Menindee lake system

Submitted: Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 20:39
ThreadID: 4352 Views:2396 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
In four weeks we will be leaving Tassie for a three month Cape York
and Gulf adventure. We would like to stop at Menindee on our way up
but last reports I heard the lake system was nearly empty, can anyone
tell us how much water there is about now.
Would it be worth the trip in regardless of the water level?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ERIC from Cape York Connections - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 12:02

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 12:02
Nick i have been to the Menindee area a couple of times. There is more than just water , you can see the menindee pub it has history there , also there is one of Australias biggest shearing sheds [ the name I have forgotten ] its worth a look .
The camping in the area is also good.
You can also go to BrokenHill it is about a 100 ks away plenty to see there. Silverton is also near by heeaps to see.
All the best
EricCape York Connections
AnswerID: 17456

Reply By: Peter - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 12:02

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 12:02
i too have heard the lake system is nearly dry. even so the area is well worth the visit. mungo, kinchega and mootwingee national parks are very interesting. beauitful and historic. also broken hill is well worth a visit. a great outback town and with arty silverton down the road you get the bonus of some offbeat culture. and of course bourke is only up the road, kind of.
AnswerID: 17457

Reply By: Member - Julian - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 18:57

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 18:57
Hi Nick,
I live in Ivanhoe, (2 hrs East of Menindee) Yes this region is well worth a visit.
Although the Menindee lakes are low at the moment, there is still heaps to see here. As Peter mentioned, there is the Mungo, Kinchega & Mutawintji National Parks are a must see, if you are in this region.

All the best,
Julian.
AnswerID: 17478

Follow Up By: Member - Nick - Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 09:35

Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 09:35
Thanks for the replies,I think we will still head in and have a look.Julian, we actually intend to head up to Ivanhoe and then head east to Menindee.Whats this road like and is there anything to see along here.
Thanks all.
FollowupID: 10967

Sponsored Links