Clutch on Patrol 2000

Submitted: Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 17:31
ThreadID: 4347 Views:1503 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
All,

Sent my 2000 Patrol into Nissan to get an oil leak fixed (oil appeared next to the air conditioner compressor)

Turns out the gearbox has to be removed to fix the oil leak in the sump ??? We need the car for a week they said !!!! So what about my Easter Camping trip which starts on Wednesday I asked........Can I book it in for after easter...........We have already started removing the gearbox as its a warranty issue they said !!!!!! After lots of venting they told me they would get two people onto it and have it ready by Tuesday.

Anyway Nissan called me back about an hour later to tell me the clutch was well on the way out and should be replaced ($800.....I'd be interested to know what a clutch REALLY costs) and seeing the car was in bits why not get it replace.

The cars done 85,000k's being an ex cop car I'm starting to believe anything is possible.

Surely this is not the norm for clutches. The question is how can you tell if the clutch is worn? As I had not noticed anything or is it one of those things that gets adjusted at services and you never know until it goes?

ThanksPaul
Patrol GUII 3Lt 2000 DX
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GOB vic - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 17:42

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 17:42
why dont you drop into aftermarket supplier and check price of pressure plate and clutch or even ring another nissan dealer and ask how muchto do up clutch sounds a lot with gearbox out almost like they are getting costs back and not doing you any favours .do you have a friend who is mechanic you could ask to inspect yours before they touch .alot depends on how you drive as to how long they last .if you ring another nissan dealer just tell him gear box already out how much for parts as you might do it while box is apart removing gearbox is fair size job to do clutch later but if they do it now 800 seems abit much89 nissan looking foward to august and more travelling
AnswerID: 17391

Reply By: Member - diamond(bendigo) - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 18:30

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 18:30
sounds to me like there trying to rip you of for sure.i had a clutch problem with our festive ford told me clutch plate not covered by waranty but rest of clutch is.so to find out if it is the clutch or the clutch plate they will have to pull gearbox out if its tnot the cluch plate it wont cost me a cent.but if it is the clutch plate i pay the whole lot.i told them i will check it first so i pulled out the gearbox and found the pressure plate bent so i put it back together and sent it to ford for them to do the lot.this might not help you but if they got the gearbox out.get a price for a c/o clutch from repco ect tell nissan you will supply the clutch and then there should only be about 1hr extra labour for them to fit the new unit.if they go on about waranty with non nissan parts just remind them that repco ect have there own waranty.give it a go and dont let them get away with it im in the mechanical trade and i see it every day people dont relise and just pay what ppeople ask.looking foward to easter at jamieson
AnswerID: 17397

Reply By: Johnad - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 19:04

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 19:04
Paul, I had same oil leak with my diesel. I stated to nissan that the oil leak could've contributed to premature clutch deterioration (sounds good). After much debate and discussion (heated), they agreed to pay 50/50. So I pushed the issue and the job was completely done under warranty. They only had the vehicle off the road for two days. All the best with your rig!!!

John
AnswerID: 17398

Reply By: Member - Paul - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 09:30

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 09:30
Price sounds rich but is about right for Nissan parts.

I rang around,

$350 for Pressure plate
$250 for Driven plate
$60 for Bearing

$140 Labour........but if the Rear main seal is the cause of the leak I'll argue the labour costs and maybe more......Paul
Patrol GUII 3Lt 2000 DX
AnswerID: 17449

Reply By: colin - Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 13:06

Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 13:06
If you do have to replace the clutch look into a heavy duty clutch, put one in my GQ and cant feel any difference in the pedal, but gives me piece of mind when in the hard stuff towing. I got 222000 ks from the original clutch with no probs, mine is a 4.2 diesal. The bigger clutch cost about a grand fitted. Col
AnswerID: 17506

Sponsored Links