Three way frig

Submitted: Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 21:29
ThreadID: 4358 Views:3275 Replies:9 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
We have opted to take the standard electrolux three way frig on our new pop top.

We are recieving all sorts of advice, some a little confusing, but time will sort that out.

We have been told, that whilst the van is stored in our garage, that we should run the frig on 240 volt, all the time.

Must admit that might be a good place to store the beer.

Does any one have thoughts of this matter, or any other usefull advice.

Our previous van had a 12 volt unit (Waeco) frig/freezer two door, and it appeared quite happy to do its thing.

Thanks

Col Tigwell
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Paul - Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 23:13

Friday, Apr 11, 2003 at 23:13
Have had a fridge slid installed and the Finch serviced - an uncle of mine swers by the 3 way system.... there is just 2 much info???
AnswerID: 17427

Reply By: Goodsy - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 00:30

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 00:30
No reason that I know of to run it all the time. Use less you want too. There are no moving parts to lube like a compressor fridge so if you want to turn it off. These fridges should run forever unless there is a leak of ammonia or hydrogen gas.

Parents electrolux three way is used about once every 2 months and is at least 20 years old, runs perfect every trip. Only prob has been a blocked gas jet.
AnswerID: 17431

Reply By: Redjack - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 00:59

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 00:59
Can't say I'd recomend running an absorbtion fridge in 240V constantly. They use a heating element for the ammonia solution and that would eventially fail. Use it every couple of months to circulate the ammonia solution should be sufficent. Thats all we do for our 22 yr old Electrolux.
AnswerID: 17434

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 04:04

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 04:04
I know we dont worry about spelling on this newgroup like some do...but I couldnt let the heading of herkmans question pass un answered, maybe its also my warped sense of humour at work too.

Three way frig

think about it :-)
AnswerID: 17439

Reply By: timbo - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 08:20

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 08:20
We have a 3 way chescold and we have never had a problem except for spiders getting into the gas jet,and we use it every now and then,with no inbetween running and goes as good as new.
AnswerID: 17447

Reply By: David N. - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 11:06

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 11:06
Do NOT run it continuously- won't matter if it goes months without running.
(you should have bought a 12v fridge- they are heaps better! I sold my "new " electrolux 3 way in the trading post (for about 80% of new price) and upgraded to Vitrifrigo and would NEVER get another 3 way... Cons:
Huge power consumption
Very slow to cool
Useless when it hits high 30's and 40's
Won't work/ and will be ruined running off perfect level
Rro's
Run on gas
One 80w solar panel will run mine forever in the bush- better than running out of gas!
PS I don't sell friges- just like a frig that WORKS whatever the temp.
AnswerID: 17454

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 14:37

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 14:37
Col
You will notice that questions regarding 'choice' of frig type is always fairly biased one way or the other (not 3 ways - joke !)
Firstly, the frig can be left unused for months - make sure the gas pipe is covered/connected to stop critters getting in. I store mine in a plastic bag to keep in clean. Some recomend that you turn the frig over occasionaly - tip it over 360 degrees to circulate the gas ?! (difficult if the frig is in a camper)
You will find in the archive notes on fitting 12 v computer fans to the back of frig to aid in air circulation - this will improve the efficiency greatly.
Make sure the power cable is "heavy" , preferably with a dedicated wire direct to the battery, as they draw a lot of current.
The frig will be best on 240 v or gas. As the frig is in a camper you would no doubt have it level which important when running on gas.
I have also insulated the exterior of my frig with foam backed heavy duty foil (self adhesive backed) available from Clark Rubber
My Sadec 3 way is 20 years old and only recently had it serviced - mainly a clean out of the LPG gas pipes.
As my frig is used inside the car, I have a voltage cutout fitted so I dont flaten the battery.
3 way frigs may not get/be as 'cool' as a 'proper' compresser type but they are versitile and very reliable.
Good luck
AnswerID: 17464

Follow Up By: David N. - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 20:10

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 20:10
Sorry Colin -
But I'm talking from loooong experience here (have PLENTY of experience with 3 way and still have a Chescold portable!!!) .
You'll find none of the commercial operators (Buses etc) use 3 way fridges- they quite simply don't work when you need them most. When it comes down to it, almost any frig will usually do the job when it's 15 or 20 degrees, but when it really gets hot, it's no contest!!!

