air locker for hj75 rear only

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 23, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 435 Views:4995 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are thinking of fitting an airlocker to our hj75. is it advisable to fit both front and rear?
We've heard steering problems occur when you forget to disegage the front. would rear only fitting put too much stress on the back axle?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rod - Monday, Sep 24, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 24, 2001 at 00:00
Ray and Maggie,
I've got a 75 series. I've left the rear as a slippery diff and just recently had a Detroit Locker (one of the new improved versions) installed in the front diff. A quite remarkable difference in its 4wdriving ability. To date I have not heard any of this clicking that is supposed to happen when turning. They also say that the steering will be heavier, well its bugger all. Just something for you to ponder.
AnswerID: 1123

Follow Up By: Ray & Maggie - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2001 at 00:00
Rod, thanks for your reply, I didn't mention the LSD in our '75 because it hasn't got one, and i've been advised against fitting one because of wear and tear to the LSD, so the question still remains, will a rear only air locker put undue strain on that diff?
cheers ray & maggie.
FollowupID: 329

Reply By: Rob G - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2001 at 00:00

Hi Ray & Maggie,
I originally fitted an ARB Airlocker to the front of my troopy & left the rear LSD in its original form. It performed ok, but I found the original LSD was pretty much stuffed & didn't help the cause. With the airlocker engaged, the steering is quite heavy, but I never found I forgot to switch it off after use. When the vehicle was heavily loaded with gear in the back, I really found that I needed dual lockers (after getting bogged a couple of times). So I added a second locker & naturally performance is great.
AnswerID: 1126

Follow Up By: Ray & Maggie - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2001 at 00:00

Thanks for your reply Rob, could you look at our reply to Rod. at this stage it is the rear diff we're concerned about, rather than the steering.
regards ray & maggie
FollowupID: 330

Reply By: wasa - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2001 at 00:00
g/day guys I had a hj75 with a detriot locker in the rear end and it was the greatest thing since slice bread. It did click and clunk only when in tight turning areas mainly hard ground surfaces like car parks as for reliablity the rear diff had covered over 100,000 kms and was still working ok I now have a hzj75 with twin diff locks factory fitted So all i can is go for it wasa
AnswerID: 1131

Reply By: Jim Robinson - Friday, Sep 28, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 28, 2001 at 00:00
Ray/Maggie
I have both, and to be quite honest use the front one rarely, the difference it makes just having the rear is enough in most cases. True the front one makes the steering difficult but believe me if you are in a situation to be using both you wont forget to turn it/them off.
As for stressing the back axle, like anything else if you give it too much you can break anything.
Regards
Jim
AnswerID: 1134

Follow Up By: Ray And Maggie - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2001 at 00:00
Many thanks Jim, you confirmed what we had been thinking, that the rear in most cases would be enough. You're right about damage, it's not the nut on the wheel that causes problems, it's the nut behind it! Regards Ray and Maggie.
FollowupID: 336

Sponsored Links