IDEAL SECOND BATTERY FOR ME,yes i`ve searched

Submitted: Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 15:38
ThreadID: 4346 Views:2956 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G`day travellers,i know theres info around (archive) but i need it specific and straight from the horses mouth,to coin a phrase.

Heading off soon to Innamincka/FlindersRanges in GU3.0lt Patrol with duel batteries with simple manual isolator switch on terminal.Slave battery NZ70 showing signs of failure,,,,running low after one nights camp while supplying 40lt Engel and low wattage flouro,also is requiring fairly regular fluid top ups,(battery was a second hand gift).I think the water levels may be dropping due to its location on turbo side of donk(no leakage).I think i`ll try a heat sheild around the new battery ,,,,but the question remains .........WHICH BATTERY FOR ME..........

REQUIERMENTS: 1.Able to run engel(set on 2) and flouro(11 watt) for 2 nights camping.

2. Have decent life span (3-4 years)
Brands,models, prices and your experieces would be greatly appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Sam - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 15:45

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 15:45
Jeremy

I ran a similar setup off an Overlander 700 cranking battery. However, the battery was receiving a little bit of charge everyday due to some running around in the vehicle, but I would image it would have plenty to handle two nights.

cheers,
Sam.
AnswerID: 17384

Reply By: Will - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 16:37

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 16:37
Jeremy, a couple of things-
the average life of a battery is 2.5 - 3 years,
if one or so of the cells are loosing electrelite it is because the battery is failing and the cells are "boiling" meaning the battery is on its way out.
Will
AnswerID: 17390

Reply By: joeblogs - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 19:38

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 19:38
jeremy i have just recently fitted a dual battery setup in my 3ltr patrol. it comprises of a rotronics unit rfc12 and a composite plate battery, a mp600 century apparently these are a marine battery and at around $160 not a bad price. it still has to stand a test of time but i feel confident that it will.
AnswerID: 17402

Reply By: Phil P - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 21:47

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 21:47
Hi Jeremy,

I opted for the Exide Extreme Battery (purchased from KMart at $138). This battery has a 2 year warranty and I figure KMart is usually pretty good to deal with when returning faulty products. exide claim that this battery is a dual purpose battery (deep cycle & cranking). I have run my Waeco 50L for almost 3 days from this battery without having to charge it. Battery still had charge but my camping trip was over !

Did you fit the system in yourself ? If so can you provide more details regarding the type of battery tray, isolator switch etc.

Thanks
Phil P
AnswerID: 17413

Follow Up By: jeremy - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 21:31

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 21:31
hey Phil,,yes i fitted it myself(the tray etc.),,very simple set up,,i bought the battery tray at ARB Northern inThomastown $110 and is specially made to fit the 3lt eng bay altough if you have abs ,could be a prob with room.I fitted the tray which is an excellent unit and simply bolts to existing holes in eng bay.Then i bought a battery isolator terminal from Kmart(green knob on top of terminal).Run a good size cable linking the positives and the negative to the eng block.So to isolate you lift the bonnet and twist the green not on the positive terminal ,separating the batteries,,,,,,,clear as mud?Any queries just ask!
FollowupID: 11062

Reply By: Member - diamond(bendigo) - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 23:08

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 23:08
i use a delcor marine battery cross between deep cycle/cranking had it 12 months never let me down i asked our delcor suplier what i should use with our limmited deep cycling we go away for a lot of weekends.one thing he did say was when you are going away and havnt deep cycled it for a while is to rechargeit on a battery charget up to full charge 14.something volts.also has a 2 year no hastle waranty.we sell them at work and when people come in with a problem first thing i do is check if alternator is working if its working ill grab there name/number give them a new one.get the old one checked bye r&j batteries if its not a fault it usually comes back cleanede /charged couldnt see kmart doing that.looking foward to easter at jamieson
AnswerID: 17422

Sponsored Links