Pathfinder O/R camper Gibb River

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 02:28
ThreadID: 4364 Views:2235 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm taking my family in a late model Pathfinder towing a O/R camper for the first time through the Gibb River road in May.

I was wondering if anyone else had been through there with a Pathfinder towing and if they encountered any problems or advice they could pass on?

Thanks

Grahame
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 07:16

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 07:16
Grahame,
Not exactly the answer you're looking for, but for what it's worth, we took a '62 'S' Valiant from Sydneyalong the GRR in the 1989 RedeX Bash and a '69 Fairlane in the RFDS Outback Trek in the late 1990s, and while the road corrugations were unwelcome in various paces I don't remember them causing any grief to any of the cars. Both the cars had travelled on minimum bitumen after leaving Bourke and both went on lots of station-property tracks (as distinct from public roads), thus they got a hammering.
We took four #80s (and wives) along the GRR (no trailers) in '98, went to all the Gorges (but not to Kalumburu - next trip) and had no problems anywhere.
I can't imagine that the GRR should present any problems to a good O/R C/T.
You lucky sod,
DickyBeach
AnswerID: 17443

Follow Up By: Paul - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 00:29

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 00:29
I was on that RFDS trek also!
FollowupID: 11131

Reply By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 07:39

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 07:39
should be a piece of cake although Pentecost River may be a tad high so early in the season. Some places may not open until June either depending on late rains. Check with CALM office in Broome.
AnswerID: 17445

Reply By: Graham - Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 16:27

Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 16:27
Recall someone on the caravan forum ? (or was it the campertrail or Overlander forum? ) had done a trip in the Pathy towing Goldstream? camper ...didn't ahve a problem except for one of the horn brackets failing on the Tanami thru fatigue due to the corrugations on the Bungle bungles and Tanami....if he hadn't picked the probelm early could have resulted in damaged to air con radiator.......
AnswerID: 17510

Reply By: Frankenstein - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 20:49

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 20:49
We did the GRR late last year in a Landcruiser towing an outback canvas C/T. The electric brakes on the C/T disintegrated with the vibrations, as did much of the kitchen utensils from the continuous pounding, beer cans wore holes in the sides from rubbing against each other. The rollers on the slide out kitchen smashed as did the UHF CB antenna (Dick Smith stainless steel variety) Fibreglass ones are the go. The ageing deep cycle fridge battery decided to throw in the towel at this time also. We had no flat tyres but had met people who had up to 5 punctures (2 in 5K's in one case). ALKO have since released a new brake system designed to withstand this corrugations much better with a ceramic sleeve in the magnet. There is a lot of corrugated dirt road with not much assistance so make sure you are well prepared. Pack everything in well - wine cask bladders can be inflated to pack in any extra space, put your beer cans in socks to reduce the wear. Make sure heavy items like spare wheels and water tanks are secure and can't wobble.

Good luck - it is well worth the effort - Don't miss the Bungle Bungles its well worth the visit - We took the camper in there also.
AnswerID: 17610

Follow Up By: Member - Tim- Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 01:51

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 01:51
have to agree
did GRR in 2001 only real problems was the bloodly corragations lost
1 tyre
1 overhead console
2 tinnes
1 bot wine
1 cd player
1 engel frigde compressor(6 years old)
But must seemitchell falls bungles Manning gorge bell gorge and lastly TAKE your time and enjoy
Tim
FollowupID: 11073

Sponsored Links