Local Advice Ellenborough NSW

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 29, 2007 at 08:53
ThreadID: 43756 Views:2916 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Guys...

We're looking for 1 day trip suggestions in the area of Ellenborough / Long Flat NSW. We are planning to be staying locally and wanted to look at a short 4WD trip in the area. We will have mainly Patrols, Cruisers, Jeeps, Prados and larger soft-roaders. We will also have some kids with us so a quiet location that includes water for swimming would be ideal.

Also, looking for accommodation options in the Ellenborough region. A lot of us will more than likely stay at Twin Falls however this is not necessarily an option that all would be happy with so having an alternative would be good to cater for these people as well. Camping will most likely be the preferred option.

We have attempted to contact the Port Macquarie & District 4WD Club via various web addresses and emails but with no success. If anyone has current contacts for them, or other clubs in the area that may have some ideas, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

I agree there does seem to be a lot of amateurs with 4WDs. Not sure if this is because on the whole we fall into a higher socio economic group or that we just like getting away from the noise of the city. I recall the first time I took a Yaesu FT-707 out of the city and fired it up. 80 meters was so quiet I thought that I'd damaged the radio in transit. It was only when I got a response to a call from Napier (New Zealand) that I realised that it was the noise that was gone not the radio. Given that I live in a house full of x-boxes, PCs and assorted noise generators most of my HF work is done portable with an IC706-MKIIG.

Based on the amount of interest shown by others who have travelled with us or been at the same location when we've operated we are planning to some "F" call classes aimed at 4WD and other outdoor types. We're even looking at doing some of these courses in a portable scenario.

By the way for others reading this we are not looking to replace the existing networks but add to the travel experience. Wouldn't it be nice to use a cheaper radio that you can actually talk home on, or even further a field like the rest of the world?

Regards
Kim & Peter (VK2US)

Gallery: http://images.vk2us.id.au/

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter from Bare Tracks Adventurers Group - Thursday, Mar 29, 2007 at 08:56

Thursday, Mar 29, 2007 at 08:56
Guys...

Sorry if the above is a little confusing but I off line edited the messages and posted 2 in the same one.

Regards
AnswerID: 230404

Follow Up By: Rocky_QLD - Thursday, Mar 29, 2007 at 10:20

Thursday, Mar 29, 2007 at 10:20
Hi Peter

Fancy seeing you guys in here

Rocky
From A&E
FollowupID: 491245

Reply By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 29, 2007 at 09:07

Thursday, Mar 29, 2007 at 09:07
Kim & Peter,

I am a member of the Port Macquarie & District 4WD Club, but am presently away and will not be home till Sunday. When I get home I will be happy to give you the contact details of a few people in the club, but as this is a public forum, I will not post those details here, and as you are not a member of this forum, I cannot MM you.

If we can arrange some method of communicating off forum, I will pass on the relevant details to you.
AnswerID: 230406

Reply By: Zodarp - Thursday, Mar 29, 2007 at 10:57

Thursday, Mar 29, 2007 at 10:57
Hi Kim and Peter

There are lots areas to explore in the Ellenbrough/ Long Flat areas. Cells river, although a little further out, is a popular and sometimes challenging drive.
You can camp near the river at the public camping ground at Ellenbrough or there is motel type accommodation at Mt. Seaview. Please advise email contact details for more information on day trips.

Regards

Zodarp
AnswerID: 230427

Follow Up By: Zodarp - Saturday, Mar 31, 2007 at 06:24

Saturday, Mar 31, 2007 at 06:24
Hi Kim and Peter

Received your email address yesterday, however my email was returned. Please send your address again just in case I got it wrong or perhaps you have a filter that blocks yahoo.

regards

Zodarp
FollowupID: 491628

Reply By: hoyks - Saturday, Mar 31, 2007 at 07:47

Saturday, Mar 31, 2007 at 07:47
A good loop for a day trip would be to head up to Elands and Elllenbourgh Falls, then continue on to the Dingo Tops Road and venture up to Blue Nob Lookout, then if you are palnning on heading back the Wingham/Taree waycome down past Dingo Tops (in Tapin Tops NP these days I think) picnic area where you have the option of Werrol Flat and then Wingham, of Mt George then Wingham.

The more adventurous could head down Jeep Trail and into the Cells River area.

You might have more luck if you search for Elands as it is the nearest town, Ellenbourgh is more a locality.

Try contacting the Manning Valley tourist office.

or

Site Link
AnswerID: 230798

Sponsored Links