ipaq <span class="highlight">gps</span> to laptop

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 21, 2007 at 19:59
ThreadID: 43490 Views:1799 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
can a hp ipaq rx5700 PDA running tomtom be used as a gps receiver linked to a laptop running discoveraus
If so, how do I do-it
thanks guys
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gerhardp1 - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2007 at 20:48

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2007 at 20:48
No, based on the specs below.
There is no "GPS Out" port available, it would have to be serial or USB to be used for connecting to the Laptop as an input. The Mini-USB appears to be only for synchronising and charging.

But why not ask HP - they may actually tell you that the Mini-USB can be used to transfer GPS signals to the Laptop. The Software you install on the laptop to synchronise with may have some clues in it as well - have a look in the options/preferences of the software. Also have a look at your windows devices when it's all plugged in - if you have an extra COM port appearing, you could aim discoveraus at it and see what happens.

Expansion slot
I/O Slots available for additional devices: SD slot supporting 1-bit SDIO and 4-bit SD/MMC type memory standard

I/O port
1 mini-USB connector for synchronization and charging

Memory slots
SD Slot: supports 1-bit SDIO and 4-bit SD/MMC type memory standard

AnswerID: 228872

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2007 at 21:28

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2007 at 21:28
What are you trying to achieve?

DiscoverAus can run on a laptop but if you specifically want to run it, you would be better off buying a GPS Receiver mouse which connects to the Laptop's USB port.

Why DiscoverAus. Because you already have it?

You may be better off installing OziExplorer and NatMap Premium maps onto your PDA and use TomTom in the metro areas and Ozi anywhere else.
You can even run both at the same time if you include GPSgate on your PDA to share the GPS input across multiple applications.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 228886

Reply By: gavinlyn - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2007 at 22:41

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2007 at 22:41
I have already tried emailing HP 3 times with no results, yet I ask you guys and within 2 hours I have something alest to work
THANKS HEAPS GUYS
AnswerID: 228905

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 00:13

Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 00:13
gavinlyn

I own a rd5765 and it will run as a GPS received to my laptop using port 7. I use oziexplorer and you set up oziexplorer to NMEA only using port 7.

I have never tried running discover australia so I do not have any knowledge as to how to configure it with that program. As it will do it with Oziexplorer there should be a way to do it.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 228921

Follow Up By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 08:46

Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 08:46
Interesting, my 5765 is in the HP shop getting Tom Tom reinstalled (I was careless deleting files!) but I am going to try this as soon as it is back.

Cheers

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 489982

Sponsored Links