If you don't mind warm beer and spoiling food- go for whatever you want.
FollowupID: 10959

Follow Up By: Scott - Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 18:09

Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 18:09
David N Many of the commercial operators use three way fridges as we do. We use Evakool chest type freezers but use Electrolux now called Dometic upright three way fridges for front opening.
The Dometic/Electrolux fridges are T rated which stands for TROPICAL unlike the majority of your 12v portable fridges which includes Engel, Waeco, Vitrifrigio which are only N or SN and do not operate properly over 32C
The important thing is that the Dometic/Electrolux fridges are installed exactly as the instructions say so with the correct ventilation and position of the vents. We have our 2 Electrolux fridges mounted in a trailer we take on our extended 30 day coach tours. The Electrolux fridges have never failed to keep the required 4C to 6C in 45C tempretures. We have to have tempreture recorders on all fridges for health department so know exactly what tempreture ranges the fridges are cycling at. Never placed any extra fans or any other gimmicks to get the fridges to work properly. They run on 12v while travelling and stopped for up to an hour and then change over to gas. Problem is from information on another forum I was reading only ten minutes ago was that only 5% of three way fridges in caravans are installed correctly.
FollowupID: 10985

Follow Up By: David N. - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 12:31

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 12:31
Scott- sorry-
Maybe I should have said none of the commercial operators "that I know"- which is quite a number!
If you go to ANY forum (caravan, 4WD etc etc ) you'll find people having problems with 3way fridges when the going gets tough. It's really quite simple- Can't remember when I spoke to somebody or read of someone with problems with a Danfoss powered compressor fridge. You just do not have problems- it's that simple! Ventilation is not critical, you need much smaller wiring, you can run it off level, you can park for the afternoon and not flatten your battery- still works when it's stinking hot- the list goes on and on. 3 way technology is getting on torwards 80 years old if my memory serves me correctly- quite simply it's nearly had it's day and I predict that they won't be selling too many 3 way fridges in 10 years from now, because people will have seen the light. (Old habits do die hard!)
And, if you have suitable solar panel capacity, you don't run out of power and therefore don't have to lug around heaps of gas (bloody dangerous stuff!) with you (was it you who said in another post that this was a problem??)
Yes, 3 way friges run on gas- but I can think of NO other good points they have.
And finally- a mate of mine bought a Chescold fridge/freezer new recently- loaned it to his 20 something year old son who took it camping. Seems it was run "off level" despite warnings not to do so- result one totally ruined, nearly new fridge which Electrolux will NOT fix on warranty- there are warnings and exclusions about this in the fine print on the warranty document!
It's a free world, but I choose not to have them anymore apart from my old Chescold portable (yes- it does get used occasionally.)
FollowupID: 11143

Follow Up By: Scott - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 20:15

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 20:15
David N unfortunatly you know little to nothing about portable refrigeration. Sure you read reports about poorly operating 3 way refrigerators, but that is not the fault of the fridge. The fault is that 95% of caravan fridges in Australia are incorrectly installed by caravan manufacturers. They are installed with incorrect ventilation size, incorrect positioning of vents, distance from the rear wall incorrect.

The interesting factor that Electrolux/Dometic 3 way fridges are the only manufacturer that has the 'T' CEN (ex DIN) rating for their frong opening fridges. The 'T' stands for Tropical rating. The Engel, Vitrifrigio and all other 12v Sawafuji (Engel) or Danfoss fridges all fail have the 'T' rating. They have at best the 'N' rating which is only good to 32C. None can even support the SN or ST rating. The only chest type 12v portable chest type fridge Danfoss or Sawafuji powered is the evaKool that meets and exceeds the 'T' rating.

If you think absorbtion refrigeration is antiquated because it is 80 years old, why do you still drive a motor car? Because the technology is 80 years old does not mean it is no good. Absorbtion refrigeration has a large sector of the market in Europe and they have no intention of phasing it out. In many circumstances absorbtion refrigeration has advantages over compressor type refrigeration.

Overall I prefer 12vDC Danfoss powered refrigeration, but for some and in certain situations gas is better or preferable. As to gas been quote 'bloody dangerous' is like the evening news, trying to instill fear into people that is just not factual or correct.

As for your mate, there is such a thing as read the instructions for anything or educate that that you intend to lend your gear to. Every product has limitations or exceptions to their warranties, and because of the rank stupidity of your friend you feel Electrolux/Dometic should honour the warranty. Sorry, welcome to the real world of being responsible for your own actions.
FollowupID: 11154

Follow Up By: David N. - Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 10:08

Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 10:08
G'day Scott
love to meet sometime- you are an angry person aren't you!
Perhaps you should reread my post.
"The fault is that 95% of caravan fridges in Australia are incorrectly installed by caravan manufacturers. They are installed with incorrect ventilation size, incorrect positioning of vents, distance from the rear wall incorrect." (Insulting caravan manufacturers)
Exactly my point- compressor fridges are not critical on installation ventilation etc etc. (You have reinforced my arguement- not diminished it)
As for the insults- thats Not what this forum is about.-
"David N unfortunatly you know little to nothing about portable refrigeration. Sure you read reports about poorly operating 3 way refrigerators, but that is not the fault of the fridge."
Again YOU have backed up my arguement- you are very good at doing that while insulting me!

