Rodeo V Navara

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 22:01
ThreadID: 4372 Views:1955 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has any one got any experiences with these two ??? I am now only weeks away from the decision. Have test Driven both a Navara dualcab and rodeo dualcab. Both drive extreamly well ! I am particularly interested in reliblity and resale?
Thanks Brian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 22:37

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 22:37
Brian.
There is better motor in the navara but the back seat is useless, so it comes down to what you want the back seat for, if its a parcel shelf then buy the nissan, if you want people to sit in the back buy the navara. Eric
AnswerID: 17486

Follow Up By: Brian - Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 22:39

Saturday, Apr 12, 2003 at 22:39
The back seat will be for the kids! When you say better motor in what way?
Brian
FollowupID: 10961

Reply By: tristjo - Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 00:06

Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 00:06
The 3ltr diesel in the Navara is a ripper, being the same motor out of the Patrol, only minus the intercooler. I think it makes around 110kw which is pretty good by medium ute standards. The Navara would be my pick, mainly because of the motor, but I also beleive that the Nissan is of much higher build quality, and will have a better resale value. The rear seats are a bit uncomfortable for adults, but they will be fine for kids. Just one thing though, i don't know weather there are child seat anchor points in the Navara. The new Rodeo thats just been released should sell much better than the old one, but I think there are still a few questions over Holdens longterm reliability and resale value. The petrol motors in both are pretty good, the Navara doing 127kw (I think??) with the motor out of the Pathy, and the Rodeo has a huge 147kw, and that alone will attract alot of buyers, but the same Holden questions will still remain. The Navara is a great vehicle, and i would not hesitate for a minute recomending it.
Anyway, good luck and happy trails. Tristjo.
AnswerID: 17490

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 00:32

Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 00:32
actually the qd3.0 diesel tubo model does have an intercooler in it as an option for the str series.
anyyway i have a 99 model with the 3.2 and while i do agree with the motor and the seat to an extent i fit a baby seat in it with no probs both forward and rearward facing but will soon be in a booster and plenty of leg room for smaller kids i guess under 15 or so (normal size kids at least).
the motor is unstoppable with good economy but is let down by a bleep y little fuel tank on dual cab models (60 lt) but if you get an aftermarket tank $700 that sorts that out but it all comes down to price and preferance i didnt want a pretty little ute with an awsome top speed or carpet and flash trimmings (no good in the bush )also i believe the navara has more ground clearance but you may want to check in on strengths of the front diff i have heard many reports on these (none 1st hand or direct from an owner.

cheers(slightly biased) 1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
AnswerID: 17492

Follow Up By: tristjo - Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 23:03

Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 23:03
I have just checked the Nissan catalouge for the Navara, and cannot find anything about an intercooler in the ST-R series. Not dissagreeing with you mate, but in the pictures of the motor, there is no top mount intercooler (the ZD30 in the Patrol is top mounted), there is no visable plumbing, and the catalouge only states that it has a 3.0ltr turbo diesel, with 110kw. The ZD30 in the Patrol makes 116kw, so if the navara does have the intercooler, did the de-tune it slightly for the ute??? It's a mystery to me, but if anyone has any ideas on this dilema, please let me me know!!!
Thanks. Tristjo.
FollowupID: 11001

Reply By: Scott - Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 18:37

Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 18:37
I just ordered a new Triton 2.8 litre turbo diesel
Drove a test model 2.8L turbo and fell in love with the size of the cab comfort and space in the engine bay and performance.
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/NT01C93CB6

Is the same bullet proof 2.8L turbo diesel with intercooler from Pajero.
Anybody want to buy a s/h Rodeo. Would never buy another Rodeo.

AnswerID: 17522

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 18:44

Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 18:44
I had a 1990 Rodeo 330,000klms in 10 yrs when I traded it, never missed a beat and was always loaded to the max...

I was towing racebikes, 2 on the car, all gear, jerrys, oils tires fairings and spares for 3 day meetings, 2 people, and sometimes a box trailer with 2 more bikes and the same gear... Awesome car, I would have another in a second.

Its also amazing how many people are your friends when you have a ute and need help MOVING... Probably 20 odd in that time.. >8-(
AnswerID: 17523

Reply By: Eric - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 23:32

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 23:32
Brian.
Kidds have a habit of growing up usualy biger than there parents, so if you intend to use the ute for a few years you could be in trouble, as far as the motor goes the nissan is more eficient making more power with less fuel. but the rodeo motor is not bad. The new triton with the d.i.d motor will be better agian but may be to late for you. Eric.
AnswerID: 17626

Sponsored Links