Camping Bamaga, Seisia, or Pointy Bit

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 22:48
ThreadID: 4382 Views:4635 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We are going to Cape York in July and are not sure where to stay. We are camping and have three young kids and has a few other kids in our group.

Would appreciate anyones thoughts on the best spot to stay when near the top.

Cheers

Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Paul - Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 23:52

Sunday, Apr 13, 2003 at 23:52
We are heading that way (with wife and 3 girls aged 3, 5 and 9) at the end of April and will take till about late June till mid July to get there - get a copy of Ron & Viv Moon's Cape York and this should give you plenty to consider.

Apart from that we have always been told to speak to all and sundry at the parks you stay at and this maybe your next best advice!!

Enjoy
AnswerID: 17548

Reply By: Member - Mal - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 12:05

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 12:05
Andrew,
There is a beautiful camp ground at Punsand Bay right up the top. Right on the water, facilities, small shop, restaurant etc..
Mal T.
AnswerID: 17574

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 13:08

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 13:08
I second Andrews comments.Punsand Bay is lovely. We had a spot under palm trees only a few metres from the beach. I certainly wouldn't recommend staying at Bamaga (don't recall there g\being anywhere anyway). Siesa is nice but IMHO Punsand Bay is better.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 11033

Follow Up By: bob_h - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 20:46

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 20:46
I 'third' Andrew's comments.Punsand Bay is GREAT- hospitality, service and facilities (and they have ice creams!!). Gary the owner is really good with kids.
Take note of Gary's 'poetic' ditties as you drive in from the road (fairly challenging 11km).
Seisia is a friendly place, but the sand underfoot is really gritty and sticks to everything when it rains- which it will!
enjoy, and don't forget to see Gary's fishing photo albums.
FollowupID: 11058

Follow Up By: bob_h - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 20:48

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 20:48
ps: and a pool - the kids will love it
FollowupID: 11059

Reply By: Member - Phil- Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 13:34

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 13:34
We stayed @ loyalty Beach , a few kms from Seisia and nowhere near as crowded. Cant recall directions (am at work) however there were flyers at some of the roadhouses that gave full details.

When we arrived at Seisia the only spot left was by the toilet block, went to Loyalty beach and had the place to ourselves. Friendly management, several shelters right on the beach, and a small shop.
AnswerID: 17585

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 15:32

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 15:32
Andrew Loyalty beach camping ground is our place of choice ,
it is about 5ks past bamaga on the way to Seisia you will see plenty of signs on your way. The turn of is on your right then just follow the signs.
It would be an idea to ring Dan on 07 4069 3372 to tell him you are coming.
We like to stay there because its close but not close to Bamaga & Seisia also to the wharf . it has washing machines etc . Dan can also book your Thursday IL trips and joy flights and fishing trips. He also sells a few grocary items .
Ill see you there.
All the best Eric
PS to buy your souvenirs get them from Geoffs tent on the way to the top
he has the biggest range out of Cook town.Cape York Connections
AnswerID: 17589

Follow Up By: SteveB - Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 16:42

Monday, Apr 14, 2003 at 16:42
In August we had a great time around the top. Seisia for us was great. The Host at Punsand was also, togerther with 3 barramundi off the rocks west along the beach added to the fun. I think your only worry is leaving home to get there. once there (from Weipa up) there were no problems.
Cheers Steve B.
FollowupID: 11048

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 20:04

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 20:04
I think its time we caught up with each other Eric. Please give me a call next time your in Cairns 0402 329 372 and I will buy you a beer. Cheers RobCairns Offroad Training & Tours
FollowupID: 11115

Reply By: Member - Jeff - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 20:48

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 20:48
Go for Punsund Bay - above ground pool, plenty of grass for the kids to play on, bush turkeys to watch, bar and restraunt. The best thing is the kids club - the kids get dinner an hour earlier (fish,chips,nuggets etc) and sit them down on the grass with a video machine (latest Disney videos) - they also give them a ice block. They will play the videos until you are ready to take them back to camp. Plenty of shade aswell - other places we saw did not have. Can also get a ferry to Thursday Is from the beach and there is a great sandy 4Wd track that runs from the Bay to the actual top of Oz - Gary also gives great advice on fishing and stirs the hell out of Mexican's - they provide mud maps for other trips along the coast up that way - loved the stay there. Have Fun, Cheers BeddoCheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Nifold Plain, Cape York
AnswerID: 17805

Sponsored Links