt if there is any other 4WD brand, that can move so quick.

2. The problem of hestitation on some cars, is well known to MB, and has resulted in a court case in the USA ( USA does not have the 270).

The situation is not normal, and should be persued with all vigour, I suggest direct with MB in Melbourne. There is a ML270 owner in Dubbo, who is engaged in considerable action, with MB about this same problem.

If you search the MB site in the USA, you can pick up the threads on this.

There have been situations where ML320's have lost almost complete power, which can be particuliarly dangerious.

3. Become a member of the Australian ML forum, and if you put a post on there you will get much info and history.

4. As for the muffler noise, it is not normal, and I suspect that your dealer is too tired, to focus on the prioblem. I would not accept it, a $80,000 motor, which sounds like a VW, no way.

Forget the dealer, he like many MB dealers is a goose, start to hammer MB in Melbourne, and insist that their local service man comes and rides the car.

If you advise where you live, I may be able to direct you a little better.

Regards

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 17353

Follow Up By: John S - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 10:47

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 10:47
Appreciale the feedback Col. I live in Perth and would welcome contact details for the MB website in the USA. I did list this problem on one MB website some months back where you could provide owner comments but never received any replies.

Also, do you have an e-mail address / contact name for MB in Melbourne

Regards

John Syms
0407 423 163
FollowupID: 10883

Reply By: herkman - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 06:35

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 06:35
As a person who operated and owned a 2002 ML270, and ran over 40,000 kms in thirteen months, I would like to offer the following comments.

1. The ML270 does not normally suffer from turbo lag, and should accelerate briskly to what ever speed you require. I doubt if there is any other 4WD brand, that can move so quick.

2. The problem of hestitation on some cars, is well known to MB, and has resulted in a court case in the USA ( USA does not have the 270).

The situation is not normal, and should be persued with all vigour, I suggest direct with MB in Melbourne. There is a ML270 owner in Dubbo, who is engaged in considerable action, with MB about this same problem.

If you search the MB site in the USA, you can pick up the threads on this.

There have been situations where ML320's have lost almost complete power, which can be particuliarly dangerious.

3. Become a member of the Australian ML forum, and if you put a post on there you will get much info and history.

4. As for the muffler noise, it is not normal, and I suspect that your dealer is too tired, to focus on the prioblem. I would not accept it, a $80,000 motor, which sounds like a VW, no way.

Forget the dealer, he like many MB dealers is a goose, start to hammer MB in Melbourne, and insist that their local service man comes and rides the car.

If you advise where you live, I may be able to direct you a little better.

Regards

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 17354

Reply By: herkman - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 20:04

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 20:04
I promise this time I will not push the post button twice.

Let me stress right up front, that the situation you are in, exposes you and your family, plus other motorists to great danger.

The problem of sudden power loss, particularly when accelerating, is a know problem on all series of ML's, around the world.

Garry Roberts, who runs an Australian Forum for ML's, has postings on his site, when go into this matter. Also on his personal web site, he has links to most of the world wide ones too. Remember if you post on the USA site, the ML270 is not sold there or in Canada. However as on many occasions it is associated with computer clitches, then if you post on the USA sites, put the car down as a 320 as well as a 270. Searches on the USA site will have them popping out.

dragnet.com.au/~groberts/mlp.html

This will take you to Gary's site, and he has links to all the good sites, plus how to contact MB Austrlia.

I live in Adelaide, but visit Perth often, and I would not let Diesel Motors touch our car.

The best dealer is the one at Bunbery, and he until recently had a high milage ML270 (80,000 kms) on his service schedule, I suggest a phone call to him, should find he has interest in your problems.

We last week, sold our ML270, because of the stubborn refusal of MB Australia, to sell us servicing and trouble shooting publications, as most of our 4WD running, is done pulling a caravan into remote locations. Loved the car, and it gave no problems, but hated the dealer service, they caused more problems than they fixed.

Another good contact, who also owns a ML270, is John Green in Canberra, (which was why I asked where you lived. He has forgotten more about the MB product, than most of us will learn. I suspect he could tell you, if there is a good operator in Perth. He runs an independant MB service centre, and can save you big money. You can find him on

mbspares.com.au

By all means mention my name.

It is my personal opinion, that MB have a long way to go, in dealer developement, particuliarly in regard to the ML series. Now that you can buy the Grande Cherookee, with the ML270 engine and transmission, and you can buy them off the shelf, just as well equiped, and in some cases better, and soooo much cheaper. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I hope I have helped you, your dealer is a dill, and his tardyness, should not be accepted.

Regards

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 17404

Follow Up By: John S - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 16:06

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 16:06
Col,

You have been most helpful. I've contacted MB Melbourne with my concerns - I'll let you know how I get on !

Regards

John S
FollowupID: 11047

Sponsored Links