Hiking Boots

Submitted: Monday, Sep 24, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 436 Views:3835 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
What is a good hiking boot for we 4WDers? We won't be trekking all day, just those 3-4 hour gorge explorations. Do you go for the beautiful Italian designs from Mountain Designs, Snowgum etc that will probably be very good quality? Are they? Or can you make do with a $100-150 pair or will the old air-sole Rossi's slip on work boot be adequate. I guess something that will breathe well would be good for the warmer climes but then you may need something waterproof-ish if you like playing in the mud in your 4x4.Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2001 at 00:00
Well the old advice of buying whatever is comfortable and buying the best you can afford is appropriate here.

If you want brands and you would prefer to keep the prices less than stratospheric I would suggest taking a look at the Land Rover boots. They are sturdy, reasonably light and look good. The name looks appropriate for a 4WDer as well! I have seen them in David Jones as well as in a couple of camping and hiking stores.

Good luck.

Joe
AnswerID: 1125

Reply By: Ray - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2001 at 00:00
Hi,

We use Rosi-lite boots and have found them to be excellent, very light, robust and long wearing. I've had mine for about 5-6 years now and they would have to last at least the same again. Obviously they are only used on occassion but are still wearing well, Aussie made to so that's a bonus.
AnswerID: 1128

Reply By: luke - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2001 at 00:00

i have owned a pair of redback lace up boots retail for about $100 and have probabaly walked over 1000km in them while travelling around Aust so value for money they are the best but if using as something to take on an off all the time i would buy the slip on type boot any boot will do as long as you water proof them with dubin
AnswerID: 1129

Reply By: Mark Wilson - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2001 at 00:00

I also have a pair of Redback lace ups and they're great. I had a small problem with a cracked sole after 12 months use and the company replaced them without a whimper. I have "treated" mine with a product made primarily of bees wax which protects and waterproofs without the risk of cracking which can happen from some other applications. From memory mine cost about $100 dollars from Ray's Tent City. wait until the 20% off sale and get them a little cheaper. Having a "sewn in" tongue means you can stand in water half way up your boots without getting wet feet.
Regards Mark
AnswerID: 1130

Reply By: Col - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2001 at 00:00

I have a pair of Colorado lace up boots. They are not real light, but are comfortable, have a good tread and are very supportive. I can and have walked for hours in them. They actually started life as my work shoes, but got promoted to the job as my off road shoes.
AnswerID: 1132

Sponsored Links