Solar Charger for a satphone battery

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 16:30
ThreadID: 4377 Views:1639 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all. Here's a curly one for all the techies out there:
I have a Motorola 9500 satphone with a spare battery. While I'm in a vehicle, no problems, I plug it into the lighter outlet. However, when I'm out in remote country surveying or collecting samples for quite a few days carrying the satphone in my backpack I have a problem.

The 3.6v Lithium Ion batteries are designed to discharge at 5% per day. For safety reasons, and in case I find something interesting and need to make detailed reports on scene, AND, I'm out in the weeds well away from the vehicle for a week or more, I would like the ability to "top up" the batteries. Here's the rub - The solar panel supplied by Motorola is too heavy to carry and far too expensive to buy (almost as much as a new phone!)

So what I need is a small light (fit in a pack pocket or under the top flap)and relatively inexpensive solar panel set up ( I have the gear and skills to construct one to specs or from a kit) that will charge the 3.6V LI ION batteries. I've been told that a "special setup" is needed to charge these particular type of batteries. Is this the case? Are these batteries the same as the usual mobile phone batteries?

Can anyone technically/electrically/solar minded help me out with this problem? Cheers, Mario
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 13:44

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 13:44
mario, Check out Jaycar Electronics for small s/panels, they even have some folding ones. But wouldn't you mount it on top of backpack through the day so you were getting max charge into the phone?
hooroo...
AnswerID: 17587

Reply By: Eric - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 23:43

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 23:43
Mario.
This type of battery is normaly charged with pulses because that is the fast way of charging but if you are trickle charging you can use a normal voltage regulator. There are 6 volt panel/chargers made for electric fences, that are well priced. Eric.
AnswerID: 17627

Reply By: Darrin - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 10:52

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 10:52
Sorry I cant be of any help . But if you find something appropriate could you let us all know or notify me at lisadarrin@hotmil.com
thanks.
AnswerID: 17749

Sponsored Links