engine and driveline evolution - GQ to GU

Submitted: Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 19:48
ThreadID: 4350 Views:1661 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all - new to Exploroz but enjoying the forum.
I want to get out of my Prado petrol and into a diesel, but one with lots of grunt. Am now leaning towards Nissan 4.2 diesel as a starting point but am not sure which year to buy. One of the other posts talked about the GQ 91-94 models being the toughest engines etc, but can anyone inform me on how the engine, driveline etc has changed/evolved from those 91-94 GQs onwards? Is the engine still as tough in the GU? Is the GU as tough as the GQ?Russell S
Prado RV6
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tristjo - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 01:03

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 01:03
As far as the engines go, the GQ came with the TD42 diesel, and the RD28T turbo diesel. The 4.2ltr was bulletproof, if a bit slow, but would readily accept a turbo. The 2.8ltr turbo was not one of Nissans greatest ideas, being very sluggish, but with a bit of tweaking, they can make a reasonable ammount of power, and from what I have seen, are quite reliable. Driveline in the GQ is also extremely bulletproof, and they have proven to be extremely robust and capeable. When they released the GU, it came with 3 diesel motors. The tried and proven TD42 remained in the DX wagon and some utes, along with the TD42T, basicly a turboed TD42, which was available in the DX and ST wagons, aswell as some of the utes. They also carried over the 2.8ltr td, but added an intercooler, and called it the RD28TI. This motor was only available in the DX and ST wagons. As far as the driveline is concerned, the no nonsense, tough as nails setup remained, but CV's were strenghened, one of the only weak points of the GQ. In my oppinion, if you were to buy a good 91-93 model GQ TD42, expect to pay around 16-20k for a good, clean average kays diesel. If you want the extra grunt, fit a turbo, but dont expect much change out of 5k. A good '00 model GU TD42T, with around 60k on the clock, you'll be looking at around 40k, but that will get you one barely run in. If you can afford it, go for the GU because of all the little refinements, because with the TD42T, they are just as tough as the mighty GQ.
Whichever one you choose, you will not be dissapointed, so have a look at, and drive as many GQ's and GU's as possible, and see what takes your fancy.
Happy travelin'!!
Tristjo.
AnswerID: 17435

Follow Up By: Member - Russell - Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 21:10

Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 21:10
Thanks, Tristjo. It does seem as if the basic things are still the same with some refinements, so I'll probably go for the GU. having said that, I sat in a new ST the other day and thought the seats etc were a bit poor. And the 'new' 2003 'upgrade'! How pathetic was that..... My evolving thought is to try and find a GU 4.2 five speed (can't take autos) with under 100,000 km that some bloke just bought, drove and serviced - original tyres, suspension etc, no mods - and then add the stuff I want to it. Will then have one hell of a truck, particularly if I spend the same money as I'd have to putting a new one on the road.Russell S
Prado RV6
FollowupID: 10990

Reply By: simon - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 22:15

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 22:15
Hi Russell

I have just purchased a 99 dx 4.2l gu it has a after market turbo intercooled with 3" exhaust also has bbar,tbar,cent lock, wind tint,dual batt, snorkel and 4" lift plus 5 new tyres procomp xterrains(my choice)
I payed $35k.
I previously had a GQ petrol and from what i can see the GU is just as tough the GQ time will tell i guess the 4.2L ones are hard to find in a GU but well worth waiting for.
Oh you will pay a premium for this motor but there is a reason for this.

My 2 cents
AnswerID: 17485

Follow Up By: Member - Russell - Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 21:13

Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 21:13
Thanks, Simon. That sounds like the right sort of $, but as explained above, I'd rather take an unmodified truck and do what I want to it, even if it costs more. You never know though, sometimes you come across one that has exactly what you want and done well, so we'll see...Russell S
Prado RV6
FollowupID: 10991

Sponsored Links