" If you think absorbtion refrigeration is antiquated because it is 80 years old, why do you still drive a motor car? Because the technology is 80 years old does not mean it is no good. Absorbtion refrigeration has a large sector of the market in Europe and they have no intention of phasing it out. In many circumstances absorbtion refrigeration has advantages over compressor type refrigeration."
1. Cars today like those of 80 years ago, use piston engines and usually have 4 wheels- however the similarity pretty much ends there. The technology involved is not comparable.
2. Most of Europe is just a tad colder than Australia
3. Yes -one advantage- they run on gas
"Overall I prefer 12vDC Danfoss powered refrigeration"
Exactly my arguement.
And finally "As for your mate, there is such a thing as read the instructions for anything or educate that that you intend to lend your gear to."- You are even insulting him. He was well aware that the fridge had to be operated level. He did tell his son to do so- (but again because of a limitation with the fridge ) the fridge was made useless by a simple mistake by his son (Have you- or any of your kids- obviously you have none- never made a simple mistake???)
Amazing how you are backing up my opinions and yet insulting people at the same time. I never intended to insult anybody on this forum- but you feel you have to- well good for you.

To Colin- if you've bothered to read this far- good luck with the new Pop-Top. Hope you get many years of enjoyment from it. If ever you become frustrated with poor performance from your frig just consider a 12v one as an alternative. Cheers
FollowupID: 11176

Follow Up By: Scott - Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 18:21

Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 18:21
David N you are obviously a great Australian. Now go back and bury your head in the sand.
FollowupID: 11197

Follow Up By: David N. - Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 20:52

Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 20:52
I rest my case. Yet again you prove me correct- go and take a happy pill as I think you need it.
Cheers and happy Easter.
FollowupID: 11201

Follow Up By: Scott - Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 09:20

Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 09:20
David N go back and read your original incorrect information
Huge power consumption
Very slow to cool
Useless when it hits high 30's and 40's
Won't work/ and will be ruined running off perfect level

The so called huge power consumption is irrelevent when people are using it when running from their vehicle while travelling. 10 amps is not a 'huge' amount of power.
3 way fridges are not VERY slow to cool
3 way fridges are far from useless in the 30's and 40's
Yes, 3 way fridges do need to be within 7 degrees of level to function correctly.
Since when has 80 year old technology been a problem. Electricity and the way we generate it is much older than 80 years. About time you learnt how much absorbtion refrigeration has improved in the last 15 years. Your beloved Vitrifrigio in their upright models will not come close to the performance of a T rated Electrolux fridge and Vitrifrigio fails in Australian conditions because of the N CEN rating. No problems with dust on three way fridges. Just blow the dust out. With Vitrifrigio you are stuffed and up for around $750 to repair the unit.

Your Vitrifrigio unit is not at all suited to the tropics and fails to function correctly and draws a substantial amount of power over 32C ambient tempreture. Your Vitrifrigio only has a N CEN rating, which is not suited to Australian conditions. You may also like to know that if your Vitrifrigio gets dust into the unit you will not get a warranty on the failure of the unit. Did you read that in your warranty? I bet you did not. Electrolux at least put all the facts in front of you.

One 80w solar panel is not sufficient to run a fridge of any type for more than a couple of days. A 120w panel is required.

I am most definitely not an angry person. It is a method of you attacking people to try and hide your ignorance and complete lack of knowledge on portable refrigeration. How about you go and do some basic study on refrigeration before you make yourself look more ignorant and ill informed of the facts.
FollowupID: 11216

Follow Up By: David N. - Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 10:51

Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 10:51
Scott
Go and have a beer or twenty- you obviously need it.
FollowupID: 11217

Follow Up By: David N. - Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 11:00

Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 11:00
PS
You obviously very badly suffer from "Road rage".
There are some very good courses available for this. You probably should not drive a vehicle until you've done such a course.
FollowupID: 11218

Follow Up By: Scott - Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 13:44

Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 13:44
I am NOT AN ANGRY PERSON!
But a lot of those around me are!!!!
FollowupID: 11225

Follow Up By: Scott H - Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 14:04

Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 14:04
This posting
"I am NOT AN ANGRY PERSON!
But a lot of those around me are!!!! "

Has nothing to do with me. It is the demented mind of a poster lackign in basic knowledge who got done over like a dinner.
FollowupID: 11226

Follow Up By: David N. - Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 14:06

Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 14:06
Scott,
A number of my friends have spoken to me expressing their amusement at the proceedings here, but I have cautioned them about that, as it is really a very serious problem we are talking about here- very serious indeed!
Both Italy (the home of Vitrifrogo) and Sweeden (the home of Electrolux) could figure in the solution as I shall explain. A word of caution here though- Italy has much warmer summers than Sweeden- so be carefull and do take that into consideration!
Rage, (anger) and high blood pressure are vey hazardous to your health- they often all go together and therein lies the problem. I am very concerned indeed for your wellbeing and may have given you dud info in the earlier posts when I mentioned "happy pill" and "twenty beers". For that I sincerely apologise.
You see drugs (legal or otherwise) and alcohol can sometimes be of some benefit- but extreme caution is needed here as they can have quite the opposite effect.
Your first priority should be to relax and find some way of reducing your blood pressure. I strongly advise you not to ignore this problem as it can be dangerous -both to you and those around you. Driving in this situation should be avoided at all costs- for the safety of others and yourself! Please seek medical help as the life you save could be your own!

Ways to reduce stress/anger/blood pressure:
Reduce your weight
Reduce your salt intake
Try to reduce alcohol consumption- a few social drinks are OK but more is dangerous for somebody with your condition
Take up Yoga
Take a course in "Anger Management" (there is a good movie just out by that name- I highly recommend it)
Perhaps a change of lifestyle or a change of job is warranted- I suggest you discuss this with a health professional. If you have time to take annual or long service leave (did you say you are self-employed? Can't remember!), then that may be extremely beneficial. That's where Italy and Sweeden come in, as both are magnificent holiday destinations. Although it is rapidly heading into high tourist season in both places, numbers are down due to the war and SARS- there are some very good deals available.
Finally, remember that if your doctor prescribes mediction for blood pressure management, many people will be stuck on that medication for the rest of their lives, so the "lifestyle" solutions are better.
I wish you a speedy recovery, and all the best. Take heart- many other people do suffer your problem- but most seek help before it gets out of control. I strongly suggest you do the same.
Sadly, this WILL be my last post on this subject, as I have better things to do with my time- like 4WDing- In fact I'm heading bush tonight.

Kind Regards, Dave N.
FollowupID: 11227

Follow Up By: David N - Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 14:07

Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 14:07
I am receiving treatment for my problems. I am not a demented sick person. I used to be but now I am taking tablets and getting treatment for my severe anger and other issues. The psychiatrist said I should come right so that proves there is nothing wrong with me. It is everybody else that is out of step and wrong.
FollowupID: 11229

Follow Up By: Flash - Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 21:38

Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 21:38
Scott OR Scott H
"IF" that is your real name!!!!
My" ACTUAL" first name is "Scott" and I am now too embarased to admit that to anybody!
You've lost the plot mate, and why are "YOU" posting in davidN's name- you dont fool anybody. (Blind Freddy can see that!!!!!!!!!!!!)
I think he is "RIGHT!!!!!"
you need help mate!!!!!!!!!!
GET A LIFE & get help- you are seriously pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!
Have you been in jail (yet) ?????????
Did you know that you can be identified by your sign-in (email address)!!!!!!
GET A LIFE & get help
YOU have problems and are doing this forum no favours!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I AM NOT GAME TO POST NOW UNDER THE NAME "SCOTT".- yet it is MY name.
Thanks for NOTHING!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 11279

Follow Up By: David N. - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 10:00

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 10:00
Hey Folks
Great easter away from it all- had a really good time.
Get back and now I find that "I" had words to say while I was miles from nowhere!!
My powers of deduction lead me to the conclusion that "Scott" or "Scott H"- (whatever his name is) has resorted in his state of total desperation to using my name.
Feeble effort Scott- you've again reinforced my arguement by proving that you need help! Don't forget there are laws on libel and defamation.
This IS definitely my last post here, and unlike Scott I won't be afraid to use my name elsewhere.....
FollowupID: 11325

Reply By: Scott - Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 18:14

Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 18:14
Herkman you should have no trouble or problems with it at all. Make sure and insist the Electrolux (now called Dometic) is a T rated fridge. The others are rated N and SN and not suitable for Australian conditions. The fridge MUST be installed exactly to Dometic instructions with the venting in the correct place, the correct area of venting and the fridge the correct distance away from the wall. Contarary to what others may say, 3 way fridges work perfectly with the T rating and correctly installed. Do not accept any sales person talk and contact the manufacturer and insist on a T rated fridge. Do not accept less. If you consider your money to be first class first grade do not accept second grade incorrect equipment.
AnswerID: 17516

Reply By: herkman - Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 20:08

Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 20:08
Thank you all for your kind help and advice

Regards

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 17527

Sponsored Links