Kidman Way

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 18:44
ThreadID: 43524 Views:3017 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G;day all - wanting to head up to around Longreach in June this year - travelling on the Kidman Way (from Melbourne) - anyone got any good recommendatiions as to what to stop and see - we like to do a bit of fossicking - so will be heading to Yowah and Quilpie while we are away - looking for some bush camping along the way -
I know there will be someone out there with some great knowledge of this trip - let's hear it
jules
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 19:57

Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 19:57
Longreach has plenty to see,Qantas 747, Qantas museum, Stockmans Hall of Fame, you won't misss the 747 , she looks beaut and can see the white Roo on the red tail from a couple of Ks , Ilfracombe has a big line up of machinery from the past from one end of the town to the other thats worth a stroll and read the plates on them.

Site Link

Site Link

Those two links will tell you a lot, In Barcaldine there is a Caravan Pk but also the oval has camping , power, and a good clean Toilet/Shower block, see the caretaker in the Donga on the left as you enter S23 33 05.6 E145 17 37.1 is the co-ord for the gate , when in Barcaldine turn R at the BP head East to Pine St on the left , go over the Railway and there it will be on your right, Dogs allowed

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 229070

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 22:14

Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 22:14
Julie,

Are you going up and back the same way? If you don't mind dirt roads then the road from Balranald, Ivanhoe to Wilcannia then up to Hungerford is an interesting alternative to the Kidman Way for one leg of the trip. That would give you a loop up and back to Longreach.

There would be plenty of places to bush camp and some National Parks such as Currawinya just over the Qld border from Hungerford, Welford and Lochern near Windorah and Stonehenge. The towns along the way are interesting too. After Wilcannia you could take a detour to White Cliffs then on to Wanaaring. You open the gate to get into Qld at Hungerford and the old pub there is really worth a look. Eulo is a great little place to stop and look around, so is Thargomindah and you already said you're going to Yowah and Quilpie. The road from Windorah up to Longreach is all bitumen now and is some of the prettiest country around out there.

The Queensland Tourism used to put out a magazine regularly updated on the Matilda Highway and it was full of interesting things to do/see and places to stay. The Blackall Woolscour is definitely worth a visit.

A while back someone put in a post about camping near Bourke at a place, I think it was Mays Bend. That could be worth checking out. Mt Hope has an old pub with photos from the early days in the bar and Hillston has a really good caravan park

The Kidman Way is a good road and we always go that way when heading up to Qld. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Viv
AnswerID: 229111

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 22:37

Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 22:37
Hi Vivvie, you on your bike this weekend? I guess you haven't thought much about training though. Take care
FollowupID: 489916

Follow Up By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 22:52

Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 22:52
Hello John,
No, I "officially" retired from bike riding after Around The Bay last October. It was becoming too difficult to juggle the training, work and the other things like travel that I wanted to do.
With Murray to Moyne on this week end though, I can't help but feel a little envious of my mates out there battling the south/south easterlies up to 25kmh that are predicted!! Truly character building!!
I'm going to Horsham to stay with Dad for the week end as my brother & wife have to go away. Dad and I will park on the Hamilton road and wave cheerfully from our warm car as they pedal past.
Hope you got some of the lovely rain this week and maybe more tomorrow. We had an inch and it's amazing how everything, grass, plants and our spirits have lifted.

Best wishes
Viv
FollowupID: 489925

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 05:49

Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 05:49
Viv, have some friends riding in the Timboon Cruisers and some sponsorship too riding on the trip. Be in Ballarat ourselves then. Love to see some rain, we could see it on the radar but nothing south of Nhill it seemed. All 300 kms away or nearly that. The farm is crying out for it and Elders http://www.eldersweather.com.au/local.jsp is suggesting 80% chance of 10-20mm. Here is hoping

Take care, hope you Dad is better out and around
FollowupID: 489950

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 09:33

Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 09:33
spent some time playing out there last year..........make sure you settle down for the sunday night bbq with Noel and Gina at the quilpie cara. pk....great hosts and a good time. was given good pointers by the 'opal hunter' - he has a shop come house in the main street of quilpie. hdg sth from longreach i turned right onto a dirt road and ended up camped at a station run by the nat pks - good place, quiet and plenty of birds to see. from there I ended up on the barcoo river and then into quilpie - all good dirt tracks/roads but not if it has rained. from quilpie down to toompine pub - free camping with power and good food and company - what more could you ask for. yowah - hmmm - i drove through and had a look - just not for me.............there is a dirt road that brings you out sth of yowah onto a hwy then wherever you want after that i guess. a great part of aust. and good times. oh yeah and longreach is ok but very very crowded. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 229186

Sponsored Links