rooftop tents

Submitted: Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 10:23
ThreadID: 4342 Views:2713 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
After searching the Net and viewing several different brands of tents I have found that the maggiolina series seem to be the easiest to put up, probably the strongest and most functional. No one on the forum ever seems to mention them. Is there something I don't know? I am tossing up between the Aussie travaler and one of the maggionlina. What I have gathered from people on the forum is that canvas tents (aussie trav) can be abit of a hassel when they get wet, the maggionlina wouldn't have that problem as much because of its hard roof and it wouldn't be a pain to pack a way because its simply a matter of turning the handel and it rolls down. I talked to someone who owns one of these maggionlina tents and they swear by them. Please help
The camping show only lasts 3 more days and I need to purchase with show prices.
Thanks in advance
Miri
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 12:03

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 12:03
Hi Miri
The advantage of the Aussie is that it leaves you half a roof for 2nd tyre, wood or fuel
Raywanderin' in retirement. victor 2010
AnswerID: 17368

Reply By: miri - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 14:10

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 14:10
THANKS RAY
You know what its like before you spend that much on anything you want to be sure your getting the best or that you know any disadvantages etc. no surpises once purchased.
Other than roof space what do you think of the Maggionlina?
have you heard anything else about them, they just seem simpler when your only camping for a night, and with these tents i guess thats as long as you would be staying. Do you find it annoying packing up everything everyday?

AnswerID: 17376

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 14:13

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 14:13
I have recently purchased an OpenSky "Ezy Awn" rooftop tent and have been away in it for the last 2 weeks.

At this early stage it has proven to be EVERYTHING that OpenSky say it does.

I have had 2 nights of rain and have had no problems packing it up and more importantly upon re-opening it the next night my sleeping bag, pillows etc were all dry even after driving for 200km with tha 'wet' tent.

All this is done on my own, so with another pair of hands it would be even easier.

The earlier reply about having 1/2 the roof top available for 'other' stuff is very valid and you will miss it if you use it up unnecessarily.

I also had the roll out side awning fitted and beleive I now have an 'outback ready' setup.

plus the people at Opensky (Hans) are VERY helpful and gave me an excellent familirisation and training session on both units.

AnswerID: 17377

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 14:53

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 14:53
ps

Go to this webpage:

http://www.opensky.com.au/RoofTopTents.htm

and wait until the .gif loads on the right hand side to see how easy it is to set up. It actually is as easy as it looks :-)

Good luck
FollowupID: 10899

Reply By: Member - Errol (WA) - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 17:45

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 17:45
Weve had a maggiolina now for about 5 years now . Had no probs with it yet . Its been up the cape , out the desert ,across to sydney , its been every where man . The only thing wrong is no fly to sit under , but if you combine it with a role out awning , you would be right. We found the mattres to be to thin , but another 2in of fome fixed that .Also , We carry 6x4 tarp to put on the bed before putting it down just to make sure no moisture gets onto the bed , nothing worse than sleeping on a wet bed . Other tthan that , its greate .Why go overseas when you can Exploroz
ERROL
AnswerID: 17392

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (WA) - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 17:51

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 17:51
PS , there will be a pic on here hoopfully in ther next few weeks.Why go overseas when you can Exploroz
ERROL
FollowupID: 10914

Reply By: Steve - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 18:19

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 18:19
Miri: there is no comparison between Aussie and that Magno unit from Italy !! The Magno has no space to stand in to change your gear, wash your arse or even eat inside when wet.. aside from the possibility of needing a midnight pee.. without all the neighbours getting a free look...I looked at the Magno thing some years back and decided to spend a few more bucks and I got : A large living area under canvas, and easy to access queen sized bed, with several windows to let an airflow through in the tropics, an area to change/ pommy wash, eat in bleep house weather and a zone to keep away from the nasties in the Bush !!! .. but I am not the expert as most others would know, I only speak from experience...
AnswerID: 17477

Reply By: jason - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 10:10

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 10:10
we have had a maggionlina overcamp medium for about 3 years & it's great.easy to set up sleeps 2 adults & 2 little kids.
regards
jason
AnswerID: 17645

Sponsored Links